PDA

View Full Version : Post eBay Frustrated Seller Auctions Here!

commando
02-18-2009, 05:33 PM
I know eBay has turned into a tough place to make a buck... But boy, some sellers seem to be just plain crazy. Take, for example, this auction for a Denver Gold "game used" helmet. Just read this guy's description:

Hi All: This item is a rarity. If you were a fan of the USFL, this is a must-have. It is a Denver Gold game worn helmet which is either from the 1983 or 1984 season. (In 1985, the Gold ditched the metallic gold for yellow gold and removed the center stripe). The helmet shows game use both inside and outside. As for player markings, I haven't found any, but rest assured, I have never seen any "mock-ups" (repainted helmets to look like the original). You will rarely see anything game worn this cheap. Also I need to ask a favor. If you are just looking, please don't watch the item. It does you no good and it frustrates me. And please do not question the price or my knowledge of the USFL. I covered the league and had season tickets to the Generals. You are getting a bargain as compared to two other helmets being sold - a Blitz and a Panthers helmet. One patron said he wouldn't give me x amount (eextremely low) because "Denver sucked and Chicago was good." Um, the Blitz barely finished the league's second season and were disbanded for year three (an expansion franchise was granted to then ChiSox owner Eddie Einhorn). Denver was a sub - .500 club the first two seasons (near .500 both seasons) and made the playoffs in year 3, only to lose to Memphis. Former Bears QB Vince Evans would have set records in the run and shoot offense had it not been for Jim Kelly in Houston. Shipping for this item will be $25 via US Priority mail, but I can send this to you any way you'd like. No refunds, no returns.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Football-Helmet-USFL-Game-Worn-Helmet_W0QQitemZ120380592792QQihZ002QQcategoryZ501 22QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mr.miracle
02-18-2009, 06:00 PM
I know eBay has turned into a tough place to make a buck... But boy, some sellers seem to be just plain crazy. Take, for example, this auction for a Denver Gold "game used" helmet. Just read this guy's description:

Hi All: This item is a rarity. If you were a fan of the USFL, this is a must-have. It is a Denver Gold game worn helmet which is either from the 1983 or 1984 season. (In 1985, the Gold ditched the metallic gold for yellow gold and removed the center stripe). The helmet shows game use both inside and outside. As for player markings, I haven't found any, but rest assured, I have never seen any "mock-ups" (repainted helmets to look like the original). You will rarely see anything game worn this cheap. Also I need to ask a favor. If you are just looking, please don't watch the item. It does you no good and it frustrates me. And please do not question the price or my knowledge of the USFL. I covered the league and had season tickets to the Generals. You are getting a bargain as compared to two other helmets being sold - a Blitz and a Panthers helmet. One patron said he wouldn't give me x amount (eextremely low) because "Denver sucked and Chicago was good." Um, the Blitz barely finished the league's second season and were disbanded for year three (an expansion franchise was granted to then ChiSox owner Eddie Einhorn). Denver was a sub - .500 club the first two seasons (near .500 both seasons) and made the playoffs in year 3, only to lose to Memphis. Former Bears QB Vince Evans would have set records in the run and shoot offense had it not been for Jim Kelly in Houston. Shipping for this item will be $25 via US Priority mail, but I can send this to you any way you'd like. No refunds, no returns.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Football-Helmet-USFL-Game-Worn-Helmet_W0QQitemZ120380592792QQihZ002QQcategoryZ501 22QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know about anybody else but that auction is just a screaming invitation to add this it to my watch list.

mariner_gamers
02-18-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't know about anybody else but that auction is just a screaming invitation to add this it to my watch list.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Vintagedeputy
02-18-2009, 06:28 PM
I hit it.

shoremen44
02-18-2009, 08:20 PM
we should all watch it just to piss him off....

Instanton
02-18-2009, 09:13 PM

Done.

jobathenut
02-19-2009, 01:12 AM
wow,how old are we?:rolleyes: ....i used to be a seller on ebay and i know what this seller is talking about,that watch thing gives you a false sense of how many people are intertested in your item and how mnay possible bidders you might have on it,i think its a stubid feature,you see all those people watching it,thinking they are going to bid,i mean why watch if youre not going to........but then theres alot about ebay that is stubid,its why i dont sell on there anymore...

cjw
02-19-2009, 01:43 AM
wow,how old are we?:rolleyes: ....i used to be a seller on ebay and i know what this seller is talking about,that watch thing gives you a false sense of how many people are intertested in your item and how mnay possible bidders you might have on it,i think its a stubid feature,you see all those people watching it,thinking they are going to bid,i mean why watch if youre not going to........but then theres alot about ebay that is stubid,its why i dont sell on there anymore...

