Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frikativ54
    • Dec 2007

Anybody Have Guilts About Game-Used Collecting

I often have guilts about collecting game-used, even though I love to get Bagwell items. I think that the money could be used for more fruitful endeavors, and that all I have to show for it is having a large collection of some guy who could hit a ball far's clothing.

Honestly, do any of you guys feel the same way? Is it just me? It's not like I am going to stop collecting. I just sometimes wonder if you guys have any guilt about your game-used hobby? Do you ever feel as if your time, efforts, and money could be better spent elsewhere?

Just curious. Thanks in advance for your honesty.

-Frik
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408
  • ndevlin
    • Mar 2008

Re: Anybody Have Guilts About Game-Used Collecting

What else would you buy if you werent buying Bagwell items?

Comment

• frikativ54
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by ndevlin
      What else would you buy if you werent buying Bagwell items?
      I would buy some new equipment for my camera.
      Chip in a little of my own money to fund some political speakers.
      Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• ndevlin
        • Mar 2008

I see. Well why is that you decide to spend the money on Bagwell items instead of the items you listed?

Comment

• jetersbatboy
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by frikativ54
          I often have guilts about collecting game-used, even though I love to get Bagwell items. I think that the money could be used for more fruitful endeavors, and that all I have to show for it is having a large collection of some guy who could hit a ball far's clothing.

Honestly, do any of you guys feel the same way? Is it just me? It's not like I am going to stop collecting. I just sometimes wonder if you guys have any guilt about your game-used hobby? Do you ever feel as if your time, efforts, and money could be better spent elsewhere?

Just curious. Thanks in advance for your honesty.

-Frik
          Sometime I fell the same way. But as long as my Kids are VERY VERY VERY well taken care of, bill are paid and my wife is OK with what I do, then I am able to keep enjoying the hobby.

Comment

• zookerman182
            • Jul 2007

i think about it sometimes but its just fun to me so im going to keep doing it. Of course i could be saving for this or upgrading other things around the house but its not like im spending every dime i have on this stuff. I think everyone should have hobbys like this. It helps take your mind off of stressful stuff and other problems that people face every day. Even if it costs a little more than other hobbys, the thrill of the hunt for items is matched by nothing else for me.
            Collecting current Brewers players and Prospects

brewergamer28@yahoo.com

sigpic

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
              • Dec 2008

Guilt? I feel emotionally ruined. I wake up in cold sweats nightly, screaming from the stress of dreaming about yet another of my "favorite" athletes trying to find a spot on his body for "today's injection" that isn't already sore from previous injections.

I think I should start selling my collection immediately.

It would pay for my meds, and possibly some better therapy from a PPO.

Comment

• frikativ54
                • Dec 2007

I see. Well why is that you decide to spend the money on Bagwell items instead of the items you listed?
                Part of me says that there are still Bagwell items I want. I want to have a whole locker full of his stuff, and I am working on that. Save a pair of pants and a helmet, I will have my project complete pretty soon I think.

And the camera lenses will break or become obsolete, when I'll always have the jerseys, cleats, etc. That's what goes through my mind. But when I actually get the Bagwell stuff, the excitement kind of wears away.

And the pictures I take seem to make me more happy, since I love nature and end up taking a lot of pictures of the animals around here (usually squirrels, some flowers for my Mom, and a lot of raccoons).

I also have a lot of bad memories associated with my childhood love of sports. Mostly the political stuff, because I kept getting cut off all-star teams because my parents weren't on the board of the particular organizations.

I'll never forget some of the apology calls my parents would get, like, I'm sorry, you were originally on the all-star team, but the coach wanted all her friends to be on the team. And my sports career was cut short by illness, unfortunately, so those things make me not enjoy some of the stuff I get.

And I have used my money partially on political speakers, and it comes in handy. Not that I'll always need it for that, because I've found ways to get that money from other organizations. I won't be needing that money any time soon, though, since I have all the speakers I need paid for for this semester.

Thanks for asking, and for taking my question seriously.
                Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• frikativ54
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by suicide_squeeze
                  Guilt? I feel emotionally ruined. I wake up in cold sweats nightly, screaming from the stress of dreaming about yet another of my "favorite" athletes trying to find a spot on his body for "today's injection" that isn't already sore from previous injections.

