PDA

View Full Version : Stumbled Across HUGE San Antonio Spurs Lot

The Titan
03-09-2009, 10:33 AM
This weekend a friend of mine pointed me in the direction of an enormous San Antonio Spurs Lot, that consists of 50 pieces of Game Worn Warm-ups from multiple years. Quite a bit from last year. I haven't received it yet but think I got a steal on this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180333746458

What I'm wanting to find out from the Basketball Collectors is a good place to get COA's from certain items in this lot. Does anyone know where I can send these to get them authenticated? Mears? Does Meigray do this type of work outside of their own collection?

Also for those who have had this type of work done, around how much is the cost for getting COA's for individual items?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John

john_bevers@hotmail.com

mbenga28
03-09-2009, 11:38 AM
how do you know which items were worn by which players? do you have a photo match?

suave1477
03-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I am a big Spurs fan so I would be interested in what's in this lot?

But I am curious other than the seller claiming they are game used, what else makes you believe they are game used?
I don't mean to seem, so glass half empty, but for all we know it could of been a few boxes of left over items from a sports store.

I am not a basketball game used expert so I am curious how a Game Used warm up would differentiate from a retail one?

mbenga28
03-09-2009, 12:19 PM
in the auction photos you see the player's numbers written on the tagging, which I think is what they normally do for warmups and also with game shorts, right?

suave1477
03-09-2009, 12:31 PM
in the auction photos you see the player's numbers written on the tagging, which I think is what they normally do for warmups and also with game shorts, right?

I understand that may be normal procedure to write the players name in marker on the warm up. But what proof that I or you didn't write those numbers on them???

The Titan
03-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I understand that may be normal procedure to write the players name in marker on the warm up. But what proof that I or you didn't write those numbers on them???

That's what I'm wanting to know, is who I can send them to and make sure they're legit? Will authenticators do this, will they photomatch them, or do I need to photomatch them before sending them off?

That's all I've gathered is just from what I've seen in the pictures. I've only seen the numbers written on the tags and what not. I won't know until the box arrives. Which is kind of scary now.

mbenga28
03-09-2009, 01:00 PM
if it's scary why did you decide to bid on the auction then? didn't you ask the seller for more information to its provenance?

both-teams-played-hard
03-09-2009, 01:12 PM
if it's scary why did you decide to bid on the auction then? didn't you ask the seller for more information to its provenance?

I think the scary part is the doubt that has been planted in Titan's mind. No matter what, the lot can be broken apart and sold for at least what was paid. Seems you guys want to rain on dude's parade.
For the record, I am not an expert and know nothing about uniforms from this century. I do not think it is possible or profitable for a third party to authenticate these items.
Research the difference between retail models and gamers. A photo-match? Good luck with all that. I think a re-sell profit will happen; but it ain't a flipper's paradise. Try to find some contact info for the Spurs EM.

emann
03-09-2009, 02:25 PM

That would be why I didn't bid in (saw that auction when it went up w/ the Buy-it-now of $1500 or so)... :rolleyes:

But, I agree you could probably make the money back without much problem... Even if they show up and are brand new or game issued, you'd still end up selling them for more than $500 total individually. At issue for me was also why the seller didn't just do that in the first place.

suave1477
03-09-2009, 02:38 PM
I think the scary part is the doubt that has been planted in Titan's mind. No matter what, the lot can be broken apart and sold for at least what was paid. Seems you guys want to rain on dude's parade.
For the record, I am not an expert and know nothing about uniforms from this century. I do not think it is possible or profitable for a third party to authenticate these items.
Research the difference between retail models and gamers. A photo-match? Good luck with all that. I think a re-sell profit will happen; but it ain't a flipper's paradise. Try to find some contact info for the Spurs EM.

I am not trying to rain on his parade. I am actually saying that since I am a Spurs fan I myself would be interested in purchasing some items from him. I was just curious to know though how he, you or anyone would know that they are legit? Is there a way to tell with out the obvious, Photomatches, Team LOA'S, Player LOA'S, etc....??

otismalibu
03-09-2009, 02:43 PM
I was just curious to know though how he, you or anyone would know that they are legit? Is there a way to tell with out the obvious, Photomatches, Team LOA'S, Player LOA'S, etc....??

There's never much to go one with warmups, except for the tags. And often, it's just the old black hand written marker.

And sometimes, that marker looks amazingly fresh on 25 year old pieces. ;)

larry bourget
03-09-2009, 03:23 PM
This weekend a friend of mine pointed me in the direction of an enormous San Antonio Spurs Lot, that consists of 50 pieces of Game Worn Warm-ups from multiple years. Quite a bit from last year. I haven't received it yet but think I got a steal on this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180333746458

What I'm wanting to find out from the Basketball Collectors is a good place to get COA's from certain items in this lot. Does anyone know where I can send these to get them authenticated? Mears? Does Meigray do this type of work outside of their own collection?

