PDA

View Full Version : OT - I'm Joining a softball team - NEED HELP!!

suave1477
03-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Hey guys so some friends of mine who are in a big softball league here in New York asked me to join them. I said ok.

I know I am datingmyself but I havent played softball in years and I do mean years, since the local toy store sold regular thick aluminium bats. lol lol:D

So for my first time back on to the field (in years) I do not want to make a complete fool of myself.

I would like to buy the best possible equipment to help me look like I have an idea of how to hit a ball, but I do not want to spend mega millions either on an item get out of it the same thing I can get out of an average softball bat.

Here is the League - high arch soft ball - metal bats (not wood)
They also mentioned to me to buy cleats but metal isnt necessary.

So here is what I am asking whats the best Bat to use? and plastic cleats to wear?

I was looking at some bats and so far I heard these are some of the best.
Easton Brett Helmer reveal srv2 bat
Worth Gold Est5

Are these the best out there? They seem expenisive!! Are there ones that are just as good but cheaper?

So whats the best bats?
Whats the best cleats?

Any help is appreciated?

mvandor
03-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Hmm, never used my own personal bat in softball league, just glove. Always just grabbed an available bat I liked. Had my own glove but that was it.

mbrieve
03-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Hmm, never used my own personal bat in softball league, just glove. Always just grabbed an available bat I liked. Had my own glove but that was it.
I was going to chime in with the same sentiment. If you are just starting back up, unless it is a prerequisite, I would try to use a team bat or borrow a buddies for your at bats.

As for cleats, my league doesn't allow metal, and you can usually find decent plastic molded cleats for under $60.

Hope this helps!

Vintagedeputy
03-18-2009, 01:34 PM
If you think buying some high dollar bat is going to make you look like you know what you are doing, then you are fooling yourself.

Get a bat at Good Will and go to the batting cages. A good player can hit with anything.

yanks12025
03-18-2009, 01:38 PM
When i play i use the Miken Freak. They are really good and can add some power into your swing.

mdube16
03-18-2009, 01:43 PM
The bats in softball make a HUGE difference. Even if you havent played in a long time, if you use a new Mikin, worth or demarini you will be amazed at how the ball jumps off the bat. Make sure that what you buy is legal...there have been changes recently to the rules. It will run you around $200 for a new high quality bat.

bigtime59
03-18-2009, 02:45 PM
First, check your league's list of BANNED BATS! No sense buying something you 1) can't use and 2) can't return.
Second, what kind of fields do you play on, and what position do you play? As someone who hasn't ventured onto the outfield grass in years, I generally wear turf shoes unless the infield is very soft (and here in Arlington County, they rarely are!).

suave1477
03-18-2009, 02:56 PM
First, check your league's list of BANNED BATS! No sense buying something you 1) can't use and 2) can't return.
Second, what kind of fields do you play on, and what position do you play? As someone who hasn't ventured onto the outfield grass in years, I generally wear turf shoes unless the infield is very soft (and here in Arlington County, they rarely are!).

I would like to say thanks to everyone and if anyone else has anything more to add please do as I am still learning. Seems Softball has come a long way since my days of neighborhood Vs. neighborhood.

Bigtime good idea, I didn't know there were banned bats. I will ask.
They play on grass fields.
I play outfield.

I just learned the reason they don't use metal cleats is because they been banned.

Billyu40
03-18-2009, 08:53 PM
suave1477,

The bat really depends on the league affiliation. There are 3 basic associations in slow pitch softball, ASA, USSSA and NSA. USSSA and NSA use the basically the same bats. ASA has its own rules and bats. The difference between the bats is huge. USSSA and NSA bat allow the ball to come off the bat at 100 mph+ where as the ASA limits are 98 mph and under. There is alot more to the ASA bats than that, but I wont go into that unless thats the league you are in. The association also dictates the arch on the ball.

