PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Glove Date Codes

grenda12
03-08-2009, 01:27 AM
Anybody know anything about them?

camarokids
03-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Just call Wilson Sports directly and they will decipher the code for you.
They will not divulge the code formula, trade secret, I was told.

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Wilson Sporting Goods Co.
8750 W. Bryn Mawr Ave
Chicago, Illinois 60631
USA
Tel. +1 773 714 6400
>>Click for Customer Service (http://wilson-sports.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wilson_sports.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php)
Email: askwilson@wilson.com

grenda12
03-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Where exactly is the date code located?

camarokids
03-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Where exactly is the date code located?

It is a three letter code. On the outside of the glove on the pinky side. It is close to the wrist opening, next to Japan.

camarokids
03-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Hey Grenda,

here is a pic, which is easier than trying to explain....

camarokids
06-10-2015, 11:03 PM
Just call Wilson Sports directly and they will decipher the code for you.
They will not divulge the code formula, trade secret, I was told.

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Wilson Sporting Goods Co.
8750 W. Bryn Mawr Ave
Chicago, Illinois 60631
USA
Tel. +1 773 714 6400
>>Click for Customer Service (http://wilson-sports.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wilson_sports.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php)
Email: askwilson@wilson.com

bump

gobills123
06-11-2015, 08:44 AM
Wilson Gloves.... Man oh man... I had no idea what a collectible these had become. Quick story, I was at a local card store and had just started getting into gloves. There was an older Wilson A2000 in the back of a lower display case and I asked the owner what was up with that. He came over and said that at one time it was autographed by the entire 2003 AL All Star squad but it has since faded and he didnt know where the Certificate was. I mentioned it was really nice glove and would be a blast to play with. I'd never owned a Wilson that nice (this thing had all the bells and whistles.. Stiffest glove ever,Finger sleeve, a actual ramp for your index finger to go on the outside of the glove- the works ) and said that its too bad its an all star glve because it'd be fun to play with! He said he had no use for it and it was worthless due to the faded autos so if i wanted it for $20, it was mine. I didnt think twice and planned on using it. The 2003 all star game logo in the palm would be weird, but the autos would fade further after a season of hardball. Once I got home, I started doing some research. 1st-any Wilson glove that has the JAPAN marking is in demand because the leather is ssoo much nicer than what is at retail, basically Pro Issue . This had the Japan Marking. Then I noticed it was only out of 50 (this was before wilson made a ton for the asg every year) It also turned out to have Wilson's Master Glovesmith ASO's stamp, so it was personally made by the same guy making Bonds's gloves. I looked a bit further in the hand stall and noticed a MLB Holo sticker and looked up the number and it said 2003 All Star Game Field/Home Run Derby Glove Signed: Complete AL AST. Now the signatures were a faded, but many could still be made out. But after realizing the glove itself was collectible (only 50 total, 10 of which were signed 5 by each squad) is it more valuable to a auto collector be cause of the signatures, or more so to the glove market because the autos are faded and Wilson collectors can be a bit nuts throwin $$ around. I was kinda sad I could play with it anymore and felt bad that I'd bought it under that petence- but at the same time I could use the $ to buy a new glove and not ruin this piece in the process. I put it up on ebay and with in 10 min had an offer for 1K and just like that, it was gone!!! It was a glove collector that was after it so I guess the moral of the story is those markings can make a BIG difference in worth and this guy looked at it as a worthless glove with worn signatures. I saw a very rare glove. It was just a question of if the signatures were like graffiti ( like mom writing your name and phone number on your glove) and that would turn a glove guy off. Apparently it didnt. So, make sure you know where your gloves came from... you could have a hidden gem!