PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Gruber GU97 Jersey O's Mastro...Question

sgilooly
02-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Hello,

I'm a Kelly Gruber fan and would like to the expertise of the Board to better explain something to me.

In the new Mastro auction, lot #548 is a Game Used 1997 Orioles Kelly Gruber jersey.

http://www.mastroauctions.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=91412&LastLotListing=Lot%20Search%20List&CurrentRow=1

It is authenticated and graded by Mears and is a "5". Gruber did not play for the Orioles in 1997 (he didn't make the squad and was sent to the minors...Spring Training?). What does a "5" mean exactly and what is your thoughts about this jersey?

Also, anywhere I can get a photo match on this?

Thank you!

Stone

ironmanfan
02-23-2009, 01:24 PM
If you go to MEAR's web-site, you'll find the definition of each classification....This jersey was discussed in another recent thread as well (if you do a search, I'm sure you'll find it)..

You won't see a photo match as Gruber was never recalled from AAA that season.

jonincleve
02-23-2009, 04:06 PM
sgilooly, i have a kelly gruber cleveland indians spring training jersey from when he was rookie in the early 80's. i will post photos once i dig it out.

thought you would find it interesting

take care
john

gingi79
02-23-2009, 04:37 PM
I too am looking for Gruber game worn stuff and I am the current high bidder. Since he never played for the Orioles, it is at best a game issued jersey. Therefore, no photomatch will be available as he never wore it.

Hope this helps. Good luck if you want to outbid me as I will only pay for what it is, an authentic store bought jersey made by the O's.

jonincleve
02-23-2009, 05:52 PM
here are the photos of the indians jersey. i have the indians gift shop receipt floating around somewhere also.

take care
john

trsent
02-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Hello,

I'm a Kelly Gruber fan and would like to the expertise of the Board to better explain something to me.

In the new Mastro auction, lot #548 is a Game Used 1997 Orioles Kelly Gruber jersey.

http://www.mastroauctions.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=91412&LastLotListing=Lot%20Search%20List&CurrentRow=1

It is authenticated and graded by Mears and is a "5". Gruber did not play for the Orioles in 1997 (he didn't make the squad and was sent to the minors...Spring Training?). What does a "5" mean exactly and what is your thoughts about this jersey?

Also, anywhere I can get a photo match on this?

Thank you!

Stone

Stone, other than the quote "Final Grade with Respect to Characteristics and Game Use: A5" the MEARS letter never refers to this as a game used jersey. You can blow the letter up on the Mastro auction listing page to read it closely. The notes in the letter state that Kelly Gruber attempted a comeback in 1997 so maybe he was issued the jersey but it was never used or maybe it was worn somewhere, sometime, but I bet no one will ever know.

Even the Mastro description and title doesn't refer to this a game used jersey. Maybe they edited it since your post?

The A5 description from The MEARS website:

"A5 Manufactures characteristics of the jersey have been compared to known authentic examples and are consistent with respects to what would be expected to be seen in a game issued jersey. Each piece is also evaluated on the degree of evident use and wear, which must be consistent with that of the player, sport, position, field of play, and duration of use. The degree of wear will be measured from minimal to heavy and the jersey cannot exhibit negative, missing, or incorrect manufacturers traits or use characteristics. When team or player provenance is lacking, wear can be measured, but not attributed directly to examined player. Without reasonable and verifiable provenance for post-1987 Hall of Fame or period star player jersey's, the A5 designation may still be assigned if the jersey possesses qualities and physical characteristics of a Major League jersey that was manufactured for player use or as an extra for a team or player, or one that may have been made available for retail sale or promotion (while still containing the physical characteristics consistent with game issued jerseys). It should be noted that variances with respect to number/lettering placement, font, stitching, size, patch placement and other manufacturers characteristics may be present on MEARS A5 jerseys when compared to documented game used jerseys. A MEARS A5 jersey may still be assigned the grade without an accompanying photomatch or may exhibit variations when compared to an examined available image."

sgilooly
02-23-2009, 08:55 PM
This is all very interesting and thanks for all of your help. I have his last home jersey. I bought it directly from the Rochester Red Wings in 1997.

I won't be outbidding you on this. I was going to try and pick it up for the mb.

I do like the Indians jersey. Any photos out there of him in Indians garb?

Lastly, is MEARS a reputable company?

Thank you again

Stone

ironmanfan
02-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Lastly, is MEARS a reputable company?

Yes, very much so IMO

Bill
whhp72@yahoo.com

kingjammy24
03-10-2009, 11:51 PM
thought some of you might like to see these:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/93/sillyw.jpg

rudy.

ironmanfan
03-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Rudy:

Nice pickup....World Series no less!

kingjammy24
03-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Rudy:

Nice pickup....World Series no less!

unfortunately, they're not mine. only part of my photo library.

rudy.

Sincityson
03-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Back in 2005 or 2006, can't recall at the moment which one, someone put up the white Orioles Gruber on ebay, I think It went for something like $90. Might have been Ball Park Heroes.. It was listed as game-issued.

Sincityson
03-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Forgot to add in my previous post, has anyone ever seen any of his Angels jerseys?

JCC1968
03-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi

If anyone wants to contact Kelly about game used items or have them signed I have an address you can use. He currently lives in Sarasota,Fl and is a great guy.

Thanks
Jason

P.S. He is looking to buy back some of his stuff, have very little from his playing days. He signed a rookie year bat for me.

bluejay4eva34
05-13-2014, 10:34 PM
Hi

If anyone wants to contact Kelly about game used items or have them signed I have an address you can use. He currently lives in Sarasota,Fl and is a great guy.

Thanks
Jason

P.S. He is looking to buy back some of his stuff, have very little from his playing days. He signed a rookie year bat for me.
I have some photos I would like to get signed.