PDA

View Full Version : Pine Tar Question

marinersbaseballfan21
03-06-2009, 02:12 AM
I recently got a game used bat that I was told was used in 2003, but the pine tar's still a little sticky. Should I be concerned?

mariner_gamers
03-06-2009, 10:43 AM
This may sound funny but how does it smell?? Is the pine tar scent strong? For me the smell is very telling. With fresh pine tar you can almost taste it when you pick up the bat. As it ages you have to get your nose right on it to get a whiff. After 6 years you will still smell it but you should have to have your nose pretty close. One last thing about the smell was this bat mailed to you are did you pick it up? If it was mailed fresh pine tar would have been VERY noticeable as you opened the box.

How much and how sticky. Are we talking Edgar/Buhner amounts of tar or a light "dusting". If you put a new sock over the bat for shipping would you have to peel it off the bat? Obviously fresh tar will be very tacky and would be covered in white lint if covered by a sock.

It also depends on how the bat was stored and where it is from. I have noticed the dry, hot air of AZ hardens/dries tar and even the bats themselves in a whole different manner than Seattle weather did.

Hope this helps!!
Davis

marinersbaseballfan21
03-06-2009, 02:31 PM
It's the Edgar bat I got that I'm talking about (will get pics on here later today). The pine tar is pretty light and just on the label, I can smell it from about 1 1/2 inches away. The bat was shipped from Ohio. It's not really sticky, but it's the first bat I've gotten that is sticky.

mariner_gamers
03-06-2009, 03:09 PM
I will be interested to see some pics you are probably fine. My 2004 is a bit tacky if I really grab onto it. I can smell the tar at about the same point you can. Edgar bats can go from zero to heavy tar depending on their age, his mood or I suppose the weather. He always seemed to lose grip on his bats when it was cold.

Early 1990's Edgar's bat have little or no tar and it seems to progressively get heavier as his career went along. It also has to do with how it was applied. Sprayed directly on, stick, worked with a rag etc.........

b.heagy
03-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Yes, it is possible for the pine tar to be tacky/sticky. I have a Thome BP from the same era. Purchased a couple years ago. It was sent to me in a bat tube and that's where it stayed. Pine tar is still tacky. PSA/DNA authenticated.

b.heagy
03-06-2009, 07:06 PM
wrong pic. here is the right one.

marinersbaseballfan21
03-06-2009, 09:35 PM
OK, thanks for putting my mind at ease.