If you are playing ASA the best bat is probably the Freak 98 or the "Orange" Worth Mayhem. I would stay away from the Easton Reveal. If you are playing NSA/USSSA the bat is really up to you and how you like the feel and how much you are going to be playing, endloaded vs. balanced and the tempature you are playing in. Let me know what kind of league and Id be happy to give you my recommendations.

As far as cleats, personally I use the Nike MVP cleats that I custom ordered from Nike ID. They do make them without having to customize them if you dont want to spend that kind of money.

I hope this helps.

DrJ
03-18-2009, 09:21 PM
One more word of caution before you start playing - read up on the rules, it ain't baseball. I learned that the hard way when I rounded 3rd and crushed the catcher on a play at the plate. I was called out (even though him and the ball each flew 10 feet in opposite directions). The whole other team was wanting to charge me :) I think the fellows wife was the most pissed!!!

Those were the good ol' days - I loved beating the Stormtroopers, they were a team of TX Dept of Highway Patrol Officers and since we were all about college age they had probably given half of us tickets in the past - hee hee hee....

And yes, we won the championship!!!

Rob L
03-18-2009, 09:32 PM
I would agree with checking to see what bats are banned by your league. If there aren't any, pick up a DeMarini double-walled bat. This bat is a real crusher.

wahboom22
03-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Sauve,

Bats in slowpitch do make a huge difference(but so does your swing).........I currently am swinging a DeMarini Juggernaut and a Miken T22C6 Titanium. I agree with previous post the that the Worth Mayhem is a great bat.......i broke mine into 2 pieces at the end of the last year and am waiting to replace it.
The Worth Resmondo is a hot bat and the regular Worth Mutant and DiMarini Dxone are both great......your going to spend around 200-250 retail(alittle less on ebay) for a quality bat.

Cleats depend on what you like.......no metal cleats.......at least in any leagues or tournys i play in. and you dont have to spend a ton on cleats, you can pick up a nice pair of plastic cleats for 60 bucks since you are playing in a rec-league they will last along time.

I love the guys that "dress-up" to go play......all brand new stuff........wristbands, new glove, shoes, and bats but cant hit or field. SO PLEASE HAVE FUN AND DONT TAKE YOURSELF TO SERIOUS!!!!!

jonincleve
03-19-2009, 07:38 AM
worth guy myself. i would show up and see what everybody else is doing/using and go from there. enjoy

take care
john

BergerKing22784
03-19-2009, 12:27 PM
I have little upper body strength but I've put some balls outta the park with a Synergy bat.

TigerSteve
03-19-2009, 10:26 PM
^ Agreed. I'm 5'5 135 pounds and can hit a ball like a beast with a Easton Synergy. I don't take it too seriously but I wanted to have a good bat I could use for quite a few years for myself. My advice would be to use a "team" or someone elses bat for a season and see how it's going. Just make sure the things not dead or you will think you crushed a ball only to find it made its way all the way to the pitcher.

suave1477
03-21-2009, 10:12 AM
I would like to thank everyone who gave there input.

Here is what I decided so far I picked up.

Rawlings all black Gold Glove outfielders fielding glove
Mizuno Techfire g2 batting gloves
Nike Air Zoom cleats

I am still deciding on a bat. Our first practice is Sunday so i think im going to check out what everyone else has, try some out and get a feel for what I like.

gingi79
03-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Suave,

As a guy who joined my companies Softball team after a layoff of less than 5 years from playing regularly, may I suggest LOTS of stretching and batting cage time!

I realized 3 years later that I had a cyst behind my knee (the same kind that Peyton Manning had removed and contributed to tearing his ACL) after playing 2nd base in one game and hobbling for 3 weeks after.

I now play all summer long as a Teen Counselor at a Day Camp but I stretch all the time just to swing and run and I'm about to turn 30.

In short, any bat and glove looks great during the game but until I started stretching for 20 minutes a day and hit the cages daily, I was sore and looked like the fat kid in dodgeball for days after!

(Now that I have spilled my guys about painful fat guy memories, I'm going to hit the exercise bike for 30 minutes :))

Good Luck