PDA

View Full Version : Game used bases

mr.miracle
04-19-2006, 12:01 PM
As a general rule, what kind of value do game used bases have? I am looking at a Cal Ripken autographed game used base from Yankee stadium Cal's final appearance there on 9/30/01. It comes with the ironclad hologram and is signed and dated by Cal 9/30/01. This is the limited edition base with the giant 8 on top and cals #8 on 2 sides and the mlb logo and yankee logo on the other two sides. The base shows lots of game use and comes in a framed case. Wondering if anyone has any opinions on what this item might normally cost ballpark range, no pun intended. Would this also be more valuable than a similar game used base from Oriole park from 9/1/01 signed by cal and inscribed with 3170 hits because he hit his 3170th hit in this game? Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks
Brett

stlbats
04-19-2006, 09:19 PM
hello. This base would command a premium over regular game used bases. I haven't done the research to determine a price but it would be high I would guess. I would guess someone like Ironclad would ask around $5000.

Just my 2 cents

Jason
ripken8@bellsouth.net

suave1477
04-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Just for the record stlbats you said someone like ironclad i dont know if you realize but thats Cal Ripkens company and Don Mattingly

mr.miracle
04-19-2006, 10:11 PM
The base does come with an Ironclad COA/LOA and also has the MLB hologram or registry with a certifiable number that can be cross checked at MLB. The base is not sold however through Ironclad. It is being advertised at an independant dealer in Maryland area. They also have one from Cal's game on 9/1/01 at Oriole Park but the Yankee game base from 9/30/01 is going for much more than the one from Oriole Park. Both show good game use at least according to the pictures and have good dirt and spike marks both are autographed with the one from 9.1.01 auto'd and signed 3170 hits which was the number Cal had at that point. The other one as previously mentioned is auto'ed and signed 9.30.01 Both ironically are labeled under the base and have the date of use and position on the field. Both come with pics of Ripken signing as well. They are pretty impressive pieces. Anybody know if anything like this exists from Cal's final game 10/6/01?

stlbats
04-19-2006, 10:35 PM
yes I did know this about Ironclad with Ripken.

Jason

Eric
04-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Steiner is auctioning a game model base which matches the retirement bases. It is signed and dated by Cal Jr.

http://auction.steinersports.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=67973158&prmenbr=55076099&aunbr=68319868

Cal Ripken, Jr. will always be remembered as one of the most consistent and skilled baseball players. The legendary third baseman retired after 21 seasons with the Baltimore Orioles where he broke Lou Gehrigs record of most consecutive games played, became a member of the 3,000-hit club and hit 431 home runs, all of which will earn him a future spot in the Hall of Fame. This is auction features an authentic game model base that honors his 21-season career. Cal Ripken, Jr. hand signed the base and inscribed the date of his last major league game, "Oct. 6, 2001". A Steiner Sports Certificate of Authenticity is included. Good luck!

mr.miracle
04-26-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks Eric, if anyone knows where to get the real deal game used let me know. Several of these were auctioned off by Leylands about two years ago and went for a couple of thousand for I believe three bases. I talked to a dealer in Baltimore and he said he sold one game used from Cal's final game unautographed for $10k. Now that might be a bit pricey but if anyone knows where these things can be had let me know.

Thanks
Brett