Also for those who have had this type of work done, around how much is the cost for getting COA's for individual items?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John

john_bevers@hotmail.com

John,

Don't waste your money paying for someone else's opinion, I would draw up a letter of History&Provenance for the lot in General with the ebay pics/info etc. stating how you obtained the lot, and as you sell what you want include that the "individual sold piece" was part of that lot you purchased. I as a buyer would value that more than what some self proclaimed Authenticator would say. That's my opinion and it was free. Looks like some real nice items. Good Success with Marketing them.

Larry

Skillz
03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Looks like you got a steal. Good luck flipping them.

The Titan
03-09-2009, 04:56 PM
I appreciate all the comments/opinions from everyone. No worries, no one is raining on my parade. It's just part of the hobby to question the items. I only saw the auction 1hr 50 min before it ended, I didn't have a ton of time to figure it all out. Some of the photos looked good, and if they were really game worn or game issued the price was well worth it.

Only thing is I didn't buy them to flip 'em. :) I didn't mean to come off that way to anyone. There are a couple interested in an item or two when I get them I wouldn't mind dealing with them to get them an item. I use to collect everything under the sun but have since slowed way down on collecting and decided only to collect Spurs/Titans/Oilers jerseys and game items. I haven't sold any of my "Team's" items yet and didn't plan on it. I apologize in advance if I came off like I bought this all just to flip them.

I appreciate what everyone had to say, especially Both-Teams-Played-Hard, emann and Larry. It would be difficult to prove if they were game worn or not. I mean how much wear could a warm-up have on it? Not much, and I'm sure people don't take tons of photos of the players in their warm-ups. Seems like it would be nearly impossible.

I'm pretty happy with the purchase, I was planning on spending a lot more to get the lot, but afterwards got some small doubts in the back of my mind after winning it for the price it was won at with 50 pieces being in the lot.

I will take pictures and get a list when it comes in to see if we can make more sense of what they really are.

The seller was a really nice guy. I had been looking at his feedback and what he's sold in the past and it was vaccuum cleaners and stuff out of the ordinary away from a Spurs lot or game used items. I had asked him where he received them from and I'm pretty sure he said a charity. I will have to check my personal e-mail when I get home because I'm not able to while I'm at work.

I appreciate you guys and will have more info on the lot soon. Opions still welcome all the time. :)

John

dcrules01
03-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Congrats buddy :cool:

buckeyegamers
03-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Can't wait to see what you get Big John.....make sure to share a lot of pictures with us :)

The Titan
03-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks Scott and Gary. I definitely will! ;)

The Titan
03-30-2009, 09:30 AM
I received a box full of warm ups on Thursday, I noticed it seemed a bit short so I counted the pieces and it only came out to 30. I contacted the seller and they said there's a 2nd box on it's way. Hopefully. It took a while to get the first box.

But after checking out the pieces I was really impressed with what was in there. It's mostly Adidas, but there are a few Reebok items. A few of the Adidas have the 35th anniversary patches on the shoulder of some of the tops, and I also noticed there are two different styles of the 35th patch. I'll take pics later to show what I am talking about.

There were 3 shooting jackets, 2 black and 1 white. I believe two were listed as large + a number but were pretty huge. They were quite a bit bigger than me and I'm 6'4" 250lbs. They fit pretty loosely.

There were some huge warm up pants in there as well. 3 pairs had the #21 on the tag and came up to my armpits. They were enormous. there were several different types of long-sleeved, short-sleeved and sleeveless shooting shirts with #21 on them. The other pairs of large warm up pants had #15 and #7.

There were 2 pairs of white warm ups with the #9 on them.

No need to tell me what numbers represent who ;) except for #35 and #42. I need to do a little research to find out who those players were.

Once I get the other box and go through it I will take a few pics of what all was in there.

trsent
03-30-2009, 10:16 AM
No need to tell me what numbers represent who ;) except for #35 and #42. I need to do a little research to find out who those players were.

Once I get the other box and go through it I will take a few pics of what all was in there.

#35 -
Danny Ferry 2001-2003
Darius Washington 2008-2008
Anthony Tolliver 2009-2009

#42 -
Kevin Willis 2003-2004
Bobby Jones 2008-2008

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/numbers.html

If a player only played in the pre-season you may not find his number listed and may have to waste time on gettyimages.com to see if you can find a player wearing the uniform number in the pre-season or photo-shoot.

The Titan
03-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Thank you for the reference trsent, it's very very much appreciated.
Yea the warm ups for both of those numbers were for last year. I wish it was for Kevin Willis. I would like that much better.

Thank you sir.
John

john.bevers@gmail.com

gatorcollector
03-30-2009, 01:55 PM
If you have anything of Matt Bonner #15 that you would like to sell, please let me know. bcouture@cfl.rr.com

The Titan
04-02-2009, 01:26 PM
The 2nd and final box showed up yesterday. It was the last 20 items and they were all Warm Up Pants. Ginobili, Oberto, Udoka, Horry, Bonner and Finley mostly.

E-mail sent Gator.

John