PDA

View Full Version : D'Backs Auction History For Charity

Eric
04-22-2006, 09:55 AM
D-backs auction to benefit paralyzed Peoria police officer
The Business Journal of Phoenix - 1:13 PM MST Friday
Arizona Diamondbacks fans can bid on the bat and gloves Luis Gonzalez used to make baseball history earlier this week.

Gonzalez is the 21st player in Major League Baseball history to hit 300 home runs and 500 doubles in his career. The Diamondbacks outfielder reached that milestone Tuesday night at Chase Field in a game against the San Francisco Giants.

The online auction, featuring the bat and batting gloves, will run on www.diamondbacks.com from 6 p.m. to 11:59 p.m., on Monday.

Proceeds from the auction will benefit Peoria Police Officer Bill Weigt, who is recovering from an on-duty gunshot wound that has left him paralyzed from the chest down.

Gonzalez has become close to Officer Weigt during his recovery and wanted to the funds raised from this package to benefit his family.

"I'm truly humbled by the good fortune I've had to achieve a milestone such as this, but a person like Officer Weigt, who puts his life on the line, is the true hero," said Gonzalez. "Thanks to the friendship I have with him and his family, it's an honor for me to be able to provide a package like this to assist his comeback."

allstarsplus
04-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Let's hope it sells for lots of $$$$$$$$