PDA

View Full Version : Ebay apparently cracking down on fraud

hrvatwill
02-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Found this article interesting. While I am glad to see it, unfortunately I have not experienced this myself. Also, I find the comment about "keeping fakes down to 1% of listings" very interesting. In my view, this certainly is not the case in the game used arena. Then again, I guess that a fake gamer technically is an authentic retail item in most cases, so it's all in how the numbers are tabulated.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aT7rzjfmzcks

bigtruck260
02-27-2009, 12:54 PM
I got a great deal on some Polo shirts a while back...

After washing them, I realized I'd been taken. It's really hard to have confidence in true brands these days on eBay.

GarkoCollector
02-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Was the Greg Marino ordeal ever taken to ebay or was that a card show/card shop type of thing?

cincy13
02-27-2009, 06:40 PM
I don't think Ebay gives a hoot myself. I sold a baseball on ebay and the buyer put it back on with a totally made up story about how the ball was used during a wee willie keeler game. Now, it's not that I don't think I could make a mistake and sell a ball I know nothing about. I knew the history of this baseball. I found out, other ebayers reported this guy. Ebay did nothing to this guy and the item sold. Luckily, it didn't foot too many people because the ball didn't sell for much, but Ebay did nothing to stop the sale.

otismalibu
02-27-2009, 06:48 PM
I can do a search on eBay for authentic Steelers jerseys. I'll usually get somewhere between 200 and 400 matches. On a good day there might be 10 legit Reebok authentic jerseys in the batch.

Hell, even the guys selling auto jerseys are using knockoff jerseys for the signing. You can see pics of the player signing a fake jersey.

NEFAN
03-02-2009, 08:08 AM
All eBay cares about is there bottom line. They occaisionally end an item when cornered in to it to make themselves look reputable.

JasonBanz
03-02-2009, 10:11 AM
It would be really hard to crack down on fakes. I have bought several authentic jerseys on ebay and know they are fakes. But they look good. I also know a website when you can get jerseys for $20 a piece, but you must buy 15. So for $300 and free shipping you get 15 jerseys. This goes for NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL jerseys. In my opinion, if it looks good who cares. They look better and are made better than the replicas. Now if there was a way to crack down on game fraud, I'd be happy. You seach for game used items on ebay and retail jerseys, jackets, and football cards come up. That is frustrating!

bigtime59
03-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I can attest that eBay will take down listings...when it's in their (financial) interest. I was selling a lens that was so minty fresh the only way you could tell it wasn't new was that I'm not a dealer. (I was selling it for a friend who treats his stuff like babies.) I was cruising along until either somebody reported the listing, or eBay found it...they weren't happy about the "like new" description, but they REALLY weren't happy that I still had old boilerplate in the listing indicating that I would take a money order as payment!

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

suicide_squeeze
03-02-2009, 11:10 AM
My personal opinion of "fleabay" is they have placed a bunch of "gen-Y" imbecils in charge of making policy which has turned the good company it once was into a headache to deal with now.

I mean.....what kind of a site takes away the sellers ability to leave NEGATIVE feedback for buyers? Buyers are now taking TOTAL advantage of this, and basically making their own policies as they go in regards to paying for items they've bid on and won.

Then, don't EVEN get me started about Paypal. What a loser outfit they have become. Instead of doing the "right" thing in a dispute, they simply ask (which is a nice way of saying "demand") the seller to refund money to ANY buyer who has a problem (dispute) with ANY transaction. That means....If you sell to some idiot who then comes down with buyer's remorse for ANY reason.......as the seller, you're going to get it back and there's nothing you can do about it, even if you clearly stated everything about the item, and also clearly stated "no returns".

"Fleabay" is a shell of what it once was.....even if they have cleared up the fraud a measurable amount. That's an issue that we address here, and it's always going to be a case of "buyer beware" as long as humans are involved.

JasonBanz
03-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Regardless of how much ebay has gone down the tubes I am still addicted to it. There are 2 sites I visit 10 times per day, ebay and GUU.

suicide_squeeze
03-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Regardless of how much ebay has gone down the tubes I am still addicted to it. There are 2 sites I visit 10 times per day, ebay and GUU.

Keep up the practice!

Sooner or later, the knowledge obtained form the one will start to overcome the ignorance displayed on the other.

Do I need to clarify which is which?:rolleyes:

richpick
03-06-2009, 01:03 AM
I realize that ebay makes a ton of money but it must be hard to spot and crack down on the fakes. For crying out loud we have disagreements on this forum on items. I think ebay tries to do their best and we do not know what they are doing behind the scenes. It is easy for a seller to be banned and then set up shop under another account. Listen the best defense is knowledge. Educate yourself and you stand a greater chance of not being ripped off.

Richpick

JasonBanz
03-06-2009, 01:41 AM
Keep up the practice!

Sooner or later, the knowledge obtained form the one will start to overcome the ignorance displayed on the other.

Do I need to clarify which is which?:rolleyes:

No need to clarify. I think I know which one you're talking about.