PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Authentics reliable?

gingi79
03-10-2009, 12:52 PM
I haven't bid on their auctions before but in the past, I have regretted not doing so. I know Lou Lampson works with them but the new auction has like 6 Atlanta Braves jerseys with World Series Patches (Including a Chipper from 1996 which I'd love to own)

Are they reliable and trustworthy or am I throwing away money bidding with them? Specifically:
http://www.vintageauthentics.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=103131359&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=103478069

Maybe Kyle can chime in on this one but I don't think the lettering looks right for "Braves" or "Jones" I also see on getty images that he wore both "Jones" and "C. Jones" in the playoffs but game 3 of the 1996 W.S. was Andruw's 2 hr game and I think he had C. Jones during the W.S.

Opinions?

mvandor
03-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Sounds like you want to take a shortcut and just trust an auction house.

Don't. Go to Getty and do your homework.

And that name arc looks horrible.

flaco1801
03-10-2009, 01:31 PM
the "braves" lettering doesnt look odd to you?

BULBUS
03-10-2009, 01:41 PM
yeh, that "jones" looks terrible! here is a pic from the '96 nlds:

shoremen44
03-10-2009, 01:53 PM
I couldnt find a home WS pic... but here is a road showing he wore just "JONES" on the back... but I agree with everyone else the namplate is too low, and the letters look like crap

kylehess10
03-10-2009, 02:08 PM
That nameplate is just horrific. My guess is that this jersey is doctored and that the "JONES" nameplate came from another jersey, which was arched longer, and it was cut off and resewn onto the center of that jersey, which makes it look so off and more arched like that. Also the autograph looks kinda fishy. The beginning of the "C" and the "J" are off.

kingjammy24
03-10-2009, 02:12 PM
http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=212&lot=1114

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=212&lot=1111

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=212&lot=1119

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=205&lot=1959

rudy.

sylbry
03-10-2009, 02:59 PM
The V in Braves looks a little droopy. The jersey may have been customized by this guy.

gingi79
03-10-2009, 03:03 PM
the "braves" lettering doesnt look odd to you?

Yes it does as I said:

I don't think the lettering looks right for "Braves" or "Jones"

Sounds like you want to take a shortcut and just trust an auction house.

Don't. Go to Getty and do your homework.

And that name arc looks horrible.

Isn't that what I said? I wanted opinions, I wasn't just bidding ;)

I also see on getty images that he wore both "Jones" and "C. Jones" in the playoffs

The worst part is these appear to be the same ones KingJammy posted from the May 2002 Lelands Auction. The N in both Chipper and Andruw Jones names looks way off. The way it's sewn on doesn't match any of the pictures I have seen from any Braves jersey from the time they started arching until 07 or 08 when they stopped.

I realized a bunch of red flags about halfway through my post. I just wanted some verification that there wasn't some weird change for the W.S. I wasn't aware of or that I was seeing things.

buc
03-10-2009, 03:37 PM
The Chipper jersey from Lelands and Vintage are the same jersey.

kingjammy24
03-10-2009, 07:15 PM
here are some photos for you guys to chew on.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5939/silly2k.jpg

don't tell me noone here has the 1996 world series on dvd/vhs? chipper was a marquee player. he probably appears in highlights for all of the home games. just watch the games and you'll see whether he wore "jones" or "c. jones".

rudy.

kingjammy24
03-10-2009, 07:16 PM
by the way, the vintage jersey has a date tag behind the size flag tag. anyone ask them for the wilson code on that date tag? it would probably help.

rudy.

markize
03-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Rudy,

are both Andruw Jones pictures from the 1996 WS? the letter "A" on the home jersey looks different than the "A" on the away jersey. also, the home jersey appears to have the name sewn directly onto the jersey where the away jersey has a nameplate.

mark

kingjammy24
03-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Rudy,

are both Andruw Jones pictures from the 1996 WS? the letter "A" on the home jersey looks different than the "A" on the away jersey. also, the home jersey appears to have the name sewn directly onto the jersey where the away jersey has a nameplate.

mark

mark,

both jones photos are from the 1996 WS. it is clear that jones had 2 jerseys with 2 different fonts during the '96 WS. i don't believe the home photo is clear enough to make a statement regarding the presence (or lack thereof) of a nameplate.

you'll note that not only did jones receive jerseys with 2 different fonts but in the other photos of the team, there are other players on the field wearing 2 different fonts at the same time. clearly the braves were having some font issues in 1996.

