PDA

View Full Version : A New Magazine Came Out Today. IT'S ALL ABOUT GAME USED!!!!!

kylehess10
04-21-2006, 07:46 PM
I still get my Beckett Baseball magazines (from a subscription) from when I was still collecting game used cards, but I was really surprised today when I got home to find a new magazine in my mailbox called "Beckett Elite". It's a new magazine from Beckett and they sent everybody one for free I think to see what it's like. It talks ALL about game used (Not Game Used Cards), what's going up for auction soon from Lelands,Mastro,etc., what recent auctions sold for,some interesting facts about some historic game used,etc. It just has so much stuff in it and I found inside the magazine a "business reply" letter for a free 1 year subscription!! It says that is only comes out 4 times a year though. It's a really nice magazine and I suggest everybody here picking one up plus you'll get that 1 year subscription for free. I added some pic of what the magazine looks like

kylehess10
04-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Some more pics........

Eric
04-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Does anyone have any idea how to pick up a copy of this magazine? I'm really interested in reading it, and even subscribing to it.

I have looked in two large magazine stores here in new york city and haven't been able to find it.

Thanks
Eric

kylehess10
04-28-2006, 06:35 PM
I couldn't find anything about it on beckett.com so try e-mailing them about subscribing and I'm sure they'll send you the free copy

kswarriors
04-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Try E-bay. Last I looked, they had several new copies up for auction for $1.00 plus a few bucks shipping, for a total less than the cover price.

trsent
04-28-2006, 11:42 PM
Eric, you are two days late with me, I just returned the five copies they sent me (without me asking for them) as my retail shop is more for sales of cards and coins (oh yeah, and buying them also - fyi, we just bought 100 vintage Ernie Banks autographed baseballs today, most personalized, so if you are looking for an inscription to someone, email me, maybe I have it) because we didn't think it would sell.

Nice magazine, but not geared for us collectors - Yet.

It may come around. Maybe they should have asked me to write a column.

Eric
04-28-2006, 11:47 PM
I appreciate the responses. I just bought one cheap off ebay.

To Joel and others who read the magazine, what is your specific analysis of the goal of the magazine, the content, the analysis of the hobby etc?

Eric

trsent
04-28-2006, 11:49 PM
I felt the magazine was talking about memorabilia that was out of most of our leagues. It didn't focus too much on our current trends for the average collector.

ChrisCavalier
04-29-2006, 12:52 PM
To Joel and others who read the magazine, what is your specific analysis of the goal of the magazine, the content, the analysis of the hobby etc?
Hello Eric,

For the benefit of our members, I was able to get some more information about the Elite publication with the aid of Todd Westover and Tracy Hackler at Beckett. BTW, Todd, an advertising agent with Beckett, is a passionate game used collector and premium member of our site (not to mention a great person to talk to about the hobby). In any event, Tracy was kind enough to sent me an email with the following information about Beckett Elite:

Beckett Elite is a quarterly, high-end magazine dedicated to the exciting world of sports memorabilia and sports auctions. It's a controlled circulation publication (meaning it is sent to select recipients identified by Beckett) with bonus distribution in Barnes & Noble and through Beckett's dealer channel.
In addition to compelling feature content exploring the auction histories of the sports world's greatest icons, Beckett Elite provides value analysis on items from baseball, basketball, football, hockey, boxing, golf and Americana.
The magazine will preview all upcoming auctions and provide comprehensive results from recently closed auctions.
Copies of the magazine will be available for sale on Beckett's website shortly.Personally, I think the publication is well done and, to me, has a similar feel as the recently released book "Smithsonian Baseball" with great images of key items recently offered in auction. I also think Joel is correct in that the publication is targeted to high end collectors. In fact, the following are some excerpts from Beckett regarding the magazine. This is from a piece of their promotional material entitled 'The Definitive Resource For Today's Upscale Sports Collector':

"...With the highly anticipated Beckett Elite, Beckett Media will cover every fascinating facet of the sports auction industry with an elegant quarterly magazine distributed exclusively to the most affluent male audience in the country. Beckett Elite’s staff of experts will provide unmatched coverage of the billion-dollar sports auction business with an upscale presentation that places a premium on brilliant photography, compelling feature writing and uncompromising diligence devoted to valuation trends and vital marketplace information.

The magazine will canvass America’s finest sports auctions and their well heeled participants, providing the necessary back stories and forward-thinking analysis that gives every page both historical and topical relevance.

Beckett Elite is the first publication of its kind – the only magazine in the country devoted exclusively to the sports auction lifestyle...

...Beckett Elite: An elite magazine for elite readers dedicated to an elite industry."

I hope that provides our members with more information about the publication. Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions about Beckett Elite and I will be happy to try to get the answers for you.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier

allstarsplus
04-29-2006, 05:00 PM
I received my copy of Elite and was overall impressed by the photography and paper quality and enjoyed the News & Notes section and auction articles. It is definitely "high end" and has a pricey newstand cost of $10.

If it is going to be a quarterly, I am concerned how timely the articles can be. For instance, some auctions will have catalogues out that will have auctions started and ended before it could be covered in this magazine so final auction results could be reported 2 to 3 months after. I am sure they will get many sneak peaks as they had on the Geppis which was a great article too.

Christopher Cavalier is right on regarding Todd Westover. Todd is a great asset to Beckett and to the hobby as Todd is a great collector of game used jerseys.