PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Cubs Garbage Sale

trsent
04-23-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm sure someone found something worthwhile to buy last Saturday morning, but I was happy to be a White Sox fan since 1977 after attending the shambles at Wrigley Field Saturday morning.

First, the advertised "Garage Sale" had two entrances. Opening at 8AM, I arrived at 7:50AM to find a long line outside both entrances. When I entered at 8:10AM (not so bad for such a long line) I found the first sales room was crowded and led outside to a tent selling t-shirts and other discounted crap. The problem was there was no room to walk in the original room, and the gentleman in a wheelchair was having a hard time maneuvering out of the room until we assisted by stopping the crowd for a minute.

The second room was the central entrance which had game used items in it. After a 20 minute line, we found minor league jerseys priced starting at $200.00 each (not a player I have ever heard of) and then we found the big league jersey pile, which consisted of about 40 Jerome Williams game used jerseys from 2005 and about 260 other jerseys to finger through. Most prices were $200 and up, but I decided against a Ryan Dempster for $250.00 or a Billy Williams batting practice jersey for $200.00.

The team signed baseballs for $150.00 were not worth it, and the flags that fly above the field cannot be all that great since I saw about 10 Marlins flags in the pile of flags.

I did see people walking out with spikes, so I assume there was some cool stuff to the first in line, who must have lined up around 3AM or so. I may have bought a few items, but I noticed the line to pay at the hot dog stand was around 150 people long, just not worth waiting over an hour to pay for anything they were selling.

Now, my buddy arrived just after 10AM, and he told me they were discounting jerseys, as he bought a few minor stars for $100.00 each. Nice sale, charge those who arrived at the start full price, and discount for the late arrivers.

I wasn't interested in bricks or bleacher chairs, but they had some silly system where you had to pick out your item in the outfield, then wait in a line about 300 people long to pay and then go to a car wash across the street to pick up your item. I was very confused.

The game used jerseys I believe were being sold only with a MLB hologram on the number. I assume you could look your item up on the internet to verify what it was.

Eric
04-23-2006, 11:05 PM
At $200, Wrigley's home plate a steal for fans

chicago sun-times

April 23, 2006

BY DAVE NEWBART Staff Reporter

Thousands of Cubs fans walked away with a piece -- or pieces -- of history Saturday.

In what was dubbed a huge garage sale at Wrigley Field, the team sold 10,000 to 15,000 bricks and 2,200 seats from the old bleachers that were torn down in an offseason expansion.

Greg Romano, 35, of Wrigleyville, bought five seats at $10 a pop, eight bricks for $25 each and 10 of the brackets that held the seats for $10 each.

"Father's Day presents," he said.

The team also sold game-worn jerseys, old banners and flags that once flew over Wrigley, and other memorabilia.

Steven Kroll, 37, of Countryside, paid $200 for the home plate used on Opening Day 2002. A pair of pants worn in a game by former Cubs first baseman Mark Grace sold for $50. Jerseys worn by Aramis Ramirez, Billy Williams and Ryan Dempster went for $250 each.

Other items were clearly not as popular. A rack of White Sox hats from the 2003 All-Star game played across town went for a $1 each. T-shirts from the Cubs-Florida Marlins 2003 National League Championship Series -- during which the infamous Bartman game was played -- went for $2.

Worth an estimated $200,000

And then there was a box of balls autographed by pitcher Ismael Valdez, who played all of 12 games with the Cubs in 2000. He had a 2-4 record and a 5.37 earned run average. Three hours into the sale, the price had been marked down from $20 each to just $6.

"No one seems to know who he is," said Debbie Johnson, a volunteer working at the sale.

Nevertheless, one fan grabbed a ball and quipped, "Maybe he will be popular one day."

A Cubs official said he had not yet tallied how much of the estimated $200,000 worth of merchandise had been sold. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to charity.