rudy.

kingjammy24
03-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Rudy,

mark

it's not simply the letter "A" that's off. one of the nobs is vertically arched and the other isn't. big difference. as well, the nob is not vertically arched is noticeably thicker. all in all, 2 completely different fonts.

rudy.

markize
03-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Rudy,

you are correct, as the arch is very pronounced on the away jersey compared to the home white. as far as the Jones nameplate on the home white, you are correct again.....it is difficult to tell if a nameplate is present. i downloaded the picture, and it didnt appear to have one, but as you said, it isnt clear. it does, however, look like the "smith" jersey does have a nameplate. all in all, they did have some font issues!

mark

lund6771
03-10-2009, 08:58 PM
on a different note....where can you get a jersey "worn" by one of the greatest QB's of all time for a starting bid of $250????!!!!!

this place is a dumping ground

http://www.vintageauthentics.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=103135540&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=103482250

trsent
03-10-2009, 09:49 PM
on a different note....where can you get a jersey "worn" by one of the greatest QB's of all time for a starting bid of $250????!!!!!

this place is a dumping ground

http://www.vintageauthentics.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=103135540&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=103482250

Pete, isn't the tag on the jersey a store tag? From the Vintage Authentic Web Site:

Home red Wilson ProLine Kansas City Chiefs jersey used by HOF quarterback Joe Montana during his 1994 NFL season - the league's 75th Anniversary as well. The gamer features all sewn 2-color identifiers including body and sleeve numerals and correct NOB. Also included are two beautiful patches in proper position including the NFL's 75th year patch on the left chest and KC's 35 year anniversary as the Chiefs. It is appropriately tagged on outer tail with Wilson ProLine wash label flagged for size 44 ID. Overall this quality last season HOF representation exhibits light apropos superstar QB wear and earns a final authentic grade of 6.5.

lund6771
03-10-2009, 10:06 PM
yeah Joel..

and why Lucious Lou wrote a letter on this POS is beyond me....there is no excuse for this what so ever....

lund6771
03-10-2009, 10:08 PM
AND....

once again you can get 3 Kobe Bryants and a few more Lebron game used jerseys as well

complete trash

dirtyla2000
03-11-2009, 02:49 PM
I am so glad all these houses are getting outed,Vintage is yet an other example of incompetency and dishonesty!That is why its good only to collect vintage jerseys.Less chances for abuse!

suicide_squeeze
03-12-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm wetting my skirt with anticipation of winning all of these......

That's because I know you are all incorrect.

These jerseys are absolute pieces of historic GOLD.

I will turn around, and dump them on ebay......and make a MINT!

Not really.

Simply pathetic.

suicide_squeeze
03-12-2009, 09:25 AM
I haven't bid on their auctions before but in the past, I have regretted not doing so. I know Lou Lampson works with them but the new auction has like 6 Atlanta Braves jerseys with World Series Patches (Including a Chipper from 1996 which I'd love to own)

Are they reliable and trustworthy or am I throwing away money bidding with them? Specifically:
http://www.vintageauthentics.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=103131359&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=103478069

Maybe Kyle can chime in on this one but I don't think the lettering looks right for "Braves" or "Jones" I also see on getty images that he wore both "Jones" and "C. Jones" in the playoffs but game 3 of the 1996 W.S. was Andruw's 2 hr game and I think he had C. Jones during the W.S.

Opinions?

It should take anyone.....oh.....I don't know.......POINT-8 SECONDS to identify the "N" in Jones on the NOB as a letter that is cut for the end of a longer name.

Look at it......it is angled to be placed to the right or end of a name. As a letter placed in the middle of the name, it should appear "level", with no slope.

This stuff is so bad, it's insulting to even a novice.

But this shows us all JUST how desperate some people get when shopping for items of their sports star favorites. It will sell.....and that's sad.

ryantex
03-23-2009, 05:32 PM
I can definitively end the argument here. I follow all Chipper jerseys, and I have an extensive DVD collection of old games.

The jersey is a fake. I already checked the 96 World Series footage carefully (all 3 home games), and it is a fake. The nameplate is completely off, and the 'Braves' on the front of the jersey is off as well. Someone is going to waste a lot of money on some very expensive laundry.

Who knows...maybe this was a game-issued jersey that he didn't actually wear, but who cares?? He never wore it in a World Series game, and that's what this auction implies.

End of story.