PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with theories: dirt on NFL turf shoes

Jags Fan Dan
03-15-2009, 05:55 PM
I just got some Mark Brunell game used turf shoes from the 1995 season. Again, these are turf shoes, not cleats. Both are autographed and they style match to what he wore, size is correct and the autographs are authentic. What puzzles me is there is quite a bit of mud/dirt in the treads. I'm not sure how it would have gotten there. Here are some thoughts of my own, then I'd love to hear any of yours:

1. Possible game played in a stadium with artificial turf that also had a baseball diamond on it (dirt from the diamond)? They played games in Pittsburgh, Houston, Cincinnati, maybe at the time there was some dirt on the fields somewhere?

2. He wore turf shoes on a grass surface? I don't think so. I could not find any photos of him wearing turf shoes on grass in 1995.

3. They were worn in practice. However, I think the Jags have always practiced outdoors and he would have been wearing cleats in practice.

Fire away if you have any thoughts on this. I will attach some photos of the shoes soon.

Jags Fan Dan
03-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Photos as promised:

mvandor
03-16-2009, 08:37 AM
I had the same issue with a pair of Jerry Rice turf shoes I owned (and have since sold and can now be found on ebay at a much higher price).

In my case my best theory was perhaps Rice may have worn them during his famous personal hill runs rather than tennis shoes. As they were sourced indirectly through SFCC (49ers donated old equipment to them) there was also the possibility some SFCC player wore them for running on their track as the dirt was red like track dirt.

Perhaps you could look at his team's schedule for the year the shoes were attributed to and see what turf fields he may have played on and whether there are any dirt areas on those fields which might explain the dirt.

Did you get them from the NFL directly?

lon lewis
03-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Jags fan Dan and mvandor, The Rice turf shoes may have a much more simple explanation as the 49ers practice facility has both natural turf and synthetic fields. Unless those shoes have an over abundance of dirt and caked on mud, there you go. However if those shoes were used at City College, who knows? For Jags fan Dan, if the Jags have the same or a similar set up, (and most teams do) that may be your answer.

suave1477
03-17-2009, 06:47 PM
I think it ight even be something more simple then all these reasons.

Maybe after practice he didnt take them off and wore them outside for a little while.
(Meaning after practice he ran out to his car to get something or do something outside of the actual field and there was dirt and he stepped in it)

Just a thought

Jags Fan Dan
03-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Those are all good theories and I appreciate the help. I don't know what the Jaguars practice facillity is like or was like in 1995. Not sure where to even begin checking that out?

lon lewis
03-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Dan, If you have one available, you may want to check out a media guide for the year in question. Some teams media guides carry info on their practice facilities in the guide. In the case of the teams that I've seen, it's usually located near the front or all the way at the end.

Jags Fan Dan
03-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Well, I just bought the 1995 media guide, so when it shows up in the mail I'll see if it tells me anything.

David
03-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I would think a player would wear the shoes at least a short while before the game, to make sure they feel okay and perhaps break them in. So I doubt turf shoes were worn only on the turf field.

That is a lot of dirt and mud, though.

NEFAN
03-22-2009, 05:45 PM
If they are playing on a really frozen field, they might where turf shoes also. They would be spots on the field that would melt during the course of a game, especially on the sidelines near those heated benches and blowers.

Jags Fan Dan
03-24-2009, 05:50 PM
If they are playing on a really frozen field, they might where turf shoes also. They would be spots on the field that would melt during the course of a game, especially on the sidelines near those heated benches and blowers.
Now that is an interesting theory, as are all presented. It is hard to tell in some photos ih he is wearing turf shoes or cleats, as they were both Reebok and both identically marked that year.