PDA

View Full Version : $1500+ for a locker name tag

allstarsplus
03-23-2009, 10:52 PM
I thought maybe it was made of solid gold. Nope, plastic. Are you kidding me?

http://wbc.auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=103329503&prmenbr=60768104&aunbr=103676213

godwulf
03-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Anybody else bid on the 2006 WBC silver medal, sold by one of the Cuban players to a British dealer, the auction for which ended on eBay today?

I put in a snipe, but got edged out. It went for $672.09.

markize
03-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Andrew,

There is another Japan locker tag currently at $1605, and a Japan jersey at $6010. The Japanese collectors always pay top dollar. Just check the bidders lists. I saw the title of your post, I thought the same thing.....is it solid gold?

Scott (jetersbatboy), looks like you have your work cut out for you!! Good luck.

Mark

stretch
03-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Anybody else bid on the 2006 WBC silver medal, sold by one of the Cuban players to a British dealer, the auction for which ended on eBay today?

I put in a snipe, but got edged out. It went for $672.09.

Can you link us to that? I'd like to see it, thanks.

jetersbatboy
03-23-2009, 11:16 PM
I try to stay away from the MLB auctions, because of the Japanese bidders!! Those guys are nuts!! I was in a bidding war on a ball pitched to ichiro in the 7th inning of his 3000th hit game. I quiet at I think $750, not sure what it sold. It wasn't even signed!!! I'll take all the luck I can get!!! Thanks Mark

allstarsplus
03-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Andrew,

There is another Japan locker tag currently at $1605, and a Japan jersey at $6010. The Japanese collectors always pay top dollar. Just check the bidders lists. I saw the title of your post, I thought the same thing.....is it solid gold?

Scott (jetersbatboy), looks like you have your work cut out for you!! Good luck.

Mark

I am watching the WBC Finals and it is in the 8th inning between Japan and Korea and Japan leads 3-2

I love their hustle. Everyone hustles. They are all intense. They love the game. Reminds me of how it used to be when I was a kid.

Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie

schubert1970
03-23-2009, 11:36 PM
I am watching the WBC Finals and it is in the 8th inning between Japan and Korea and Japan leads 3-2

I love their hustle. Everyone hustles. They are all intense. They love the game. Reminds me of how it used to be when I was a kid.

I couldn't agree more....these fans are AWSOME!

jetersbatboy
03-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Japan wins!!!! Are my bat worth more now?:eek: It was a great game, got to love the way the Japanese play the game.

markize
03-24-2009, 06:17 AM

Andrew,

I think you forgot chevorlet. These guys pay like the kids in the little league world series. Refreshing to see guys play for the love of the game and pride in their country.

Mark

allstarsplus
03-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Andrew,

I think you forgot chevorlet. These guys pay like the kids in the little league world series. Refreshing to see guys play for the love of the game and pride in their country.

Mark

Mark - I swear to you that you read my mind. I TiVo'd the last of the 10th inning and finished watching and it was so enjoyable.

Darvish had a smile of a 12 year old. The crowd was great.

The Korean coach has some explaining to do on why they didn't walk Ichiro with 1st base open in the 10th.

Also, ESPN did a great job of the coverage.

What does Ichiro's jersey sell for now. LOL

nyjetsfan14
03-24-2009, 08:52 AM

That had to be one of the most well played, intense, suspensful, and exciting baseball games I have ever seen! Of course I was disappointed with the USA not being there but as they were constructed they just weren't as good as either of those teams last night. What a joy of a game to watch. Now if Bud Selig could only either get a clue or get fired we could get some much needed changes to this tourny to make it even better. But as it is, great job by both Korea and Japan for some seriously awesome and precise baseball...that's the way the game should be played!

godwulf
03-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Can you link us to that? I'd like to see it, thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&item=200320051015

The guy posted some really crappy photos - very blurry. Looking back, though, it looks like he deals mostly in signed photos. Probably not set up to photograph any item with three dimensions.

allstarsplus
03-24-2009, 09:14 PM
I thought maybe it was made of solid gold. Nope, plastic. Are you kidding me?

http://wbc.auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=103329503&prmenbr=60768104&aunbr=103676213

The auction ended at $1,600 for this name tag.

gnishiyama
03-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Andrew,
Just to let you know, that bidder HARASAN is to Japanese MLB Auction items
what bidder EXQUISITE is to NBA Auctions. The items he buys on MLB auctions have never resurfaced in the Japanese market so I am sure everything he wins becomes part of his extensive collection. When he wins an item its usually for something ridiculous and above and beyond any rational market value but I'm not mad. Its good for the hobby to keep the pushing the ceiling on rare 1/1 items no matter the rationale. You can make an argument
for any 1/1 item going for any amount.

Goh Nishiyama

jetersbatboy
03-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Goh,
Thanks for the insight on Harasan, that guy has never lost a auction that he gone after, as far as I know. If I see his name I just don't bid!!!:mad:
Oh well if I had his kind of funds, I guess I'd buy everthing too.:eek:

allstarsplus
03-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Andrew,
what bidder EXQUISITE is to NBA Auctions. The items he buys on MLB auctions have never resurfaced in the Japanese market so I am sure everything he wins becomes part of his extensive collection. When he wins an item its usually for something ridiculous and above and beyond any rational market value but I'm not mad. Its good for the hobby to keep the pushing the ceiling on rare 1/1 items no matter the rationale. You can make an argument

Goh Nishiyama

Goh - Thanks for the insight, but my bigger question than is was that a 1 of 1 or did they have new Locker Room Nameplates for each game in the Tournament?

I can't wait to see what Ichiro's sells for.

I also want to see Harasan's collection!!!!!!!!!!;)

suave1477
03-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Andrew,

Goh Nishiyama

I agree.

