Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Titan
    • Aug 2007

Stumbled Across HUGE San Antonio Spurs Lot

This weekend a friend of mine pointed me in the direction of an enormous San Antonio Spurs Lot, that consists of 50 pieces of Game Worn Warm-ups from multiple years. Quite a bit from last year. I haven't received it yet but think I got a steal on this.

What I'm wanting to find out from the Basketball Collectors is a good place to get COA's from certain items in this lot. Does anyone know where I can send these to get them authenticated? Mears? Does Meigray do this type of work outside of their own collection?

Also for those who have had this type of work done, around how much is the cost for getting COA's for individual items?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John

john_bevers@hotmail.com
  • mbenga28
    • Nov 2008

Re: Stumbled Across HUGE San Antonio Spurs Lot

how do you know which items were worn by which players? do you have a photo match?

Comment

• suave1477
      Banned
      • Jan 2006

I am a big Spurs fan so I would be interested in what's in this lot?

But I am curious other than the seller claiming they are game used, what else makes you believe they are game used?
      I don't mean to seem, so glass half empty, but for all we know it could of been a few boxes of left over items from a sports store.

I am not a basketball game used expert so I am curious how a Game Used warm up would differentiate from a retail one?

Comment

• mbenga28
        • Nov 2008

in the auction photos you see the player's numbers written on the tagging, which I think is what they normally do for warmups and also with game shorts, right?

Comment

• suave1477
          Banned
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mbenga28
          in the auction photos you see the player's numbers written on the tagging, which I think is what they normally do for warmups and also with game shorts, right?
          I understand that may be normal procedure to write the players name in marker on the warm up. But what proof that I or you didn't write those numbers on them???

Comment

• The Titan
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by suave1477
            I understand that may be normal procedure to write the players name in marker on the warm up. But what proof that I or you didn't write those numbers on them???
            That's what I'm wanting to know, is who I can send them to and make sure they're legit? Will authenticators do this, will they photomatch them, or do I need to photomatch them before sending them off?

That's all I've gathered is just from what I've seen in the pictures. I've only seen the numbers written on the tags and what not. I won't know until the box arrives. Which is kind of scary now.

Comment

• mbenga28
              • Nov 2008

if it's scary why did you decide to bid on the auction then? didn't you ask the seller for more information to its provenance?

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                • Nov 2005

if it's scary why did you decide to bid on the auction then? didn't you ask the seller for more information to its provenance?
                I think the scary part is the doubt that has been planted in Titan's mind. No matter what, the lot can be broken apart and sold for at least what was paid. Seems you guys want to rain on dude's parade.
                For the record, I am not an expert and know nothing about uniforms from this century. I do not think it is possible or profitable for a third party to authenticate these items.
                Research the difference between retail models and gamers. A photo-match? Good luck with all that. I think a re-sell profit will happen; but it ain't a flipper's paradise. Try to find some contact info for the Spurs EM.

Comment

• emann
                  • Nov 2008

That would be why I didn't bid in (saw that auction when it went up w/ the Buy-it-now of $1500 or so)...

But, I agree you could probably make the money back without much problem... Even if they show up and are brand new or game issued, you'd still end up selling them for more than $500 total individually. At issue for me was also why the seller didn't just do that in the first place.

Comment

• suave1477
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by both-teams-played-hard
                    I think the scary part is the doubt that has been planted in Titan's mind. No matter what, the lot can be broken apart and sold for at least what was paid. Seems you guys want to rain on dude's parade.
                    For the record, I am not an expert and know nothing about uniforms from this century. I do not think it is possible or profitable for a third party to authenticate these items.
                    Research the difference between retail models and gamers. A photo-match? Good luck with all that. I think a re-sell profit will happen; but it ain't a flipper's paradise. Try to find some contact info for the Spurs EM.
                    I am not trying to rain on his parade. I am actually saying that since I am a Spurs fan I myself would be interested in purchasing some items from him. I was just curious to know though how he, you or anyone would know that they are legit? Is there a way to tell with out the obvious, Photomatches, Team LOA'S, Player LOA'S, etc....??

Comment

• otismalibu
                      • Nov 2005

I was just curious to know though how he, you or anyone would know that they are legit? Is there a way to tell with out the obvious, Photomatches, Team LOA'S, Player LOA'S, etc....??
                      There's never much to go one with warmups, except for the tags. And often, it's just the old black hand written marker.

And sometimes, that marker looks amazingly fresh on 25 year old pieces.
                      Greg
                      DrJStuff.com

Comment

• larry bourget
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by The Titan
                        This weekend a friend of mine pointed me in the direction of an enormous San Antonio Spurs Lot, that consists of 50 pieces of Game Worn Warm-ups from multiple years. Quite a bit from last year. I haven't received it yet but think I got a steal on this.

What I'm wanting to find out from the Basketball Collectors is a good place to get COA's from certain items in this lot. Does anyone know where I can send these to get them authenticated? Mears? Does Meigray do this type of work outside of their own collection?

Also for those who have had this type of work done, around how much is the cost for getting COA's for individual items?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John

john_bevers@hotmail.com
                        John,

Don't waste your money paying for someone else's opinion, I would draw up a letter of History&Provenance for the lot in General with the ebay pics/info etc. stating how you obtained the lot, and as you sell what you want include that the "individual sold piece" was part of that lot you purchased. I as a buyer would value that more than what some self proclaimed Authenticator would say. That's my opinion and it was free. Looks like some real nice items. Good Success with Marketing them.

Larry

Comment

• Skillz
                          • Jul 2008

Looks like you got a steal. Good luck flipping them.

Comment

• The Titan
                            • Aug 2007

I appreciate all the comments/opinions from everyone. No worries, no one is raining on my parade. It's just part of the hobby to question the items. I only saw the auction 1hr 50 min before it ended, I didn't have a ton of time to figure it all out. Some of the photos looked good, and if they were really game worn or game issued the price was well worth it.

Only thing is I didn't buy them to flip 'em. I didn't mean to come off that way to anyone. There are a couple interested in an item or two when I get them I wouldn't mind dealing with them to get them an item. I use to collect everything under the sun but have since slowed way down on collecting and decided only to collect Spurs/Titans/Oilers jerseys and game items. I haven't sold any of my "Team's" items yet and didn't plan on it. I apologize in advance if I came off like I bought this all just to flip them.

I appreciate what everyone had to say, especially Both-Teams-Played-Hard, emann and Larry. It would be difficult to prove if they were game worn or not. I mean how much wear could a warm-up have on it? Not much, and I'm sure people don't take tons of photos of the players in their warm-ups. Seems like it would be nearly impossible.

I'm pretty happy with the purchase, I was planning on spending a lot more to get the lot, but afterwards got some small doubts in the back of my mind after winning it for the price it was won at with 50 pieces being in the lot.

I will take pictures and get a list when it comes in to see if we can make more sense of what they really are.

The seller was a really nice guy. I had been looking at his feedback and what he's sold in the past and it was vaccuum cleaners and stuff out of the ordinary away from a Spurs lot or game used items. I had asked him where he received them from and I'm pretty sure he said a charity. I will have to check my personal e-mail when I get home because I'm not able to while I'm at work.

I appreciate you guys and will have more info on the lot soon. Opions still welcome all the time.

John

Comment

• dcrules01
                              • Nov 2005

Congrats buddy
                              Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Comment

Working...