PDA

View Full Version : Frustrations of collecting.

gingi79
02-19-2009, 12:26 AM
I just want to know if I am the only one.

I collect specific players. In Baseball, I want a Kelly Gruber and every Shawn Camp jersey. In hockey I look for Sami Salo and Pavel Bure. Football starts and ends with OJ McDuffie. Barring an amazing deal on Canucks/Dolphins/Braves/Jays jerseys that I can't pass on, these are all I am looking for.

However, these players jerseys come up more rarely than most. It took me 6+ years to find my Salo Grail and I am getting frustrated with the rest.

Collectors, how do you deal with the boredom on no new items? When this board and other fail to list your favorite items and eBay is vacant, how do you deal with the frustration?

I don't find joy in anything but my guys, how do I settle for waiting?

mariner_gamers
02-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Try expanding the scope of what you collect. I had just the opposite problem I had to narrow down what I collected. That being said when Mariner bats I need do not show up for a while I have been known to buy multiples of several players to help pass the time. My wife still gets on me about my 4 Russ Davis bats.....

jetersbatboy
02-19-2009, 12:50 AM
I think the "Frustrations" of collecting are the most fun!!! If everyday I could buy a game used Japanese players bat, I would be bored. Its more fun to hunt something down and, When your piece finally comes up. It just makes it all the more satisfying!! Just my thoughts!

skyking26
02-19-2009, 01:02 AM
This is an excellent thread, and one I am currently dealing with same situations.

Longtime, 30 some year Kingman collector. Deal of my career in 08 landed me stuff I'd never dreamed of owning the ENTIRE year of deals. It's no wonder now I am bored. How do you compete with a year like 08?

Well, I collect other guys too, which helps. McGwire, Thome, Adam Dunn and bats from the championship Detroit Tigers pass my other time.

Same thing though, I have specific needs. Collecting Tigers champ. bats - there is significant competition so lower tier players go for high dollars. Examples are Barbaro Garbey, utility DH for 84 Tigers, also played for Twins. 2 bats turned up at Christmas at $366 and $242 respectively. No way.

McGwire. Mr. volatile. His prices are all over the place. Everybody has a different idea what it is worth depending on if you are buying or selling. I'm looking for a home jersey Cards or A's. Good luck there. I offered a guy $2500 last weekend for a 99 McGwire home that he first tried unsuccessfully to sell on ebay, then to another member for $3200, then to me for $2800. After my offer of $2500 and all the time he spent trying to sell it he says his phone is ringing off the hook in his business and he does not need to sell!!! I also need a signed, uncracked Mac Cards nicely used gamer. Prices range from $2500 down to $1500 "if" you can find one. Alot were given away by Mac circa 98 after he prepped them so no use.

Thome. Good luck. I need a black Phillies M356 hammered unc. gamer. Try an find any Thome Phillies stuff. For whatever reason, his tenure with Philly is more sought after than CLE or CHI. Under the radar guy with no hype, he could hit 600 HRS and still people will ask who he is. Rarely is his stuff seen.

Dunn. Reds stuff pops up. 5 40 HR seasons now. I've seen his jersey sell low in the $400 range, but I'm always a day late. Strangely enough I've been offered FOUR 2005 Reds Alternate jerseys at different times all from different guys. Go figure. What is the deal with that jersey? Or, is the same shirt floating around our small hobby?? I'll need Nats stuff when it is available. Diamondbacks stuff went on MLB.COM but that was a crapshoot.

Frustrations are encountered by a) trying to find the stuff, and b) the dealings with public on the items like the Mac Cards shirt above. I've been sidelined with an injury/illness since June and was shocked at the way that went down considering what I've been thru. It's definately somebody's right to sell at whatever they want...but is it or is it not actually for sale is the question? In that instance I could not tell.

I took a long way to answer this, but yes, you are not the only one to encounter frustrations. The hobby and several friends here have made the illness more bearable with phone and email conversation and I appreciate it, and their understanding of me thru this.

Peace and happy collecting...

