PDA

View Full Version : GU Pants Team Repairs?

matt
03-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Anyone ever buy GU pants that have team repairs on them?

I am a bit mystified, as I bought these Youk pants with massive team repairs. They have MLB holo, good tagging with nice chain stitching, but there are huge repairs on the knee, ankle and seat. As far as I can tell, the players never play with repaired pants. I guess Youk trashed these and then they washed them and repaired them as you can see. Then they sold them to Steiner. Why did they repair them???

I am considering trying a photomatch on what game he trashed the pants (7/4/2008 is a candidate) by looking at big stains and rips. Am I wasting my time. Anyone here a pants expert?? Any idea what the "OB" means on the stitching?

Thanks,
Matt

markize
03-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Im not 100%, but i know teams sometimes filter the pants that have been repaired down to the minors. is anything handwritten in the waistband? initials, jersey number?

mark

matt
03-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Nothing handwritten. These never made it to the minors as they were MLB Holo'ed in the locker room and sold thru Steiner.

Anyone else notice a huge glut of Steiner GU items with LH holos are NOT in the MLB database? I have had many items fail to appear in the past, the the 2008 LH stuff seems very poorly entered.

Matt

jppopma
03-03-2009, 07:11 PM
I have a couple pair of repaired pants, but they are not from within the last 5 years. One would think that they would just issue a new pair considering how many jerseys they go through. Maybe it goes to show that the teams pumping to many jerseys onto the market is all about the extra money from them. Pants are not as popular, so why replace them?

It may just be up to the player and if they want a new pair or to have it repaired. Not like it takes any effort to break them in like a pair of jeans, but players have their superstitions.

Either way, nice pants and should be an easy, and pretty awesome, photomatch. Let us know if you find anything.

thomecollector
03-03-2009, 07:56 PM
I have a pair of Thome game used pants from 2006. I have photomatched them to a pic from getty. Just can't size my pics . :confused:
Here's the getty pic.

thomecollector
03-03-2009, 07:58 PM
I have a pair of Thome game used pants from 2006. I have photomatched them to a pic from getty. Just can't size my pics . :confused:
Here's the getty pic.
OOPS! Here is the pic.

skyking26
03-03-2009, 08:40 PM
OOPS! Here is the pic.
If you are ever in need of $$, I'd have interest in 2006 pants to match my top, and cleats.

thomecollector
03-03-2009, 09:20 PM
If you are ever in need of $$, I'd have interest in 2006 pants to match my top, and cleats.
Sorry, pants will be here for awhile. You have cleats ?

skyking26
03-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Sorry, pants will be here for awhile. You have cleats ?
No. My home jersey is an 06 pinstripe. I am aware you move product frequently. If you get in a pinch your 06 pants would provide me a full uniform. Although I'm not always a cleat guy; that said if I had the pants to boot I'd look at a pair of Sox cleats too.

Do I expect a deal to materialize? No, of course not. Just making you aware I'd be open to it. I don't expect to hear from you however.

thomecollector
03-04-2009, 05:21 AM
No. My home jersey is an 06 pinstripe. I am aware you move product frequently. If you get in a pinch your 06 pants would provide me a full uniform. Although I'm not always a cleat guy; that said if I had the pants to boot I'd look at a pair of Sox cleats too.

Do I expect a deal to materialize? No, of course not. Just making you aware I'd be open to it. I don't expect to hear from you however.
Not sure what you mean by I move product frequently. But, yes I do from time to time move somethings to get what I am looking for. Sometimes you can't sit on your hands when the right thing comes
along. I have to do what I can when funds are limited.
Do I regret it sometimes ? Yes ! But, look at the big picture. Rather than sitting around with regret later. That being said, you will be the first to know if I choose to move the pants. But, with Jim's days in Chicago getting shorter. I may not have another opportunity to get another pair.:eek:

skyking26
03-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Offer is there if the opportunity should arise.

BULBUS
03-04-2009, 09:27 AM
I have a pair of Paul O'Neill pants with massive repairs. Paul must have worn them the entire season. I photomatched them to a poster.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=12459&highlight=paul+o%27neill+pants

That was 1993 though. I know things are different now, but there are some very superstitious guys out there and they may not want to give up their "lucky pants".

camarokids
03-04-2009, 09:52 AM
For some reason, I feel I have seen your Youkilas pants before on tv.....

matt
03-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I have not yet found a photo of any player using repaired pants in a game. Seems like we would notice it on tv, no??

Matt