PDA

View Full Version : How Bad Is Steiner Going To Get?

ryant7
03-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Look at this auction on E-Bay it states game used bat with steiner coa it just gets better and better everyday.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTOR-DIAZ-Game-Used-Worn-New-York-METS-Bat-STEINER_W0QQitemZ200317158022QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item200317158022&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A0|293%3A7|294%3A50 (http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTOR-DIAZ-Game-Used-Worn-New-York-METS-Bat-STEINER_W0QQitemZ200317158022QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item200317158022&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A7%7C294%3A50)

Vintagedeputy
03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
I dont see what the issue is?

TriplexXxSports
03-10-2009, 04:30 PM
I asked the seller to provide a photo of the LOA. I'm interested in the verbage(sp?) of it.

However, with Steiner's reputation, I would have a hard time thinking they would authenticate a bogus bat.

ryant7
03-10-2009, 04:42 PM
I dont see what the issue is?

The bat is taped up for bp use and has never had the tape removed this bat was never used in a game

yanks12025
03-10-2009, 04:52 PM
How do you know he did not use it in a game and then switched it into a BP bat. And the seller is a forum member here.

Vintagedeputy
03-10-2009, 06:11 PM
players dont tape up bats so that they can use them just for bp. They use bats in games or in bp and tape them after they develop a crack so that they can continue to use them for bp. There's a difference. The bat has the correct uni number on the knob and I see nothing that indicates it isnt what the seller claims. Be careful what you claim isnt legit until you know all the details. Also, MLB considers anything used in bp to be game used, so for Steiner to say that, it isnt a stretch.

Vintagedeputy
03-10-2009, 06:14 PM
ryant - forgot to add this. I see that you have been here about a month. The seller, as was mentioned is a well known forum member here. You may want to sit back a while and soak in the atmosphere before making claims...

I'm just sayin'.....

TriplexXxSports
03-10-2009, 07:35 PM
The seller added the pics of the COA on the auction. Looks good to me. I think that just about wraps this one up.

ryant7
03-10-2009, 09:46 PM
just one more thing before you shun me a bat usually doesnt develop cracks on the barrel unless heavily used (hence bp time) i could see maybe used in a couple games but this bat has way more use than a gamer if the back of the barrel is cracked or as the players call it deadwood or flaking that is the reason for taping so that the bat can be used even more in bp and they do not have to get another bat out to use for bp and why does it matter if his uniform number is on it of course it would be its his bat he has his numbers on it so it is easily identifible for him and also it is a stretch for the mlb or steiner for that matter to say something is game used if it was used in bp i know a few players that had gloves specifically for bp that they would not use in a game so how could some items be sold as game used ? im not saying its not legit im just saying it looks like a bp bat and the steiner certificate is misleading that is all.

jppopma
03-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Ryan,

I think the point people were trying to make it that many players will use their older (sometimes with minor cracks) bats for BP. I'm not sure how many players do this compared to some that may have a special BP only bat. If this is the case, the fact that it was used for BP by the player after being game used previously should not deter from it. A similar arguement could be made for hand me down jerseys. If its worn by MLB player A and then minor leaguer B, C, and D....it is still a game used jersey by MLB player A regardless.

Hopefully you are not going to get shunned too bad, we all make mistakes.

John

nyjetsfan14
03-10-2009, 09:53 PM
just one more thing before you shun me a bat usually doesnt develop cracks on the barrel unless heavily used (hence bp time) i could see maybe used in a couple games but this bat has way more use than a gamer if the back of the barrel is cracked or as the players call it deadwood or flaking that is the reason for taping so that the bat can be used even more in bp and they do not have to get another bat out to use for bp and why does it matter if his uniform number is on it of course it would be its his bat he has his numbers on it so it is easily identifible for him and also it is a stretch for the mlb or steiner for that matter to say something is game used if it was used in bp i know a few players that had gloves specifically for bp that they would not use in a game so how could some items be sold as game used ? im not saying its not legit im just saying it looks like a bp bat and the steiner certificate is misleading that is all.

Can you say run-on sentence?

ryant7
03-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Can you say run-on sentence?

why does it matter this isnt grammar class i was just speaking my mind im not dogging or harassing anyone and im not saying the person selling the bat is illegitimate i was just implying the coa is stretching the truth a little. and as far as hand me downs you are saying that a derek jeter bat is used during bp once during a game then given to a columbus clipper to use and he beats the heck out of during bp it is still a game used derek jeter bat?

jppopma
03-10-2009, 10:04 PM
as far as hand me downs you are saying that a derek jeter bat is used during bp once during a game then given to a columbus clipper to use and he beats the heck out of during bp it is still a game used derek jeter bat?