RK

Sluggo
02-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Same thing though, I have specific needs. Collecting Tigers champ. bats - there is significant competition so lower tier players go for high dollars. Examples are Barbaro Garbey... 2 bats turned up at Christmas at $366 and $242 respectively. No way.

Agreed - great thread. Two things generally keep me positive -
1) hearing the success of others in the hobby finding their grail items, and 2) me actively trying to help others when I hear of something they might not find on their own.

I'd give a limb to see one bat per year of some of my frustration guys, much less two in the same month. Since two showed up, and (I assume) sold at those prices, doesn't that kind of set a fair market price point for Garbey bats today?

skyking26
02-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Agreed - great thread. Two things generally keep me positive -
1) hearing the success of others in the hobby finding their grail items, and 2) me actively trying to help others when I hear of something they might not find on their own.

I'd give a limb to see one bat per year of some of my frustration guys, much less two in the same month. Since two showed up, and (I assume) sold at those prices, doesn't that kind of set a fair market price point for Garbey bats today?
At $366 and $242, no. I think it was some guys that just lost sense of their facilties wanting to fill a void. Rare bat, but I would not put that price their. It's artificial and would not have approached that if I had not helped put it up!!!

GarkoCollector
02-19-2009, 07:29 AM
With Garko I have to pick and choose. There isnt a lot that I am interested in and trading cards wise, I have 95% of whats out there. The rest is likely still in a box somewhere or is owned by someone that snagged it before I had money to buy.

When a great piece pops up, I have to sacrifice other opportunities to get it but I enjoy my collection and thats what its all about. I dont want to expand to other players because I think that takes away the timportance of what I really like.

ironmanfan
02-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Gingi.....While Gruber never played for the Orioles (was with AAA Rochester that year), this is a jersey that you could probably add to your collection for an affordable price..

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=91412&LastLotListing=Lot%20Search%20List&CurrentRow=1

dcgreg25
02-19-2009, 09:12 AM
It certainly can be frustrating searching for specific players. I have a few that I look for specifically Raghib "Rocket" Ismail, Eric Metcalf and Kenny Lofton.

There is just not much Rocket GU stuff out there, I have a Raiders jersey and some other signed SI's etc, but was fortunate enough to meet Rocket at the ND/Michigan game last year. I also started a new niche baseball collection of Kenny Lofton jerseys adding a Rangers and Phillies jersey last year. Give how well-traveled he is, I would love to add one from each of his teams. I had three Indians GU jerseys years ago but sold them off to make another purchase. Ouch!

Otherwise, I just keep my eyes open for good Indians jerseys particularly from the 90's. It can be frustrating but I find that having a few niches helps keep me busy and I don't get too frustrated waiting for that one item.

BTW, below is a pick of Rocket and I from the tailgate before the game.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/gregguy25/rocket.jpg

JCC1968
02-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi

I live in Sarasota, FL and know Kelly Gruber. He didn't really keep any of his stuff so, it's out there somewhere. He wouuld like to get some of it back

Jason

nationals2k9
02-19-2009, 09:56 AM
I would just like to vent quick about the whole Ebay or Paypal FEES plus funds being held for no reason plus outrageous shipping costs plus UPS delivering goods in damaged condition or USPS not being allowed to leave a package b/c I have a job and can't sign for it and then having to leave work early and go across town and walk a mile to deal with the a-holes at the post office.

Add that into the time and energy involved with looking for items I'm actually after and then worrying if they're legit game-used... it makes the whole process tough to continue sometimes!

That's all.

nkeubie@embarqmail.com
02-19-2009, 11:15 AM
I share your frustrations looking for lesser known players. I collect game used items of Jeremy Affeldt, Kevin Seitzer, Justin Huber, and Chad Durbin - items hardly ever come up for auction on them. Occasionally I step outside those player collections just to satisfy my urge to pick up a new game used item....but I still mainly stick with current/past Royals players.

