PDA

View Full Version : Elite Sports Marketing, Seller, Arod fake Home Run?? you decide - Everyone should read this

suave1477
02-19-2009, 10:02 PM
(I do not mean to be lengthy so I apologize ahead of time) (Pull up a chair and grab a beer)

Well here is the day that I have been dreading!!!

I say to myself on a daily basis when is an item gonna pop up some time later being sold as something else then what it originally was, whether it was Game Issued and now Game used or something else.

Well today is the day!!!

(Going back 2 years ago)

I was looking on ebay for something cool, game used of ARODS. I was determined to buy something knowing he was going to be big in years to come.
To my surprise Elite on ebay has a Home Run by AROD (Listed as thee Home Run ball). Now knowing at the time, they had worked with AROD that did not come as a shock and I was very excited when I saw it. What made me more excited, that it was autographed by AROD and it was inscribed #341 / 9 14 03 (My birthday) Also with a MLB Hologram (Which I did not check at the time/ My Stupidity) I said if I get anything, I am going to get this!!
This is a piece of history and I want it in my posession!!

It was just listed and only a couple of bids with 7 days to go
So the war is on with anyone who tries to get it!! I wait out the 7 days as the bidding is going higher and higher. I am waiting till the last 5 minutes. At the 5 minute mark I start putting in my bids. Someone else put in there bid right after and out bid me. I got into a bidding war $$$ are going high. "I have to have this ball" we get the ball somewhere over a 1K and at the last minute "I was outbid" DAMNNNNNNNNNNNN

Man was I pissed!!

But I just chalked it up to a loss!!

A week later Elite was selling some items on ebay which a couple I had partial interest in but not really. I called them up about these items and asked if they actually had similar ones to the ones listed they did and gave me an outrageous $$ number for them. I said NO THANKS

Then I said "Hey by the way do you guys have any more of ARODS Home Run balls. I would really like to have one. I would be willing to pay for that!!!
They said sure, let me check ill be right back.......5 minutes go by he gets back on the phone we have one right here........#341. I said huh????

How is that possible I asked? I know it can't be because I just got into a bidding war with someone over that ball on your auction about a week ago and I lost and they won.

He told me oh that's because we have a few of these...... HUH?????
Yes we bought a few of these game used baseballs (MLB Authenticated) from that particular game and had AROD autograph them with the numbered home run he hit in that game and the date

I SAID YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME??? He said nope I said that's terrible your making people believe it is his actual Home Run ball, they said, well it doesn;t actually say that on the ball itself.

I was beside myself!!!

At the same time glad I did lose and wasn;t the guy who spent over a thousand on just an ordinary game used baseball.

WHICH BRINGS US TOO TODAY!! From something I found yesterday

I was surfing ebay when I came across this an actual Home Run Baseball of ARODS. AND IN MY OPINION FOR PRETTY CHEAP!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alex-Rodriguez-Autographed-Home-Run-Ball-341-MLB-PSA_W0QQitemZ300282668770QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item300282668770&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

As you can imagine my excitement started again - at the same time I had forgotten about the incident from 2 years ago

I noticed the seller is accepting offers. I said this will be perfect a Home Run ball dated from my Birthday. I emailed the seller and asked can I have the code from the MLB Hologram. Right after I emailed him. it hit me the situation with Elite where they were passing off game used baseballs that were used in ARODS Home Run game as the actual ball.

He emailed me back the code (HERE IT IS)

Hologram number MR250461 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under BALLS.
Session Product Description: GAME USED BALLS
Game: 9/14/03

Session Name: OAKLAND ATHLETICS @ TEXAS RANGERS
Session Date: September 14, 2003
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: GAME USED BASEBALLS, ATHLETICS VS. RANGERS

I EMAILED THE SELLER AND EXPLAINED TO HIM WHAT HE REALLY HAS AND IF HE WAS AWARE OF THESE ORIGINALLY COMING FROM ELITE - NO RESPONSE AND STILL UP ON EBAY!!!

YOU BE THE JUDGE!!

joelsabi
02-19-2009, 11:18 PM
(I do not mean to be lengthy so I apologize ahead of time) (Pull up a chair and grab a beer)

Well here is the day that I have been dreading!!!

I say to myself on a daily basis when is an item gonna pop up some time later being sold as something else then what it originally was, whether it was Game Issued and now Game used or something else.

Well today is the day!!!

