PDA

View Full Version : Cecil Fielder 1991 Detroit Tigers Game-Worn Jersey Question

Frink
03-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Folks,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270351136583

This is a current auction. It's certified by Grey Flannel, so it seems like it must be fine, but the tagging just doesn't make sense to me. I tried contacting the seller, and waited for a response for the last two days, but have heard nothing. You'd think you'd get a response for a piece that could potentially bring in as much as this one could.

Anyway, my question is, the front tag on the jersey has the numbers '91 2 83'. 91 and 2 make sense, obviously, as it's a 1991 Set 2. But 83? I'm confused as heck. I was always under the impression this number should be the jersey number, which is 45. Where would 83 come from? Could this possibly be legitimate?

The certificate of authenticity from Grey Flannel even mentions that the tag has those exact numbers on it, but declines to explain why. I tried calling Grey Flannel to see if they could offer me any help, but the fellow I spoke with (T.J. F.) was unwilling to discuss it without having the jersey in-hand.

Any help that anyway could lend to me for this would be tremendously-appreciated. This thing is about as good as it gets, to me.

Thanks,

Larry L.

kingjammy24
03-03-2009, 01:00 PM
larry l.,

the tagging is correct. the "83" refers to an internal tigers inventory number/system. for many years, the tigers were one of the very few teams to tag their jerseys with a unique, internal inventory number. you'll see it on all legit tigers rawlings and russell shirts from that era; a seemingly out-of-place number that doesn't represent the year or set or uniform number. this shouldn't be confused with the 3-digit numbers written in marker on many of those same tigers shirts which were minor league inventory numbers written on the jerseys after they'd been retired from major league use and gone on to be recycled in the minors.

"It's certified by Grey Flannel, so it seems like it must be fine"

i don't understand what about grey flannel certifying an item would mean that the item is good. the two, in my mind, have nothing to do with each other.

"..the fellow I spoke with (T.J. F.) was unwilling to discuss it without having the jersey in-hand."

so TJ couldn't even tell you that, in general, the tigers used a unique, in-house inventory system and that the "83" seen on the tag and described in their cert likely represents the inventory number without having it in-hand right? he couldn't look at the ebay pics and deduce that basic information from the pics? nonsense. it's like saying "i have this jersey with a big, MLB logo patch on the sleeve and it says "125th anniversary". can you tell me what that is?" and some idiot says "only if i have the jersey in hand can i tell you about the MLB 125 patch". would the "83" look different in-person than it does in pics? you weren't asking him if the jersey was good or bad, but simply what the "83" referred to on a jersey that they previously authenticated. it was a cop-out response, from a guy who has no clue about early 90s tigers shirts, meant to make you go away.

anyway larry, i remember this shirt very well when it was originally auctioned off by GFC. like you, i was also very interested in it. a 1991 fielder road jersey..and pants! wow wee! you hardly ever see a early 90s fielder shirt. it was very exciting. i then found out some additional information that kept me from bidding on it. if you want, you can email me at petrucious2000@yahoo.com and i'll share that information with you.

rudy.

Frink
03-03-2009, 01:10 PM
the tagging is correct. the "83" refers to an internal tigers inventory number/system. for many years, the tigers were one of the very few teams to tag their jerseys with a unique, internal inventory number. you'll see it on all legit tigers rawlings and russell shirts from that era; a seemingly out-of-place number that doesn't represent the year or set or uniform number. this shouldn't be confused with the 3-digit numbers written in marker on many of those same tigers shirts which were minor league inventory numbers written on the jerseys after they'd been retired from major league use and gone on to be recycled in the minors.

Awesome. Thank you very much for this response. I had no idea about this (I'd consider myself pretty green on game-used specifics). It's exactly what I was looking for.

i don't understand what about grey flannel certifying an item would mean that the item is good. the two, in my mind, have nothing to do with each other.

Again, green. There are certain COAs that I just assume are extremely reputable, and are pretty much a lock to be correct. I am clearly mistaken.

so TJ couldn't even tell you that, in general, the tigers used a unique, in-house inventory system and that the "83" seen on the tag and described in their cert likely represents the inventory number without having it in-hand right? he couldn't look at the ebay pics and deduce that basic information from the pics? nonsense. it's like saying "i have this jersey with a big, MLB logo patch on the sleeve and it says "125th anniversary". can you tell me what that is?" and some idiot says "only if i have the jersey in hand can i tell you about the MLB 125 patch". would the "83" look different in-person than it does in pics? you weren't asking him if the jersey was good or bad, but simply what the "83" referred to on a jersey that they previously authenticated. it was a cop-out response, from a guy who has no clue about early 90s tigers shirts, meant to make you go away.

You know, I didn't want to come across as sounding bitter in the original post, but I was definitely dismayed by my brief interaction with him. I got the impression that he didn't want to give me the time of day if it didn't put money in his pocket, even if it would've only taken a minute of his time. I was definitely put off.

anyway larry, i remember this shirt very well when it was originally auctioned off by GFC. like you, i was also very interested in it. a 1991 fielder road jersey..and pants! wow wee! you hardly ever see a early 90s fielder shirt. it was very exciting. i then found out some additional information that kept me from bidding on it. if you want, you can email me at petrucious2000@yahoo.com and i'll share that information with you.

Rudy, you can consider yourself e-mailed! My e-mail address is lwlahaie[at]gmail[dot]com, and it has probably already found its way to your inbox. Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out!

skyking26
03-03-2009, 02:04 PM
So, you going to bid? B-E have been known as good sellers thru the years. I have limited purchases from them though...

Frink
03-03-2009, 02:12 PM
So, you going to bid? B-E have been known as good sellers thru the years. I have limited purchases from them though...

Skyking, I'm going to say yes. But I am waiting to hear back from Rudy on a few more things. I'll keep you posted. :)