Nick

corsairs22
02-19-2009, 11:41 AM
During the months and even years when I don't see a bat that fits into my collection, I sock away a few extra dollars each month so that I can buy the bats when they appear. To keep from getting bored, I look at my current collection and read a book.

gingi79
02-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Gingi.....While Gruber never played for the Orioles (was with AAA Rochester that year), this is a jersey that you could probably add to your collection for an affordable price..

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=91412&LastLotListing=Lot%20Search%20List&CurrentRow=1

You know, I saw another Orioles Gruber a year or so back minus the patches and I was intrigued. However, since he played the whole season with Rochester, is this a game issued jersey? Mears claims there is use but Baseball-almanac.com lists him as retired after his stint with the California Angels in 1993.

Another collector on the board mentioned he knew Kelly down in Florida. Could you ask him if he ever actually played in the shirt or for the Orioles? Thanks guys, I feel better already!

ironmanfan
02-19-2009, 12:35 PM
I would imagine it would be a "game issued" shirt as he was never recalled by the Orioles during that campaign.....I saw Kelly play with Rochester that summer in Scranton (signed my program).

jppopma
02-22-2009, 01:01 AM
I too feel the frustrations of not being able to find jerseys from the few local guys I collect. They just don't seem to come around much at all, and when they do I somehow miss out on alot of them. Part of that is trying to keep myself on a budget (I have the same bad luck as Skyking there). Seems to be that when something I have been waiting for comes up, it always has some problems or questions and then seems to still go very high.

My main frustration is when my dutch takes over and I miss out on an item that I really wanted because it was not a good enough "deal". There are a few things that I still kick myself over.

The best way to avoid getting too frustrated is to look at what you have found or achieved and try to focus on that rather than the negative. It will all come around eventually.

bigtruck260
02-22-2009, 02:37 AM
I collect my favorite Cardinals players from 1983-now. The most expensive bats are already on my walls...but I still need a Juan Encarnacion Cards bat.

Funny thing is, I've owned 3 of them at some point.

When I get stuck with not finding what I want/need for my collection, I try to buy bats of players I already have. I compare them and sometimes, I end up with an 'upgrade', which is good.

I also try to practice my bat repair technique on broken ones. I would guess that over the past two years, I've fixed 20 or so bats - and am good enough now that I could probably start a business if I thought there was a market in my city.

There are lots of things you can do to pass the time...try buying some cheaper bats and then 'flip' or trade them to others who might not have seen them. Never hurts to have a few trade items in your collection.

xpress34
02-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Dave -

I agree with the idea of having trade stuff in the collection...

A prime example (or two or three) for me are my GU Hats from Garrett Atkins, Vinny Castilla and Andres Galarraga.

I didn't really need or want any of them for my collection, but the prices at the time were too good to pass up. Both the Castilla and the Galarraga are DUAL signed (beneath the bill and on top of the bill) and the Atkins is not signed (yet! - I'm off to ST in March)... all three have LOAs from the Rox (all thought the Galarraga is a scanned copy - the original was one of the casualties of my basement flood a few years back)

I'm in no big hurry to move them, but they are definately available - for sale or trade if I find something I'm looking for...

- Chris

godwulf
02-22-2009, 11:43 AM
I guess the opposite problem of collecting too narrowly would be when you find yourself collecting too broadly - collecting, as I have, virtually anything from a certain team that becomes available, sometimes even when you already have one exactly like it. The frustration comes from barely having the time to catalog the (mostly, in my case) bats, let alone having the time or space to display them. At times, I have to admit, I feel more like a hoarder than a collector. I have nobody to blame but myself, of course - I just need to get a grip and take more time to focus on and enjoy what I've already collected, and not worry so much if I miss an auction every once in awhile.

He writes, after just winning three more bats on eBay...:rolleyes:

xpress34
02-22-2009, 02:57 PM
I just need to get a grip and take more time to focus on and enjoy what I've already collected, and not worry so much if I miss an auction every once in awhile.

He writes, after just winning three more bats on eBay...:rolleyes:

Hahaha... I feel your pain... actually the only auctions that really set me off when I miss them are for cards for a few sets I am working that only show up once in a blue moon...