(Going back 2 years ago)

I was looking on ebay for something cool, game used of ARODS. I was determined to buy something knowing he was going to be big in years to come.
To my surprise Elite on ebay has a Home Run by AROD (Listed as thee Home Run ball). Now knowing at the time, they had worked with AROD that did not come as a shock and I was very excited when I saw it. What made me more excited, that it was autographed by AROD and it was inscribed #341 / 9 14 03 (My birthday) Also with a MLB Hologram (Which I did not check at the time/ My Stupidity) I said if I get anything, I am going to get this!!
This is a piece of history and I want it in my posession!!

It was just listed and only a couple of bids with 7 days to go
So the war is on with anyone who tries to get it!! I wait out the 7 days as the bidding is going higher and higher. I am waiting till the last 5 minutes. At the 5 minute mark I start putting in my bids. Someone else put in there bid right after and out bid me. I got into a bidding war $$$ are going high. "I have to have this ball" we get the ball somewhere over a 1K and at the last minute "I was outbid" DAMNNNNNNNNNNNN

Man was I pissed!!

But I just chalked it up to a loss!!

A week later Elite was selling some items on ebay which a couple I had partial interest in but not really. I called them up about these items and asked if they actually had similar ones to the ones listed they did and gave me an outrageous $$ number for them. I said NO THANKS

Then I said "Hey by the way do you guys have any more of ARODS Home Run balls. I would really like to have one. I would be willing to pay for that!!!
They said sure, let me check ill be right back.......5 minutes go by he gets back on the phone we have one right here........#341. I said huh????

How is that possible I asked? I know it can't be because I just got into a bidding war with someone over that ball on your auction about a week ago and I lost and they won.

He told me oh that's because we have a few of these...... HUH?????
Yes we bought a few of these game used baseballs (MLB Authenticated) from that particular game and had AROD autograph them with the numbered home run he hit in that game and the date

I SAID YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME??? He said nope I said that's terrible your making people believe it is his actual Home Run ball, they said, well it doesn;t actually say that on the ball itself.

I was beside myself!!!

At the same time glad I did lose and wasn;t the guy who spent over a thousand on just an ordinary game used baseball.

WHICH BRINGS US TOO TODAY!! From something I found yesterday

I was surfing ebay when I came across this an actual Home Run Baseball of ARODS. AND IN MY OPINION FOR PRETTY CHEAP!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alex-Rodriguez-Autographed-Home-Run-Ball-341-MLB-PSA_W0QQitemZ300282668770QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item300282668770&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

As you can imagine my excitement started again - at the same time I had forgotten about the incident from 2 years ago

I noticed the seller is accepting offers. I said this will be perfect a Home Run ball dated from my Birthday. I emailed the seller and asked can I have the code from the MLB Hologram. Right after I emailed him. it hit me the situation with Elite where they were passing off game used baseballs that were used in ARODS Home Run game as the actual ball.

He emailed me back the code (HERE IT IS)

Hologram number MR250461 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under BALLS.
Session Product Description: GAME USED BALLS
Game: 9/14/03

Session Name: OAKLAND ATHLETICS @ TEXAS RANGERS
Session Date: September 14, 2003
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: GAME USED BASEBALLS, ATHLETICS VS. RANGERS

I EMAILED THE SELLER AND EXPLAINED TO HIM WHAT HE REALLY HAS AND IF HE WAS AWARE OF THESE ORIGINALLY COMING FROM ELITE - NO RESPONSE AND STILL UP ON EBAY!!!

YOU BE THE JUDGE!!

Nice catch. Looking at the MLB database there are 6 baseballs from this day MR250461 thru MR250466. It is my understanding that MLB will specify if it is the auctual HR ball and not a ball used in that game.

Have you asked for the original certificate? I am curious as to how Elite marketed the baseball. Seems from your conversation on the phone with Elite that they were forthright that they marketed these baseballs as a baseball from that game and I hope had a price accordingly. I don't know who is deceiving who. Did the current seller know what he was buying at the time or did that person see this an opportunity to deceive someone some time in the future.

Not showing the original certificate would be a definite redflag.

joelsabi
02-19-2009, 11:23 PM
the auction description says that the baseball was originally purchased from a Texas Rangers charity auction, several years ago. Wonder if he can provide receipt to the auction. I believe the these charity auctions have Texas letterhead on them.

suave1477
02-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Heres the whole thing

Elites original auction was listing the ball as the actual Home Run ball

When i spoke to the rep and questioned him about it, is when his response was "well it doesn't say that on the actual ball"

As to say they are not doing anything wrong even though there auction itself was outright misleading

I don't know if the current seller was the actual winner from 2 years ago.

But since 2 years have passed, the Elite LOA seems to no longer be with it and now substituted for a PSA LOA on the auto

So does the seller now, know where it came from? Is he the one trying to intenionally go along with what Elite was doing and continue to pass it off as being the real thing???

