X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beantown
    • Nov 2005

Fred Lynn Red Sox Jersey - Thoughts?

Interested in fellow forum members thoughts on this 1977 Fred Lynn Game Used Red Sox Jersey....please let me know...thanks...
    Attached Files
  • beantown
    • Nov 2005

Re: Fred Lynn Red Sox Jersey - Thoughts?

Can anyone offer any insight on this '76 Jersey having a "blue border" on the year and manufacturer tag vs. '77 that does not?

The Hobby's premier auction site for game-worn jerseys, graded cards, championship rings, and Hall of Fame autographs.

Comment

• lon lewis
      • Sep 2006

Beantown, The blue border tags actually made their first appearance in 1974, and were in full production in 1975. Without getting into the legitimacy of the jersey shown, it should be noted that during the '70's and 80's anyone could obtain from McAuliffe/Stahl and Dean completely tagged jerseys of any of the teams that were produced by that company and after the '70's, those jerseys would as a general rule contain the borderless mfr tag.

Comment

• 1986&2004Bosox
        • Aug 2007

lon so are you saying that the 77 yaz in lelands that sold was not correct? can anyone else confirm what lon is saying? I have not heard that but lon I would love to hear your thoughts on the yaz shirt in particular. Also I have seen a 74 yaz road with no blue in the neck are you saying that jersey is questionable as well?

Comment

• 1986&2004Bosox
          • Aug 2007

May 2008 Catalog Sports Baseball Equipment Lot 195. 1977 Carl Yastrzemski Autographed Game Worn Home Jersey. Lon take a look and let me know. Are you saying that this is common knoweldge or is this your opinion about the border? Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

• 1986&2004Bosox
            • Aug 2007

Lon what about 1980 Tony Armas, 1977 Ted Williams, also Lelands past auction? Lon if this is in fact a fact and not your opinion can you provide information such as order forms a book that shows you could order them something more than a statement that would backup your position? Otherwise the statement is harmful toward pieces. If it is indeed true then wouldn't major auction houses know this and not make the same mistake for years?

Comment

• 1986&2004Bosox
              • Aug 2007

lon one final point you say after the "70ties" the jerseys did not contain the blue so that would mean 1980 on? So are you saying that McAulliffe went back and issued a 1977 jersey in 1980 without the blue can you please clarify as I am sure there are many collectors who would like to know.

Comment

• lon lewis
                • Sep 2006

Bosox, I believe I covered/ re-covered everything you requested in my response to your email.

Comment

• 1986&2004Bosox
                  • Aug 2007

Yes Mr. Lewis thanks. I tend to disagree with your position regarding the lack of blue in the neck tagging from 75-78 for Red Sox Jerseys being a tell tale sign of it being a retail but I do appreciate your info.

The fact that there are no order forms, no evidence of McAuliffe selling directly to the public other than "word of mouth" and no McAuliffe hoard of borderless McAuliffe jerseys flooding the marletplace I tend to think that it is a simple label varation.

This reminds me of the "strip tagged" argument on majestic jerseys in 2005 and we have seen traded players, late season call ups, players who swaped numbers where there is no strip tag but the correct wash tag and the shirt came directly from the player, team or steiner. I

Comment

• flaco1801
                    • Nov 2005

i believe lon when he says that..........if you look at the yaz jersey it looks brand new.. back then they got 4 roads and 4 homes for the whole year...i checked my 75 rick miller, it has the blue border and it has some great use.... learn from the ones that wanna share knowledge....

Comment

• 1986&2004Bosox
                      • Aug 2007

flaco if they got 8 shirts per year the 1970 why would any show great wear? That means they got a new shirt every 20 home & road games? The Sox back then you were luck to get 2 homes and 2 roads for the season. Maybe a Yaz or Fisk got more but not many other players.

To me it is just very hard to make a statement when you have no facts to back the statement up. Word of mouth is no better than an urban legend. Until someone has proof of what Mr. Lewis states I can not take it as a fact.

It is just funny to me that every auction house & major dealer has not made the differential between blue neck trim and non blue neck trim but Mr.Lewis says that it is a common fact amongst advanced collectors, so I guess numerous advanced collectors threw away thousands on the yaz, and williams in lelands and that lelands knowingly sold bad items?

I hope a major dealer or a collector more advanced than me and my 20 plus years of collecting chimes in.

Comment

• ironmanfan
                        • Sep 2005

I've been in the hobby for close to 30 years and I can confirm Lon's comments that anyone could order jersey's directly from McAuliffe back in the 1970's which would explain why you see a relatively high amount of Hank Aaron Brewers tops as well as BoSox & A's star players from that time period.....I learned this from a popular newsletter entitled "Diamond Duds" which was a very informative monthly publication in the mid 1990's

Comment

• beantown
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ironmanfan
                          I've been in the hobby for close to 30 years and I can confirm Lon's comments that anyone could order jersey's directly from McAuliffe back in the 1970's which would explain why you see a relatively high amount of Hank Aaron Brewers tops as well as BoSox & A's star players from that time period.....I learned this from a popular newsletter entitled "Diamond Duds" which was a very informative monthly publication in the mid 1990's
                          Interesting...do you know if there was a difference in tagging with retail jerseys vs. game used jerseys?

Comment

• 1986&2004Bosox
                            • Aug 2007

So now we are using a new letter from the 1990ties as evidence that shirts could be bought in the 1970ties. Do you have a copy of this? What evidence did they provide that this was the case? Just because a news letter states something are we just going to believe it? If their is an interview with an worker from the company or records or 100% examples of this then tremendous but if we are to believe that the only difference is the lack of blue trim in the neck tag would a company actually do that 35 plus years ago when there was no collector interest and if they did it to the neck why not do it to the year tag as well?

Comment

• kingjammy24
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by 1986&2004Bosox
                              It is just funny to me that every auction house & major dealer has not made the differential between blue neck trim and non blue neck trim
                              is it really surprising that professional sellers have not made a distinction that would reduce their profits?

hey lookie here, lelands didn't make the distinction between a canseco gamer and a scoreboard canseco and sold the latter for over $1200. http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=205&lot=1979

4 yrs later, they do it yet again!: http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=611&lot=672

cha-ching! yet it is common knowledge amongst collectors that home jerseys with "2 90" labels were Scoreboard shirts.

i don't know what the story is on these shirts but i do know i can't remember the last time an auction house or major dealer added to the collective knowledge of the hobby. those guys tend to keep very quiet for a reason. yaz shirts are profitable..no need to stop the gravy train.

as for a company differentiating between retail and pro shirts at a time when there was no such interest, rawlings began supplying the majors about 25 yrs ago. they differentiated between pro and retail shirts by sewing the tagging differently. 2 sides of the tag were sewn for the retail tags, while all 4 sides were sewn on the pro tags.

rudy.

Comment

Working...