I think I should start selling my collection immediately.

It would pay for my meds, and possibly some better therapy from a PPO.
                  Responses like this don't benefit anyone. My medical and food expenses are paid for.
                  Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• ndevlin
                    • Mar 2008

Its in our blood. As long as I can afford it, I'll buy what interest me.

And depending on what you buy, it can be quite the investment. So its not like its a waste if you think of it that way, which I really dont anyways.

Thats just me though, everyone feels differently.

Comment

• frikativ54
                      • Dec 2007

Its in our blood. As long as I can afford it, I'll buy what interest me.

And depending on what you buy, it can be quite the investment. So its not like its a waste if you think of it that way, which I really dont anyways.

Thats just me though, everyone feels differently.
                      Maybe, it's because I collect Bagwell. I am sure he's going to sooner or later show up on one of the steroids lists, and that I'm going to lose my money. I look at pictures of him, and I would be deluding myself if I thought he wasn't on the juice. You can get big by lifting, which he did, but not that big.
                      Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• David
                        • Sep 2024

There's nothing wrong with having a hobby or pastime. In fact, they can be good for mental and physical health. Winston Churchill painted, Humphrey Bogart sailed, Sherlock Holmes played a violin. Of course anything can be taken to financial and other extremes, but there's nothing errant about collecting baseball bats or jerseys.

Comment

• ndevlin
                          • Mar 2008

Well it shouldnt be about how much your item is worth. As long as the item/s you want to buy/or own make you happy, then it shouldnt matter how much you could get for it when you decide to sell it.

We buy bats and jerseys because we love the game and enjoy collecting. But there are times, I also put into consideration, that if I ever had to sell the item, if I would get the same amount back that I put into it. That tends to help the cause.

Comment

• frikativ54
                            • Dec 2007

Well it shouldnt be about how much your item is worth. As long as the item/s you want to buy/or own make you happy, then it shouldnt matter how much you could get for it when you decide to sell it.

We buy bats and jerseys because we love the game and enjoy collecting. But there are times, I also put into consideration, that if I ever had to sell the item, if I would get the same amount back that I put into it. That tends to help the cause.
                            Thing is, I would think less of my item if Bagwell were proven to be a drug cheat. And that would kind of ruin the fun of collecting for me, though I would probably pursue some other items as well.

Maybe I'm focusing too much on one player. I really enjoyed getting a non-Bagwell item, my Rawlings Pro-Giant glove. It was a fun transaction, because it made a glove, which indexes childhood innocence (for me, at least), into something that was larger than life. Below is a pic from my Dad's camera phone, after he set it up for me:

Perhaps I just need to be focusing on other stuff within the baseball memorabilia universe. I love this glove, because it looks just like the one I had as a kid, that I used from like 2nd to 10th grade.
                            Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• zookerman182
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by frikativ54
                              Thing is, I would think less of my item if Bagwell were proven to be a drug cheat. And that would kind of ruin the fun of collecting for me, though I would probably pursue some other items as well.

Maybe I'm focusing too much on one player. I really enjoyed getting a non-Bagwell item, my Rawlings Pro-Giant glove. It was a fun transaction, because it made a glove, which indexes childhood innocence (for me, at least), into something that was larger than life. Below is a pic from my Dad's camera phone, after he set it up for me:

Perhaps I just need to be focusing on other stuff within the baseball memorabilia universe. I love this glove, because it looks just like the one I had as a kid, that I used from like 2nd to 10th grade.
                              too much of one player? If you like the guy then there isnt any problem. I have 5 game used bats and 2 game used jerseys of a 21 year old who has only played in 9 games and has 4 at bats. When things are said and done with me collecting this guy i dont want to know how much of his crap i will have. But as long as you like the one guy you collect then there shouldnt be a problem.

I have found its really hard to hang on to stuff of players you are only collecting to invest in. Its easy to keep a collection full of your favorite player.
                              Collecting current Brewers players and Prospects

brewergamer28@yahoo.com

sigpic

Comment

Working...