PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever used a game used item?

chakes89
03-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Just like the "Have you ever worn your jersey" threads, have any of you ever used a game used bat while playing? (Or any other item for that matter)

I have an uncracked, game issued bat with zero use that I am thinking about using in the batting cages and when I mess around with friends because I haven't been able to sell it and I kinda like the feel and weight of it.

Has anyone else ever done this or thought about doing this?

Thanks

skyking26
03-09-2009, 11:26 PM
All depends on what it is and value. If it has a value of over $100......nope.

chakes89
03-09-2009, 11:28 PM
It's a Matt LaPorta game issued BWP

It got very little action on eBay after 5-6 listings so I gave up trying to sell it

OaklandAsFan
03-10-2009, 01:01 AM
yeah I had a Ramon Hernandez that he gave me that I used at the cages until I took a bad hit off the end of the cup and it broke. Now I use an old Ben Grieve ST gamer that has a minuscule crack in it when I go to the cages and screw around.

kylehess10
03-10-2009, 09:44 AM
I personally like to use unknown players bats. It's great for practice with wooden bats and the ones I use come from Cardinals Spring Training. I got them for $6 a piece...which is a lot better than $100 or so of what a new professional LS would cost.

gannonknight85
03-10-2009, 09:56 AM
what were you looking to sell the laporta for?

bigtruck260
03-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Here is my side...

I still work out in the cages in the spring/summer just to stay below 250:D

I prefer maple in the cages, because strangely enough, they seem to be more durable than the ash bats I have purchased retail for $60-70 bucks.
A pro-stock LVS ash bat is not cheap. The maple M9's are over $100. The Mizuno maple bats I use are about $60 and forget about trying to use a Sam, X-Bat or Marucci in the cage - that's for rich people...not to mention, if I had a bat with my name engraved, I would not destroy it with rubber baseballs.

That being said, I have bought bats from lesser known players (unused) on eBay for about $10-$20. It's a brand new, high quality pro bat for a fraction of the price. Of course I would use a non gamer. It's a no-brainer.

As far as an actual game used bat from a player...? Not a chance. There is always someone looking for a bat you have. They might not need it now, but they will someday. Why take it out of the hobby?

Dave

BMH
03-10-2009, 01:08 PM
I can't count the number of bats we've used in cages that were gamers from other companies. Pujols, Ortiz, Bonds, Wright...the list goes on. We beat on them for a while, then we test our product. We then take both and cut them up to look at internal cell structure damage. Lots of fun.

shoremen44
03-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Brian... you love teasing the rest of us don't you...

we take apart our competitions products as well... not quite as fun as bats though

chakes89
03-10-2009, 04:56 PM
I use a LVS Model C331 M9 that is Wine and Black in color

I love it because it has an oversized knob and good balance

It is like $80 or $90 retail but I got it for $60 at my local Dick's Sporting Goods because it had a slight discoloration on the handle and I convinced the store manager to give me a discount because of that. :D

GarkoCollector
03-10-2009, 05:34 PM
I tried out a Game Used Garko C243 in a batting cage once. I couldnt hit with it either :D

Vintagedeputy
03-10-2009, 06:23 PM
I had a few game used balls that we caught in bp from the AAA Richmond Braves. I let the kids play with them in the back yard.

grenda12
03-10-2009, 06:33 PM
I had a few game used balls that we caught in bp from the AAA Richmond Braves. I let the kids play with them in the back yard.

Same thing here. I got a few balls from spring training and used them to hit with.

OaklandAsFan
03-11-2009, 12:14 AM
my father grew up in NYC way back in the Ruth/Gehrig era and he used to play with the baseballs that he got from the stadium that were autographed by Ruth and Gehrig all the time in the streets because it was the only baseball they had.

mariner_gamers
03-11-2009, 12:53 AM
I haven't but if I ever get the chance to face a current or former MLB pitcher still some what in their prime I will use two. I will use an uncracked, game used, Rawlings Lee Tinsley to take cuts and one of my game used helmets to protect my scunion. The Tinsley has the nicest feel of any bat I have ever swung and if I get into the box against a pro it just seems fitting. Plus chances are I won't touch any of the pitches so no harm done.......

metsbats
03-11-2009, 10:05 PM
I wear my Ramon Castro game used catcher's helmet when I'm up in my attic so because of the low ceiling. These batting helmets can really absorb the accidental contact with hard wood.

Yankwood
03-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Sometimes all I wear is my Babe Ruth game used jock strap and cup around the house. I don't quite fill it up the way the Babe did but my wife gets a real "rise" out of it.

suicide_squeeze
03-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Here is my side...

Of course I would use a non gamer. It's a no-brainer.

As far as an actual game used bat from a player...? Not a chance. There is always someone looking for a bat you have. They might not need it now, but they will someday. Why take it out of the hobby?

Dave

Dave.....

You appear to be, of the ones who took the time to post, the only one who is taking the issue seriously.

I agree with you 100%. If it is truly a real "gamer" of a professional player, why destroy it's heritage by using it? Not right.

If you are going to do that, then take it to your grave with you, because you truly have "removed it" from the hobby by modifying the use....no matter how slight.

Upon first contact with a baseball while in your hands......it's impure (no longer authentic in it's original form).

I am not trying to be overly religious here in our hobby, just pointing out the fact that if you plan on releasing it someday, have respect for what it is, and for keeping our hobby "clean". There are already too many people out there fabricating use on bats for financial gain. It could be argued that you guys who use these bats for a moment of self-rightousness are aiding and abetting them in their cause.

So go ahead and swing away........but make sure it's just at "air". Keep it clean, please.

ndevlin
03-12-2009, 10:10 AM
The question should be....

"Have you ever used a game used item? When you sell it, will you list it as used by you?

I know all of you will say yes, yes I will. But really though, you would list it as being used by you? Pretty sure not everyone would, and that is the part that kinda bugs me.

Neely8
03-12-2009, 10:26 AM
I have used all kinds of game used hockey equipment to play in including sticks, gloves, skates, helmets, half shields, pants, and elbow pads. No better equipment to use than the pros!

chakes89
03-12-2009, 03:00 PM
The question should be....

"Have you ever used a game used item? When you sell it, will you list it as used by you?

I know all of you will say yes, yes I will. But really though, you would list it as being used by you? Pretty sure not everyone would, and that is the part that kinda bugs me.
If I am going to use a bat, Im going to use it until it breaks. And when it breaks I will either keep it or throw it away.

No point in selling a bat that I used

nkeubie@embarqmail.com
03-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Nah, never actually used one of my game used pieces. I'm guilty of trying on the jersey's and swinging the bats around the house though, but I think we've all done that.

geoff
03-12-2009, 11:36 PM
No never will use a Game Used Item.I think its dead wrong to do a thing like that.