Per ESPN

Link when I get one

chakes89
03-03-2009, 09:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3949705

suicide_squeeze
03-03-2009, 11:16 PM
:D Let the SEASON begin!!!!

It's going to be a fun one here in DODGERTOWN!!!!!!!!!!

allstarsplus
03-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Congrats to you guys. Looking forward to the Dodgers visiting Washington at the end of September!!!!

xpress34
03-03-2009, 11:26 PM
:confused: Manny SIGNS???

Per the article:

"Agent Scott Boras told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that while he has been in daily contact with Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti, no agreement has been reached.

"We are in discussions and we have no deal in place,'' Boras said.

Boras would not elaborate further on the status of the talks."

With the way everything has gone with Bore @$$ and ManRam this off season, I wouldn't read too much into this yet...

They still have plenty of time to ask for some other stupid over the top request to kill negotiations yet again...

And from what Boras said, I wouldn't expect this deal to just fall into place.

Just my .02

skyking26
03-04-2009, 03:26 AM
and a collective "who cares..."

Fans , etc. were forced to witness the carnival ride of ridiculous negotiations for this over-priced, egotistical a*s. Guys like this you can't help but cheer against. While I have absolutely nothing against a legendary club like LA; their landing a free agent jerk like him leaves me with the desire to hope they do not even make the playoffs this year! His attitude just makes me ill.

Sorry Dodgerfans. You can have him. The rest of MLB will be fine without him.:D

eisenreich8
03-04-2009, 11:12 AM

Fans , etc. were forced to witness the carnival ride of ridiculous negotiations for this over-priced, egotistical a*s. Guys like this you can't help but cheer against. While I have absolutely nothing against a legendary club like LA; their landing a free agent jerk like him leaves me with the desire to hope they do not even make the playoffs this year! His attitude just makes me ill.

Sorry Dodgerfans. You can have him. The rest of MLB will be fine without him.:D

A-Men

skyking26
03-04-2009, 11:46 AM
A-Men
Thanks. I'm sure to get some opposing opinions...

BTW, what a class act your guy, Eisenreich is. I've read so many stories about him. Talk about polar opposites Eisenrich/Manny...

RK

nationals2k9
03-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Jim's 477 career RBI in 15 seasons look nice next to Manny's 1725 in 16 seasons.

nationals2k9
03-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Jim's 477 career RBI in 15 seasons look nice next to Manny's 1725 in 16 seasons.

Point being three years from now the only three guys in MLB history with 2000+ RBI may very well be Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Manny Ramirez. The dude hit .396 with 53 RBI in 53 games last year with L.A.

Can we at least agree to appreciate the spectacle of watching the guy hit a baseball?

I'm by no means bashing an apparant stand-up guy like Jim E but there's no right to even begin to compare!

shoremen44
03-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Point being three years from now the only three guys in MLB history with 2000+ RBI may very well be Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Manny Ramirez. The dude hit .396 with 53 RBI in 53 games last year with L.A.

Can we at least agree to appreciate the spectacle of watching the guy hit a baseball?

I'm by no means bashing an apparant stand-up guy like Jim E but there's no right to even begin to compare!

I would have to agree... I persnally can't stand Manny, but during the playoffs last year, I was glued to the TV everytime he was at bat

eisenreich8
03-04-2009, 12:53 PM
If Eisenreich only played in the majors for half of one season I would still have the same appreciation of him as a human being. Manny could crank out 900 homers and 4000 RBI and I still would leave the room during his at-bats. There is no comparison in stats, but a universe of difference in the things that truly count.

BTW, Eisenreich earned $10 million over his entire 15 year career. He now devotes his time running a foundation for kids with Tourette's, so let's compare what Manny will be doing 10 years after his retirement; that is, something that benefits a cause other than himself.

Manny can't play 9 positions at once, so we'll see what a great boost he will be to LA this season, till the drama starts up again, and it will......