I was referrring more to jersyes with the hand me down comment. But if it starts out as BP only then thats all it ever is. But if its game used to begin with, and somehow another players gets his hands on it and uses it for himself in a game or BP or whatever..yes, its still game used because it was used by Jeter in a game. The trick to that as well as anything else is in the proof or evidence that can be brought to support it.

ryant7
03-10-2009, 10:13 PM
The one thing i am getting at is there is a thin line between batting practice and game used i know at slugger field for the 2 years i worked there after every bp the bases where pulled up and the field was gone over and the game bases where put in 2 totally separate sets of bases steiner is pushing it and mlb is for that matter when they say something like game used on something like a bp jersey or a warmup pullover even on there site right now they have "game-used" cage shirts like a pullover that would be used in batting cage i would like for someone to explain to me how that would be game used it was never worn in a game ....... but clearly states game used ......... enlighten me

Vintagedeputy
03-10-2009, 11:26 PM
i would like for someone to explain to me how that would be game used it was never worn in a game ....... but clearly states game used ......... enlighten me

Simple - because MLB standards say that anything used in bp IS game used. They use that for their auctions, so Steiner et all are just following along.

mbrieve
03-11-2009, 07:54 AM
The one thing i am getting at is there is a thin line between batting practice and game used i know at slugger field for the 2 years i worked there after every bp the bases where pulled up and the field was gone over and the game bases where put in 2 totally separate sets of bases steiner is pushing it and mlb is for that matter when they say something like game used on something like a bp jersey or a warmup pullover even on there site right now they have "game-used" cage shirts like a pullover that would be used in batting cage i would like for someone to explain to me how that would be game used it was never worn in a game ....... but clearly states game used ......... enlighten me
Please, it is killing me. Just a little punctuation!

TFig27
03-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Yay! This is my bat for sale.

There is a slight crack on the back barrel that starts underneath the tape. So, there is a possibility it was used in a game, then taped up to hit some BP balls. Obviously, there is no way to know.

The "official" definition includes BP bats as "game used". But, I want my buyers to be informed and understand what they are getting. They have to make the determination of whether they want a taped barrel or not. I think the selling price will reflect one with a taped barrel and not a game used bat.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me.

Thanks
Tom

TFig27@aol.com

ryant7
03-11-2009, 12:00 PM

There is a slight crack on the back barrel that starts underneath the tape. So, there is a possibility it was used in a game, then taped up to hit some BP balls. Obviously, there is no way to know.

The "official" definition includes BP bats as "game used". But, I want my buyers to be informed and understand what they are getting. They have to make the determination of whether they want a taped barrel or not. I think the selling price will reflect one with a taped barrel and not a game used bat.

Thanks
Tom

TFig27@aol.com

The start of this thread was not to belittle you. It was in reference to steiner throwing a "game-used" coa at a bat that appears used during batting practice

Yankwood
03-11-2009, 12:24 PM
I think the batting practice "game used" moniker is something that has evolved over the past 20 years or so.
In the 1970's and 1980's, there was a strict demarcation between the two and the price asked and payed was very different. Some collectors, myself for instance, had no problem with collecting batting practice bats, as long as it was differentiated from actual games by a price difference. It also depended on who the player was. I'm sure nobody here would balk if they had an opportunity to buy a Mickey Mantle batting practice bat at a fraction of the game bat price, say $150, for instance.
I currently own a muffin tin that Julia Child used in cooking school and though I would have liked an actual "dinner used" tin, it is still an important part of my Famous Chef's" collection.
In other words, it is common practice to bastardize the term "game used" these days and now becoming widely accepted..
TFig, as I can vouch for, is a very upfront trader, buyer and seller and I would deal with him again in an instant. This is the word of Yankwood.

matt
03-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I'd like to pause and welcome Ryan to the forum. As a former batboy, I value his thoughts regardless of grammar. I too was shocked years ago that the "GU" term is commonly applied to BP items, but that is the reality. However, I have never found a Steiner bat (I have bought probably 30 of them) that was not either MLB holo'ed, photomatchable, or consistent with gamer specs (i.e. use on the correct side of the barrel and not trashed or taped).

I think Steiner tries to make GU mean GU and they note which jerseys are BP and which bases are BP or bullpen. However, with the huge volume of stuff they get sent over unlabelled in boxes, I can beleive mistakes are often made. Still, a Steiner or MLB holo (which can get attributed to the wrong player on a bat!) is the best indication I have found of actual game use. I have photomatched the vast majority of them.