Well look at it like this.... I emailed him what he really does have and he hasn't responded since and it is still up on ebay as such!!!

joelsabi
02-19-2009, 11:40 PM
So does the seller now, know where it came from? Is he the one trying to intenionally go along with what Elite was doing and continue to pass it off as being the real thing???

Well look at it like this.... I emailed him what he really does have and he hasn't responded since and it is still up on ebay as such!!!

As I said, the seller says he got the homerun baseball from a Texas charity auction. I emailed the seller to post the original receipt or document received from the auction.

I would hate this baseball to be passed on to another collector.

skyking26
02-20-2009, 02:36 AM
True Story:

Last year they were doing a big deal with Adam Dunn. Many GU pieces were promised, on a pre-order basis. They were aware of all pieces that a game used glove would be available at $400. I told them I was in - contact when it was time.

Never heard anything. I asked Scot, and he stated Adam never brought one with him as thought. I was disappointed. Then I am on GUU and some member mentions in monthly pickups how thrilled he was to own an Adam Dunn GU glove at $600!!!!! Scot never came to me, the other member must have offered up $600, and Scot pockets a quick $200. Screw Skyking. I started a bitc*fest. Scot emails me and says "what do I have to do to get you to stop all the negative posts?" I said, give me a glove. I'd have paid $600 to begin with! He goes on to say he does not have one, is there something else I wanted. I mentioned a jersey. He states there is one in auction now and he'll pull it and I can buy that. I said, "and what, screw the guys who all have bids on it??" No thanks. What a piece of work. No ethics. A year later, I'm still unhappy, but oh well. People will still buy from him, and that is all he cares about ultimately.

For every negative story like that, I can give you a great experience with the likes of Kim Stigal, Rob Steinmetz, Howard Wolf, etc. who never let you down.

Peace -

suicide_squeeze
02-22-2009, 12:23 AM
My experience with MLB authentication stickers is 100% positive.

If the ball in question was the ACTUAL HOME RUN BALL......MLB's database would say so......NOT just "game used ball" with the game info.

There is no question that A-Rod ball is not the home run ball.....but simply a game used one from the game THAT #341 home run was hit..

And A-Rod is an A-hole for signing it in such a fashion, as it is only confusing to the collector's who get giddy over these misconstrued available items, and lose tract of what they are doing and actually bidding on in the process.

But, hey.......I guess those days are over for A-Rod now anyways, huh?

bigtruck260
02-22-2009, 02:56 AM
There will always be collectors who get burned with a fake somethingorother...and then instead of trashing it or selling it with a correct description, they re-list it on eBay hoping to re-coup the lost money from the auction. They don't even think about the fact that what they are doing is almost WORSE than what the original seller did to them.

Unfortunately, I have seen items on my watch list show up a week after they were purchased...being listed by the winner of the original auction...often just cutting and pasting the original description, stinks.

allstarsplus
02-22-2009, 08:14 AM
My experience with MLB authentication stickers is 100% positive.

If the ball in question was the ACTUAL HOME RUN BALL......MLB's database would say so......NOT just "game used ball" with the game info.

There is no question that A-Rod ball is not the home run ball.....but simply a game used one from the game THAT #341 home run was hit..

And A-Rod is an A-hole for signing it in such a fashion, as it is only confusing to the collector's who get giddy over these misconstrued available items, and lose tract of what they are doing and actually bidding on in the process.

But, hey.......I guess those days are over for A-Rod now anyways, huh?

Steve - I agree with you 100% and can also appreciate Suave's story as these things happen often with these game used balls.

For those that don't do their due dillegence, they are going to get burned real bad!

Caveat emptor!

joelsabi
02-22-2009, 09:31 PM
at the bottom of the ebay listing, there is a section called Other Options where there is a link "Report this item". maybe if enough people complain, they will remove it. so far 4 people have bidded on this baseball.

suicide_squeeze
02-22-2009, 10:39 PM
at the bottom of the ebay listing, there is a section called Other Options where there is a link "Report this item". maybe if enough people complain, they will remove it. so far 4 people have bidded on this baseball.

Done.

intheminors
02-23-2009, 12:34 PM
I've noticed that no one from Elite has bothered to step up and answer any questions with this story and with my own experience that I posted a few weeks ago. That, in itself, should tell you all you need to know about Elite Sports Marketing.

They could care less what we think, as long as they can keep the lights on in the building.

Kyle

suave1477
02-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Not a 100% sure but looks like someone bought it.

I say not sure because the winning bidder has 0 feedback. If he is a new ebay member, what a sad way to make your first purchase on ebay.