PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Items at Sports Shows

dcgreg25
03-02-2009, 08:04 PM
I have built much of my collection via the internet through dealers and auctions I know without attending many in-person events searching out game used items. Back before I started GU collecting I attended a few National Shows and there seemed to be quite a bit available. I am curious as to how valuable other board members feel conventions/sports shows are for building your collection. IAny reccomendations about the best ones (other than the National) that you should not miss?

I was thinking of attending the Collectors Showcase show in Virginia that is coming up in a few weeks and wanted to see if any of the members had been in the past and get their thoughts on the amount of GU items at the show. Thanks in advance for your input.

JasonBanz
03-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Do you know any names of the shows? I'd like to look up a few and maybe look at going to one.

suicide_squeeze
03-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Guys......

Going to ANY show is hit and miss.

Quite Frankly, most of the vendors that go to all of the major shows are the same. What you get is a smaller mix of local participants, but for the most part, the "big boys" that show up are usually the same old usual suspects.

You are better off doing your homework, learning as MUCH as you possibly can about game used items (this site is a great start.....Aeneas and kingjammy and kylehess provide some AMAZING insight, among others) and shopping in all of the major auctions, and (God, do I hate to say this.........) ebay too.

You can pick up a few good items now and then. But here is my only warning about going to these "shows" to pick up items you may find on the spot....

A) You are playing in the Lion's den. Unless you are a SUPER experienced game used proficianado (sp?), you are going to see something you REALLY like, and most likely get taken for fairly big bucks. These shows are a GREAT source for these guys to dump BAD items on unsuspecting fans who don't have the background to make an on-the-spot purchase decision.

B) What do you do if you travel a great distance, buy something you saw and fell in love with only to find out once you get home and do a bit of homework that......you bought a bad item? It's NOT so easy to get the item returned and a refund. In fact, it can be impossible in some cases, especially if you bought the bad item from a "one-and-done" show space leaser who offed what he wanted and won't be back.

C) You may end up buying something that, upon original inspection, looked so cool, you just couldn't live without it. Then, after a short bit of time (and research) you realize that it isn't (or worse yet, COULD'T be) what it was represented to you as being. Then, upon contacting the people you bought it from, you find yourself in a battle of "That's not what I said it was, and we don't accept returns for buyer's remorse" nonsense.

I say as you are just starting out, it's O.K. to visit a show or two, but be careful and extremely prudent in what you are buying. TAKE A PICTURE of 5 of the item, get their phone numbers, and go HOME and do your homework. It'll be there for a later purchase......trust me on that!

suicide_squeeze
03-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Man, I get so nervous that I'm going to run out of time while typing these longer posts, that I make numerous typos, and leave out (sometimes) the most important part of what I meant to say.

In addition to my prior post, I would say it's a good.....no, GREAT idea to follow the Major auction houses to look and learn about game used items. And one last bit of advice I can tell you about those major auction houses (Mastro, Lelands, Hunt, Gray Flannel, Heritage.........and, OK.....American Memorabilia:o) is this:

No matter what authenticator or letter of provenance comes with them, if you plan on bidding.....DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

Bring it up on the auction board here.....post a picture, ask questions. There are a lot of wonderfully nice and knowledgable members here who will give it to you straight.

It's a fun hobby, but it's a "buyer-beware" bonanza out there. You've been warned!;)

JasonBanz
03-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Great insight! Never thought about some of the things you have said. I normally just trust the authenticators.

skyking26
03-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Great insight! Never thought about some of the things you have said. I normally just trust the authenticators.
Speaking of Nationals - this is way early, but the show is in Cleveland this year. I will be attending. Anybody else plan on going??

RK

dcgreg25
03-03-2009, 10:19 AM
suicide_squeeze thanks for your insight. I have been collecting for about six years or so mostly over the internet and through dealers but had just not explored shows as an alternative for acquiring items for that primary reason you mentioned...the ability to research items.

It is so important to be able to understand what you are buying that buying items on the spot is extremely suspect unless you know and trust the people you are dealing with. I agree that this board is an exceptional resource and have learned a ton in the year or so I have been on.

As far as the upcoming National in Cleveland I will definitely be attending as I am from the area originally and still have family up that way.

cincy13
03-03-2009, 10:47 AM
The Philadelphia show is next week. Hunt's auctions took it over. It's at the Valley Forge Convention center. There will be some game used stuff there.

joelsabi
03-03-2009, 10:52 AM
with the advent of the internet, the need to make a large purchase at shows seems unnecessary. you can always email them later. dealers are more likely to have items from their entire inventory than just showcasing items that are on their website. thats a positive. those items are also low demand items also.

if you find something you like and doesn't seem to be an in demand item, wait until the last day of the show or end of the day (if you go for one day)when the dealers are willing to lower their price.

shows are also good for getting contacts for future purchases.

shows are best for picking up baseball cards that you would rather inspect for condition firsthand before purchasing.