Welcome Ryan.

Matt

YankeeChowda
03-11-2009, 06:02 PM
I like to chip in on this... I mean, it seems like all the cool kids are doing it. But come on, look at the price.... 99 cents.... 4 gumballs worth with an extra penny to put in the jimmy fund collection. I can see you whining over this if the price was say.. 200 bucks... but 99 cents.. come on.. I would like to quote an ancient chinese proverb "Man who walk through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok"...wait wrong one, "Think before you speak", and also i'll toss in "Children are meant to be seen and not heard".
Represent.
Jim

JETEFAN
03-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Simple - because MLB standards say that anything used in bp IS game used. They use that for their auctions, so Steiner et all are just following along.

That would mean that MLB, Steiner and whom ever else uses this "standard" and is "following along" figuered out that marketing wise the term "game used" on the LOA is a great tool. My guess would be that they have no clue at all as to who, what, where and when the bat was used. It's wrong no matter how you look at it. It's either used in a game or used in BP, simple, if you have no clue, and they don't, then what it was last used for or what looks obvious should prevail.. Arod has been ripped for years and rightly so, probably from people defending MLB and Steiner for putting "game used" on everything, (BP etc.) That being said Steiner has made quite a hefty living with useless letters that offer little to no and many times wrong information. (Refer to countless past posts regarding incorrect letters). To answer the question, been bad getting worse....

George

flaco1801
03-11-2009, 08:14 PM
i never knew a major leaguer would tape a broken bat to use later in bp, i think its absurd.........

Vintagedeputy
03-11-2009, 08:22 PM
i never knew a major leaguer would tape a broken bat to use later in bp, i think its absurd.........

been happening for years....

ryant7
03-11-2009, 09:36 PM
I'd like to pause and welcome Ryan to the forum. As a former batboy, I value his thoughts regardless of grammar. I too was shocked years ago that the "GU" term is commonly applied to BP items, but that is the reality. However, I have never found a Steiner bat (I have bought probably 30 of them) that was not either MLB holo'ed, photomatchable, or consistent with gamer specs (i.e. use on the correct side of the barrel and not trashed or taped).

I think Steiner tries to make GU mean GU and they note which jerseys are BP and which bases are BP or bullpen. However, with the huge volume of stuff they get sent over unlabelled in boxes, I can beleive mistakes are often made. Still, a Steiner or MLB holo (which can get attributed to the wrong player on a bat!) is the best indication I have found of actual game use. I have photomatched the vast majority of them.

Welcome Ryan.

Matt

Thank you for the welcome Matt!

ryant7
03-11-2009, 09:37 PM
That would mean that MLB, Steiner and whom ever else uses this "standard" and is "following along" figuered out that marketing wise the term "game used" on the LOA is a great tool. My guess would be that they have no clue at all as to who, what, where and when the bat was used. It's wrong no matter how you look at it. It's either used in a game or used in BP, simple, if you have no clue, and they don't, then what it was last used for or what looks obvious should prevail.. Arod has been ripped for years and rightly so, probably from people defending MLB and Steiner for putting "game used" on everything, (BP etc.) That being said Steiner has made quite a hefty living with useless letters that offer little to no and many times wrong information. (Refer to countless past posts regarding incorrect letters). To answer the question, been bad getting worse....

George

Finally someone agrees with me thank you for your input George!

suicide_squeeze
03-11-2009, 11:16 PM
How do you know he did not use it in a game and then switched it into a BP bat. And the seller is a forum member here.

You mean.......1986&2004Bosox is selling this bat?:p

allstarsplus
03-11-2009, 11:22 PM

100% correct. The only addition is if the seller knows it was used only in BP then it is always nice to mention that.

suicide_squeeze
03-11-2009, 11:30 PM

Thanks
Tom

TFig27@aol.com

Tom,

It is what it is. I don't think ANYONE here is in any way questioning your ethics, your auction technique, or how the bat is being presented.

I am troubled with MLB's definition of "game used". Steiner, as has been mentioned, is just following suite. And that is troubling too, as the ryant7 has eluded to in his starting this thread.

It's all in the perception. Proof.....is the responsibility of the buyer. If all that convinces you of actual game use is a picture match, it being handed over by the player, or an inscription by the player on the bat with unquestionable provenance......just move along to the next item and leave this one be. And quite frankly, I'm not saying that's a bad thing......it's what I want in MY items?

Peace fellow collectors....

Steve

TFig27
03-12-2009, 09:42 PM
I appreciate all the kind words! :D

The bat sold tonight for $12.50.