Citizen of Red Sox Nation

nationals2k9
03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
If Eisenreich only played in the majors for half of one season I would still have the same appreciation of him as a human being. Manny could crank out 900 homers and 4000 RBI and I still would leave the room during his at-bats. There is no comparison in stats, but a universe of difference in the things that truly count.

BTW, Eisenreich earned $10 million over his entire 15 year career. He now devotes his time running a foundation for kids with Tourette's, so let's compare what Manny will be doing 10 years after his retirement; that is, something that benefits a cause other than himself.

Manny can't play 9 positions at once, so we'll see what a great boost he will be to LA this season, till the drama starts up again, and it will......

Citizen of Red Sox Nation

Totally understood re your guy Jim and certainly used to the Manny hate, esp recently. I just hope that as many fans as possible can at least enjoy the way he can hit a baseball.

FastLane80
03-04-2009, 01:48 PM

Sorry Dodgerfans. You can have him. The rest of MLB will be fine without him.:D I don't care what the guy does off the field as long as he can help put a 'W' on the board. The Dodger players seem to like him and welcome him back and they actually know him so for most of us to comment on his personality is a little presumptuous.

Boston fans please stop whining. You sound like a jealous ex-girlfriend following a bad break up.

skyking26
03-04-2009, 02:12 PM
I don't care what the guy does off the field as long as he can help put a 'W' on the board. The Dodger players seem to like him and welcome him back and they actually know him so for most of us to comment on his personality is a little presumptuous.

Boston fans please stop whining. You sound like a jealous ex-girlfriend following a bad break up.
We'll see if you feel the same when they don't make the playoffs in Oct. I hope they don't, just to prove it's not about one guy... It's a team sport. Manny isn't God.

chakes89
03-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Why don't some of you guys like Manny?

What did he ever do to you?

FastLane80
03-04-2009, 02:44 PM
We'll see if you feel the same when they don't make the playoffs in Oct. I hope they don't, just to prove it's not about one guy... It's a team sport. Manny isn't God.LOL who's going to beat them? The D'Backs? The Giants? The Padres? They have a good team without Manny in a very weak division. With him, they are just that much stronger. He's not god and I don't believe anyone here thinks he is but he's a hell of a bat.

nationals2k9
03-04-2009, 02:52 PM
LOL who's going to beat them? The D'Backs? The Giants? The Padres? They have a good team without Manny in a very weak division. With him, they are just that much stronger. He's not god and I don't believe anyone here thinks he is but he's a hell of a bat.

He is the obvious choice for god of putting fans in the stands and driving overall team revenue.

eisenreich8
03-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Many of us, me included, have bashed Manny mercilessly in recent threads. I just can't adapt to the thinking that his Dodgers teammates know him, in only a few months' time, he put on a one-man (make that 2, if you include Bora$$) show to drive up his contract. As states with accuracy in numerous other recent threads, his Boston teammates, fans, front office and media despised the man.

I, as a Boston fan, do not ever subscribe to whining, as the team did as well or better in his absence. The cancer was excised from the clubhouse. Jason Bay was a terrific replacement for him. Nor did many whine when Pedro, Clemens, Damon, or Nomar left. They were all superstars at one point in their careers, then, the lust for power, fame and fortune set in and destroyed them all. All you need on Boston's team is a Pedroia, a Youk, a Bay, (in the past a Millar, or a Cabrera) to make the climate perfect. I don't begrudge anyone their right and privilege to fawn over Manny's batting ability, and one would be duly gleeful to see his production come along in their lineup, but I will predict with all my being that Manny will loom darkly over the Dodgers community one day soon. And we can all write about it right here on this board. I personally do not wish for the failure of the Dodgers. But I feel strongly that LA will rue the day they blew 45 mill on a one-dimensional, prima-donna supremo, man-child like Ramirez.

gamer35
03-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Many of us, me included, have bashed Manny mercilessly in recent threads. I just can't adapt to the thinking that his Dodgers teammates know him, in only a few months' time, he put on a one-man (make that 2, if you include Bora$$) show to drive up his contract. As states with accuracy in numerous other recent threads, his Boston teammates, fans, front office and media despised the man.