Wow! We wouldn't want to deal with "false sense of how many people are interested" would we?...are we hyper-sensitive society or what?

jobathenut
02-19-2009, 06:30 AM
im sorry,i just dont see the humor with messing with someone like this,the person is just asking if youre not interested,dont watch the item,and you guys are saying,really,this person doesnt want us to watch it if we dont intend to bid on it,well then lets watch it then,why?,just to be mean and play with the seller...yeah,that's funny...i mean come on,the person is just trying to sell a item and in these days of tough times,i just think it's not funny to play childess games with someone like that....but then i'm just being "hyper senstive",cause i fail to see why you would even want to do this,whats the point of it?....i sure hope you're not looking to sell something and have someone do this to you........and you can call me hyper sensitive,but i call it being a adult.... i came off the playground along time ago:) ........
Wow! We wouldn't want to deal with "false sense of how many people are interested" would we?...are we hyper-sensitive society or what?

sammy
02-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Jobathenut, I'm with you on this one.

Sellers put up with enough garbage from eBay and loser bidders, now these guys want to heap more on.

For what purpose, other then to be ........?

GarkoCollector
02-19-2009, 08:41 AM
If you are going to post something in the listing like "Don't question the price or my knowledge of the USFL"...thats just screams "Hey, I'm a self righteous d-bag!"

If you dont want watchers, dont sell items online. If a store told people that they didnt want people looking in their window and they either needed to buy something or leave, there would be an uproar.

shoremen44
02-19-2009, 09:55 AM
I am 31... and yes I am watching his helmet to be an A**...

I find his listing funny... and he is already making an A** of himself by writing it... I figured I'd join the group

I also like Cadyshack, Blazing Sadles, and the Three Stooges

commando
02-19-2009, 10:49 AM
I can promise you that I never started this thread to pick on anyone. To be honest, I AM interested in the helmet. Bit I will not bid on this, because just about every red flag in the book shows up on this guy. If you want to sell game-used sports memorabilia, be ready to answer a few questions. Period. Don't ramble about how you used to attend a few games from an entirely different team in the league, and try to throw in a vague connection or two.

Anyway, that's what I have to say. If anyone else finds a funny game-used auction, please post it here! That was the purpose of the thread.

Good day, fellow watchers!!!

cjw
02-19-2009, 02:50 PM
im sorry,i just dont see the humor with messing with someone like this,the person is just asking if youre not interested,dont watch the item,and you guys are saying,really,this person doesnt want us to watch it if we dont intend to bid on it,well then lets watch it then,why?,just to be mean and play with the seller...yeah,that's funny...i mean come on,the person is just trying to sell a item and in these days of tough times,i just think it's not funny to play childess games with someone like that....but then i'm just being "hyper senstive",cause i fail to see why you would even want to do this,whats the point of it?....i sure hope you're not looking to sell something and have someone do this to you........and you can call me hyper sensitive,but i call it being a adult.... i came off the playground along time ago:) ........

Jobathenut...I should have explained that I don't feel it is necessary to all jump on board and hassle the seller by watching his item. I just wanted to point out that if I had 100 watchers or 1000 it wouldn't bother me, as it is just a number appearing on my Ebay home page - no bid deal.

If I were to get numerous questions, I would realize that I hadn't done a good job of detailing my listing etc.

Watchers can turn into buyers down the road. If thye get an idea that I seel interesting items perhaps they will log me a fav seller and come back to my auctions later.

While the seller is entitled to mention his desire not to have watchers, it shows me that he.she may be difficult to deal with, and perhaps I would chose to avoid his/her auctions.

You are of course right to say that that watching in this case would be spitefull or childish, beacuse, you feel that the seller in impostioned by having to look at a number of watchers.

Just my take....soryy if I offended (oops....is that too PC?)

cjw
02-19-2009, 02:57 PM
sorry for the typos in my earlier post (working from a blackberry and can preview)

Again, i apologized for something. I am so Canadian.

Vintagedeputy
02-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Looks like he ended it...

too many watchers I guess (including me) :)

jobathenut
02-19-2009, 08:09 PM
thank you sammy:) ....glad to hear that im not the only one who thinks this is garbage to do this.....
Jobathenut, I'm with you on this one.

Sellers put up with enough garbage from eBay and loser bidders, now these guys want to heap more on.

