PDA

View Full Version : Game used Basbeall Photomatched???

suave1477
03-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Dear Members,

We sit here all the time typing away, posting pics, starting threads about photomatching Game Used Jerseys, bats, and other items and alot of us sit at our computers goinf through Getty,AP, uspresswire, flckr, thumbing through photos, baseball,football or whatever sport cards and other picture resources. Trying to put an actual link of our item to the game.

But has anyone ever actually photomatched a Game used ball (Baseball/Football etc..)?

Now as some may think this is probably the hardest thing to do or maybe impossible. I would think it is probably a little easier then we all think if we just tried a little hard.
Espcially for MLB Authenticated balls which pin points the game it came out of or an inscribed Home Run Ball or just a ball linking to something special - should be a bit easier then the avergae game used ball.

Now it may be hard to do since the ball itself gets very limited media (Pictures/video) but possibly maybe while a pitcher is holding the ball or catcer is holding the ball or a quaterback is holding the ball or when he flips it to the ref?

Or is it people just don't care and just go with whatever provevnance it comes with?

If someone has ever photmatched a ball, please post pics!!

joelsabi
03-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Dear Members,

We sit here all the time typing away, posting pics, starting threads about photomatching Game Used Jerseys, bats, and other items and alot of us sit at our computers goinf through Getty,AP, uspresswire, flckr, thumbing through photos, baseball,football or whatever sport cards and other picture resources. Trying to put an actual link of our item to the game.

But has anyone ever actually photomatched a Game used ball (Baseball/Football etc..)?

Now as some may think this is probably the hardest thing to do or maybe impossible. I would think it is probably a little easier then we all think if we just tried a little hard.
Espcially for MLB Authenticated balls which pin points the game it came out of or an inscribed Home Run Ball or just a ball linking to something special - should be a bit easier then the avergae game used ball.

Now it may be hard to do since the ball itself gets very limited media (Pictures/video) but possibly maybe while a pitcher is holding the ball or catcer is holding the ball or a quaterback is holding the ball or when he flips it to the ref?

Or is it people just don't care and just go with whatever provevnance it comes with?

If someone has ever photmatched a ball, please post pics!!

i think for the most part you have to go with the provenance it comes from.

baseball are just too small to photomatch. camera men dont zoom in enough to see the distinct ball markings. how many professional photographers are going to put a closeup on a ball. zooming on the baseball shows no perspective of the game situation or action. how many can tell exactly where the bat connected to baseball on a homerun? has anyone tried?

there are some balls that are assigned special numbers on the ball, ie. used when bonds at bats when he was approaching aaron's record. can a person make out these marking on a photo or video? has anyone tried?

at least with jerseys and bats you the size of the object is large enough to see distinct marking as kyle has shown over and over again.

i guess kyle can give us his opinion on the odds of photomatching a baseball.

oh. is it possible to video evidence without having photomatching? the foul ball that kyle caught comes to mind. i dont consider it a photomatch.

gnishiyama
03-01-2009, 09:09 PM
I have a photo-matched game used ball which is very unique. Back in beginning of the 2006 World Baseball Classic, Ichiro never the one to bite his tongue, proclaimed that he "wanted to beat Korea so badly that it wouldn't want to play Japan for another 30 years." For those who are aware, there has always been bad blood between Japan and Korea for generations although most of it softened in the past years. (I myself have tons of Korean friends and I think most of the hostility started wearing off in my parents generation) Anyway to make the story short, in the first game between Japan and S. Korea in the 2006 WBC following Ichiro's comment, there were 4 dead balls, one of which hit Ichiro. It was clearly seen as a retaliation for his earlier remarks.
I have the actual ball that hit Ichiro that is MLB Authenticated. After receiving the ball I got Ichiro to sign the ball which makes it even more unique. With this ball I have an 8x10 photo of this ball actually hitting Ichiro. The ball can clearly be seen in the photograph.
Its one of the most unique items in my inventory and very special since Japan ended up avenging the loss and winning the WBC.

joelsabi
03-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Goh,

nice baseball. that would be something special in a collection.

spartakid
03-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Goh- I've sent you an e-mail. thank you, Ricardo

gnishiyama
03-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks. Here is another cool ball for all those Derek Jeter fans including myself. Its not photomatched but I think its a good as one so I think it belongs in this thread.
I have a ball that Jeter hit for a double in the 2006 WBC vs Canada. What makes this ball cool is that Jeter hit it so hard that he left a clear impression of the [GENUINE] from his bat. (The Jeter bat is from the GUU Auction)
I'm looking to get it signed by Jeter but his prices are so expensive.
Goh Nishiyama

tigerdale
03-01-2009, 09:57 PM
THATS AWESOME!! usually see ball writings on bats, but bat writings on balls, now thats cool!! I have a world series ball from 2006 that todd jones hit preston wilson w/ in the ninth inning....
Hologram number BB300021 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under BALLS.
Session Product Description: GAME USED BASEBALL

Session Name: 2006 WORLD SERIES - GAME 2 - CARDINALS V. TIGERS
Session Date: October 22, 2006
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: JONES PITCH TO WILSON, 9TH INNING, HBP

kylehess10
03-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks. Here is another cool ball for all those Derek Jeter fans including myself. Its not photomatched but I think its a good as one so I think it belongs in this thread.
I have a ball that Jeter hit for a double in the 2006 WBC vs Canada. What makes this ball cool is that Jeter hit it so hard that he left a clear impression of the [GENUINE] from his bat. (The Jeter bat is from the GUU Auction)
I'm looking to get it signed by Jeter but his prices are so expensive.
Goh Nishiyama

Thank you for posting that!! I never realized that the letters can come onto the ball like that! I'm so excited now because now I know why there are backwards letters on a ball I got after the Braves home opener in 2008. Now I know that it has "TOM G" from Tom Gorzelanny's bat, along with "PITTS" from "PITTSBURGH PIRATES"