I, as a Boston fan, do not ever subscribe to whining, as the team did as well or better in his absence. The cancer was excised from the clubhouse. Jason Bay was a terrific replacement for him. Nor did many whine when Pedro, Clemens, Damon, or Nomar left. They were all superstars at one point in their careers, then, the lust for power, fame and fortune set in and destroyed them all. All you need on Boston's team is a Pedroia, a Youk, a Bay, (in the past a Millar, or a Cabrera) to make the climate perfect. I don't begrudge anyone their right and privilege to fawn over Manny's batting ability, and one would be duly gleeful to see his production come along in their lineup, but I will predict with all my being that Manny will loom darkly over the Dodgers community one day soon. And we can all write about it right here on this board. I personally do not wish for the failure of the Dodgers. But I feel strongly that LA will rue the day they blew 45 mill on a one-dimensional, prima-donna supremo, man-child like Ramirez.

Orlando Cabrera? The same man the Sox DID NOT sign because he hit on players wifes and had a knack to go after "young girls?" Once you cited Millar as an impact player, I just stopped reading from there. You are getting your wish for a bunch of dirt dog grinders, while the Sox FO runs players out of town. Just wait, the same will happen with Ortiz in two years. Manny Ramirez changed the face of this franchise in 2001 and led them to one to greatest runs in Red Sox history from 2003-2007. You can have Jason Bay. I'll take Manny Ramirez.

eisenreich8
03-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Orlando Cabrera? The same man the Sox DID NOT sign because he hit on players wifes and had a knack to go after "young girls?" Once you cited Millar as an impact player, I just stopped reading from there. You are getting your wish for a bunch of dirt dog grinders, while the Sox FO runs players out of town. Just wait, the same will happen with Ortiz in two years. Manny Ramirez changed the face of this franchise in 2001 and led them to one to greatest runs in Red Sox history from 2003-2007. You can have Jason Bay. I'll take Manny Ramirez.

Read my post, bro. Not your version of it. Millar was the Cowboy Up personality that helped the '04 team take it all. Fan favorite and good clubhouse fit. Didn't make waves. Did I SAY 'impact player"?? Where do you get your facts on Cabrera's pranks? Please share. You seem to know zippo about the Red Sox in general, hate them, or both. But don't put words in my mouth. You have your Manny, I have mine.

skyking26
03-05-2009, 03:14 AM
I'm in agreement that Manny is most likely one of the best right-handed hitters of our generation. If he kept his mouth shut and just played the game he'd be a complete package. However, he does not. He's a cancer in the clubhouse once he's not happy (see Boston). While some might say that you gotta put up with the bad Manny to get the good Manny, I know I was sickened when he threw down the old man who handles Boston's tickets for player's family members, etc. or the countless times he walked by those cancer patients instead of taking 2 seconds of his precious time.

Some might call me a Manny-hater. Yes, I don't leave when he comes up to the plate, but there isn't much about the guy I can stomach. As I mentioned in a previous post, a team is not made up of one. The amount of $$ spent on this guy was nuts. Good luck with all that.

eisenreich8
03-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Skyking26:

"While some might say that you gotta put up with the bad Manny to get the good Manny, I know I was sickened when he threw down the old man who handles Boston's tickets for player's family members, etc. or the countless times he walked by those cancer patients instead of taking 2 seconds of his precious time".

Skyking, We could be accused of never being seen in the same room together, but this is indeed at the core of the debate. I couldn't have said it better myself.

nationals2k9
03-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Dodgers Sign Manny Ramirez (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/03/manny-dodgers-r.html)

By Tim Dierkes [March 4 at 7:43pm CST]

7:43pm: It's official, according to this press release from Tony Jackson of the LA Daily News (http://www.insidesocal.com/dodgers/2009/03/ramirez-passes.html). Manny will donate $1MM to the Dodgers Dream Foundation. The AP (via Yahoo) reports (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-dodgers-ramirez&prov=ap&type=lgns) that Manny passed his physical.