For what purpose, other then to be ........?

jobathenut
02-19-2009, 08:20 PM
my whole point was just the " let's watch it",cause the sellers doesnt want us to.....i will agree that whole,dont ask me questions thing is strange on the sellers part........as being a seller anserwing questions is part of selling on there or anywhere,so i have no idea why the seller would say that.....and yes,i wouldnt bid on it cause he says that,why dont you want people to question it,especially a game used item,people are going to want to know things about it,maybe the seller doesnt want people to argue with him or her about it........i just think the whole lets watch is very inmature....and thats all i was saying about it....
I can promise you that I never started this thread to pick on anyone. To be honest, I AM interested in the helmet. Bit I will not bid on this, because just about every red flag in the book shows up on this guy. If you want to sell game-used sports memorabilia, be ready to answer a few questions. Period. Don't ramble about how you used to attend a few games from an entirely different team in the league, and try to throw in a vague connection or two.

Anyway, that's what I have to say. If anyone else finds a funny game-used auction, please post it here! That was the purpose of the thread.

Good day, fellow watchers!!!

jobathenut
02-19-2009, 08:29 PM
i'll give you the first part,i agree,why dont you want people to ask questions about it,even though the name calling is a little harsh,i agree with you....and the seller sounds to have a little ego thing going........but the last thing you wrote is just funny,you lost me,thats not even close to whats going on here,just a little over reaching to make your point there,to me......but ansewer me this....that featuire is to give the seller a idea of hoiw many people are interested in thier item so why would someone watch it,if they dont intend to bid on it..........i never would watch a item i had no intention to bid on......its the same logic when you tell someone what your reserve is at but they still bid under it........
If you are going to post something in the listing like "Don't question the price or my knowledge of the USFL"...thats just screams "Hey, I'm a self righteous d-bag!"

If you dont want watchers, dont sell items online. If a store told people that they didnt want people looking in their window and they either needed to buy something or leave, there would be an uproar.

commando
02-19-2009, 08:37 PM
The "watch" feature is a tool that can be used several ways, most of them by potential buyers. For instance, a person might have $200 to spend, but isn't sure what to buy. He browses eBay and finds several items, and "watches" them to remember what he found. He can then go back later and decide which items he wants and can afford. Another thing that I personally do is watch items I know I won't be buying, but am curious what the final price will be (we all do this, I'm sure). Another thing some folks do is use the watch feature because they know they WILL be bidding, but not just yet.

I sell items here and there, and I have noticed how many people are watching my items. I can't say I've ever become frustrated because several people watched, but forgot to bid! :D

jobathenut
02-19-2009, 08:55 PM
yesh,i know all of that about the "watch feature".....but as a seller,you think that people are watching it to bid on it,and thats all i was saying,i know people use it for those other things.....they also use it,to see if a item gets something cause they have the same item and can judge by that what vlaue it gets on there.....again my point was,to watch it just cause the seller tells you not to is childess......i wish i was like you,cause when i used to sell on there (i dont any more,cause of thier rule changes)it used to frustrate me alot when i would have a ton of watchers and no bidders on the item.......
The "watch" feature is a tool that can be used several ways, most of them by potential buyers. For instance, a person might have $200 to spend, but isn't sure what to buy. He browses eBay and finds several items, and "watches" them to remember what he found. He can then go back later and decide which items he wants and can afford. Another thing that I personally do is watch items I know I won't be buying, but am curious what the final price will be (we all do this, I'm sure). Another thing some folks do is use the watch feature because they know they WILL be bidding, but not just yet.

I sell items here and there, and I have noticed how many people are watching my items. I can't say I've ever become frustrated because several people watched, but forgot to bid! :D

BergerKing22784
02-21-2009, 11:06 AM
I love the watch feature. Before it I would either bid the min (if it was like an auction that started at 99 cents or something) Or I would have to bookmark the item in my web browswer. It was a pain in the butt to delete all of those links after auctions ended.

Like someone else said. If I have X amount of dollars to spend and i see various items I might be interested in I will "watch" them and come back to them at a later time. If the item stays in my price range I will bid if I have not spent my money on other things.

Also I watch items to get a range of what I should be paying for items. If I feel an item is listed at too high of a price I will watch it and see if anyone bids. If anyone doesnt bid my suspecisions are correct and that item is really not worth what they wanted. A buyer using it as a tool should not be frowned upon by a seller because chances are you wil benefit from it at some point.

As far as using it to get back at the seller I wont do it but I do not see nothing wrong with it. They are not bidding on the item and not paying. If the seller wants to be a D-Bag he gets what he deserves.