PDA

View Full Version : Game used memorabilia to autograph or not to autograph

mr.miracle
04-18-2006, 01:26 PM
I just wanted some opinions on this topic as I have heard this go both ways. It is generally better to have game used memorabilia bats, gloves, jersey's, full uniforms, etc. autographed by the player or not? Does this either add or detract value from the item one way or another. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brett

icollectDCsports
04-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Welcome to the forum. Before we start another thread on this, I suggest you give the Search function a try. There've been two or three discussions of this here in the recent past.

suave1477
04-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Mrmiracle if you look up recently past threads we have spoke about this topic before and you can see there how the majority of the Forum feels.
But to give you my input i personally like some of my game used items autographed. I say some bcuz i like most bats autographed and some jerseys, jerseys that may have some kind of significance tie to something the player accomplished i dont like to have autographed if it is an average jersey of a player then sure why not. I personally think it adds value to the jersey and others would agree as others would not it depends on what collectors are out there looking for. Some collectors like autographs on jerseys, some dont. If you do decide to get something autographed try to get a neat and clean autograph and in an area where it doesnt cause you to focus on the autograph instead of the item. You want the autgraph to enhance the item you have not take away from it.

I autograph can add eye appeal!!!

psmachetti
04-19-2006, 08:11 PM
I would have bats , gloves , spikes , helmets autographed but absolutely would not have game jerseys autographed. Personally I think autographing jerseys lowers their value. That's just me though because I enjoy wearing my jerseys around and I wear some of my goalie gamers when I play men's league. :eek:
Paul

suave1477
04-19-2006, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=psmachettiPersonally I think autographing jerseys lowers their value. That's just me though because I enjoy wearing my jerseys around and I wear some of my goalie gamers when I play men's league. :eek:
Paul[/QUOTE]

Its funny you say that bcuz wearing them decreases the value more if not all the way down!!!!

mr.miracle
04-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Hello Mr. Suave:

Any ideas what to use as a search thread for this previously discussed topic? I could not find anything when I tried to find this.

Thanks

Brett

icollectDCsports
04-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Here are a couple of fairly recent threads on this:

Signed Game Worn Jerseys.... - Forums (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=2038&highlight=autographed)

autographs on game used equipment - Forums (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1789&highlight=autographed)

ripkengamers
04-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Brett,
Here are my comments regarding autographing game used equipment.
I don't have an opinion either way on gu eqiupment being autographed

BUT

I do have an issue with vintage items having a recent autograph on them! Why have a nice old piece of memorabilia with a new autograph on it ??

Great to have the autograph match the time period of the piece! As a Ripken collector I do not like to see a vintage or rookie era bat with a new Ripken autograph on it! Just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

Just my 2 cents worth !!

Dan (ripkengamers@aol.com)

psmachetti
04-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Its funny you say that bcuz wearing them decreases the value more if not all the way down!!!!

Yeah I know:D . There are just certain ones I wear that I have no intention of reselling. Practice jerseys, low end backups etc.
Paul

suave1477
04-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Ripken gamer that is a good point as far as getting something old autographed now i guess it depnds on what it is. I have Darryl Strawberrys rookie game used bat and I just met up with him a week ago and had him autograph it. I guess if some where down the line I decided i can always take it off.

But just as a correction on your part a rookie era ripken game used bat is not considered vintage.

stlbats
04-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Suave,

how do you safely remove an autograph from a bat, black or blonde bat without no damage to the bat or evidence of the autograph left on it?

i have wondered this before

thanks

Jason
ripken8@bellsouth.net

suave1477
04-20-2006, 08:45 PM
the only thing possible to remove it with keep in mind (LEAST LIKELY) way to harm the bat would be an extreme light amount of Laquer Thinner on a cloth. You are taking a chance but if done properly it can be done.

icollectDCsports
04-20-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm not going to offer an opinion on what kind of solvent to use to remove an autograph, but I will caution to NOT try to remove an autograph that has been absorbed into the wood grain. You may be able to remove some of the surface ink, but the only way to remove the ink down in the grain is to sand the bat to remove some of the wood itself. Not an attractive option. Many modern bats have finishes on them that seal the wood grain so that penetration of ink into the grain is not likely, but this is an initial concern that should be examined before anyone thinks about removing an autograph (or, perhaps more likely, a personalization) from a bat.