PDA

View Full Version : The Value of an "Expo" Show...

Larry Pelliccioni
03-19-2009, 08:20 AM
For those of you who don't know, several years ago, hockey uniform collectors began to gather in cities for "Expo", or mini shows in which they could discuss, buy, sell or trade primarily their area of interest which is hockey jerseys.
There would be a hotel ballroom near an airport saving the expense of renting a car to those flying in, prominent dealers would set up and collectors would come from far and wide.
While originally I was just a member of a committee I have since taken over the co-promoting of the Detroit show.
We have been doing it for over 8 years and each year seems to get better and better. Ted Lindsay, Shawn Burr and Gordie Howe have been guests at our show.
But the value of these shows are the people that make up this hobby and the items that get exchanged at these events.
My recent highlight at a show in Virginia was the acquisition of a Nook Logan Washington Nationals home jersey, red alternate jersey and throwback hat thanks in large measure to a great friend Andrew Lang.
I also was able to make contact with another gentleman which led me to the acquisition of something I have wanted almost from the day I got into this hobby over 35 years ago, a road Washington Senators from 1959 with the Mr. Senator patch on the sleeve. Thank you Mr. SDT, I have yet to put that one in the closet!
I know there is a congregation of folks who regularly make the National and several years ago I was fortunate enough to meet Mike, Chris and all of the good folks that are responsible for this board.
I feel this upcoming show in October and November may be time to expand our little hockey show to all sports however I must caution you, the value of these things are truly in the friendships you will make, not the items you will transact.
Anyway, if you think you might be interested in setting up to show your collection of sports uniforms I will be glad to mail you details when the time comes and hope that you might consider coming and supporting same.
I myself, do not confine myself to one sport and take pride in having an extensive baseball, football, basketball and hockey collection as well as over 500 movie worn items.
Long after my responsibility and custody of them end, the best thing I can say that I have gained as a result of them were these shows and the friends that come.
Larry Pelliccioni

MarinersFan34
03-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Good stuff Larry. I always here good things about those expos and see the photos on the hockey forum and all the amazing pieces you can see in person. The only thing is, is that they all seem to be on the east coast. Are there more passionate collectors over on the east coast?

I kinda recall that there was one in Vancouver, BC. but of course I think it was also mainly if not all Hockey. Not that I mind as I love Hockey I'd also like to see other sports mixed in as well and well, more representation from the west coast. I'd love to see some of the stuff MeiGray has or even other collectors. Although I think it'd be the same here if there was an expo, we'd lose alot/most of the eastern collectors as transportation is much more.

gingi79
03-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Good stuff Larry. I always here good things about those expos and see the photos on the hockey forum and all the amazing pieces you can see in person. The only thing is, is that they all seem to be on the east coast. Are there more passionate collectors over on the east coast?

I kinda recall that there was one in Vancouver, BC. but of course I think it was also mainly if not all Hockey.

Damn East Coast Bias strikes again! I agree that back here in the east, we have a much larger number of conventions and expos. Toronto has one, Boston has one, Ohio, D.C., Virginia, Florida and of course MeiGray in NJ.

I would love to find a way to have a huge convention where the whole world got together. There are huge fans with amazing collections on the East Coast, West Coast, Europe, Asia and Africa that I have scene pieces of on numerous boards. I am also a fan of Larry's and I think getting to talk with him would be greatly informative. I'm still amazed that Barry Meisel knows who I am and takes time to talk to me at the convention. There are quite a few people on this board I'd love to grab some beers with at a convention (except you Kyle, you have to wait until you are old enough :D)

It would be great if we could all find a way to get to Detroit for the convention that Larry is planning. I think a huge group picture would be great so I could look at certain people when they type something stupid......:p

As a substitute teacher who hopes to get a full time gig for the Fall it is highly doubtful I will be able to attend. I will try to do my best however and I hope to see everyone who can make it to the July MeiGray expo which I will be attending (and hopefully setting up a collector table. Come by and say hi! I'd love to meet ya!)

allstarsplus
03-20-2009, 04:04 PM
The Washington DC Expo held near Dulles Airport had some amazing displays and some great people and deals. Larry is a class person on top of the stack!!!!

What I don't like about most shows is they are mostly card and autograph shows and the Expo was all about game used items which was great.

I think the tough economy is going to hurt many of these shows especially with so many dealers going out of business.

The other negative about shows is you are sometimes buying on blind faith as you don't have all your research tools to check an item well so having top dealers like at this Expo is a plus too.

markize
03-20-2009, 05:31 PM
The Washington DC Expo held near Dulles Airport had some amazing displays and some great people and deals. Larry is a class person on top of the stack!!!!

What I don't like about most shows is they are mostly card and autograph shows and the Expo was all about game used items which was great.

I think the tough economy is going to hurt many of these shows especially with so many dealers going out of business.

The other negative about shows is you are sometimes buying on blind faith as you don't have all your research tools to check an item well so having top dealers like at this Expo is a plus too.

Andrew,

When is the DC show? Any idea on the dates? Thanks.

Mark

allstarsplus
03-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Andrew,

When is the DC show? Any idea on the dates? Thanks.

Mark

The show Larry was referring to was near Washington DC. Not sure if they will do another here. Maybe they should plan one the weekend of the Cubs game! ;)

markize
03-20-2009, 06:56 PM
The show Larry was referring to was near Washington DC. Not sure if they will do another here. Maybe they should plan one the weekend of the Cubs game! ;)

The weekend of the cubs series would be great, otherwise I will have to make mulitple trips!! I know there was a show in Philadelphia recently, but i wasnt able to make it. Too bad, cause Phily is only about an hour across the turnpike. I did get an email from John Taube about him being there. Anyone else make it there? Was there anything good?

Mark