PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed: Expert Opinions on Braun Gamer

stitzerfse
03-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Hoping the experts here can give me their 2 cents on this. Attached photo is of the handle of a Ryan Bruan KB1 that is being offered to me. Seller says its from 2008. I'm in no way calling the seller out, but I have never seen a tape job like this on a Braun bat. Thoughts?

mattmueller
03-20-2009, 09:17 PM
I have never seen tape on a Braun bat. However, that doesn't mean its never happened. Bats / photos I have seen typically have a great deal of mota stick at the end of the bat where this tape job is. So I wouldn't say its impossible it happened once. What type of bat is it? If its a SAM, what is the date on it? That could help try to find video/photos of it.

perlman9
03-20-2009, 10:08 PM
I also may be wrong but don't some players tape batting practice bats? I thought I remember hearing they don't crack as often with tape or something of the sort for why players tape bats for batting practice? Or maybe I just dreamed that up??

mattmueller
03-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Normally they tape the barrel end of the bat for BP purposes to limit the grain separation, and I guess eventual bat cracking. Don't think that far down the handle would do anything but help the grip.

VALAIKA COLLECTOR
03-21-2009, 02:19 PM
I just recently bought a Drew Stubbs game used bat from a company that has a contact with him. They have about 10 of his bats and only 1 had tape on the handle. I bought it because I thought it was unique that was the only one with tape on it. Kinda weird I know, but I wouldn't be discouraged in buying it because of that.

stitzerfse
03-21-2009, 02:24 PM
I feel pretty good about the honesty of the seller and am waiting on a response for pics of the inside of the barrel end (it is a Sam bat). I know some don't mind if a bat is from BP, but I would prefer to buy one used in a regular season game if I'm going to spend the bucks on a Braun. Mistakes do happen sometimes, and knowing that other Brewers tape their handles, want to make sure another player didn't pick this up and use it before it was included back with Braun's items.

I really appreciate the feedback so far. Any other opinions??? I know we have some Brewers collectors on here.

Doug

VALAIKA COLLECTOR
03-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Check out this link, it appears his bat has tape on the handle

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0926/mlb_a_braun_580.jpg

dodgersfan
03-21-2009, 03:53 PM
I think it looks like pinetar.

Rudy

chuck70
03-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Here are two possiblities based on the picture given: One is a picture of Prince in batting practice on October 1,2008 you can see a number 8 on the knob,but cant tell if the handle is taped. The other is him using one in a game on October 2,2008 kind of looks like there might be tape on the handle ,but not quite sure and the knob looks like there is a 8 written on it with a a 2 to the right of the 8. Chuck