What I find funny is how in a down economy has the asian enthusiast fans have so much more money to spend on more (common) non super star players. I understand they support there own and I commend them for that.
I am just surprised it seems more like there financial funds are unlimited compared to the average american collector.

A John Doe collector might buy an AROD Bat for a couple of thousand

Meanwhile
An Asian collector will spend 4k on a Common Asian players game used sock.

Of course I am exagerrating just making a point.:rolleyes:

But it is interesting in the differences.

gnishiyama
03-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Andrew,
I don't believe those are 1/1's since it was up on MLB auctions before the semifinals even began. But I'm sure if only 1 is made available to the public
a lot of these collectors see it as a 1/1, meaning 1 of 1 available, since there's only 1 opportunity to obtain one.
I'm pretty sure if MLB was to list 3 more Johjimas we would see fair market
value since it would eliminate the usual same 2-3 bidders.

Goh Nishiyama

gnishiyama
03-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Suave,
Believe it or not Japan's economy is in a lot worse shape than ours at the
moment.
Here is how I explain things in regards to my Japanese customers since that
is where 95% of my business goes:

In Japan there are generally two types of mid/mid upper class. I won't speak of the upper class since they can afford most things.
I will preface by saying that the pay scale is higher (so is cost of living)
in most parts of Japan. Minimum wage is about the same as here but per capita I believe the average salary is (was) higher over there.

There are the married middle class with a family. Most of those people are like any other hard-working family here in the US. They pay their bills and do their best to provide for their family and can't barely afford anything else, muchless sports memorabilia. Majority of these families live off of
one income since most wives stay at home. I have very few of these customers; oftentimes I am asked to ship items to their workplace or lie (which I never do for obvious reasons) on the customs declaration forms so
his wife won't find out. Most of these guys would ask me to reserve the item for a few weeks or so while they save up enough money. That sounds like the usual collector over here. (not the lying or sending to workplace part)

The majority of my customers in Japan are single men with a good income that would normally have enough money to raise a family. These guys tend to not feel the need to buy a home or invest so them spend their disposable income on themselves for hobbies such as collecting cars, sports memorabilia, Zippos, etc.

I'm in my late 20's, born and raised here in the US, and I do not see the same type of spending habits here in the US when it comes to single men.
I'm engaged, own my property and hope to one day have a family, but even if I were single, even during good economical times, I would be saving or investing and I'm sure I speak for most. Aside from a car every 4 years or so and an occasional watch (guilty pleasure) would I spend THOUSANDS on on a hobby.

I just think there's a difference in spending habits among people in the same demographics here and in Japan.

And lastly, Japanese customers, pay a PREMIUM for great service and a peace of mind from a native dealer who is fluent in the language, hence the reason why I am able to make a living in such a small niche market. But I would like to add for everyone reading this that providing great service to
Japanese customers is NOT EASY. Different language and a different culture= nightmare. Expect to take 5 pictures of a single signed ball and pick up a magnifying glass to look for any flaws :)

I just wanted to clear it up because I think there is a misconception that
if you are a Japanese collector you have endless supply of cash.

Sorry for the long post

Goh Nishiyama

mbrieve
03-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Just curious. Do game used items from the Nippon Professional baseball league ever come to market and with the same frequency as MLB items? What commands the premium: MLB or NPB?

I don't know much about collecting Japanese baseball items, but have always been fascinated ever since Cecil Fielder joined the Detroit Tigers from the Hanshin Tigers.

gnishiyama
03-25-2009, 01:27 PM
mbrieve,
Game Used items from NPB (Nippon Baseball) does come into the market but not in the volume it does here. The prices are much lower however, when a team auctions off items for charity even the lower end players go for ridiculous amounts of money. Oftentimes these items are "shirt off the back" type of auctions where they show the player signing and holding up
the jersey. I think it goes back to what I was saying that a peace of mind
commands a premium. Also Japanese people are big on celebrity charity
auctions.

Game-used items of top players like Nomo, Ichiro, Matsuzaka, H Matsui tend to be comparable for NPB and MLB items but when it comes to autographed
items there's no comparison between the 2 when these players first cross seas. When Matsuzaka first came here to the US his balls commanded $400+ (now its more in the $150-$200 range) but in Japan his signed balls were always around $100-$125. After 2-3 years though the NPB and MLB prices tend to even off. Strangely enough Sadaharu Oh balls go for a lot more here in the US than Japan maybe because he's a good signer and theres tons of his stuff over in Japan.

Thanks
Goh Nishiyama
gnishiyama@gmail.com

suave1477
03-25-2009, 01:48 PM
mbrieve,
Game Used items from NPB (Nippon Baseball) does come into the market but not in the volume it does here. The prices are much lower however, when a team auctions off items for charity even the lower end players go for ridiculous amounts of money. Oftentimes these items are "shirt off the back" type of auctions where they show the player signing and holding up
the jersey. I think it goes back to what I was saying that a peace of mind
commands a premium. Also Japanese people are big on celebrity charity
auctions.

Game-used items of top players like Nomo, Ichiro, Matsuzaka, H Matsui tend to be comparable for NPB and MLB items but when it comes to autographed
items there's no comparison between the 2 when these players first cross seas. When Matsuzaka first came here to the US his balls commanded $400+ (now its more in the $150-$200 range) but in Japan his signed balls were always around $100-$125. After 2-3 years though the NPB and MLB prices tend to even off. Strangely enough Sadaharu Oh balls go for a lot more here in the US than Japan maybe because he's a good signer and theres tons of his stuff over in Japan.

Thanks
Goh Nishiyama
gnishiyama@gmail.com

Goh as far as the differences in prices with autographs I think it more boils down to supply and demand. Since the asian players came from the Asian countries there autographs were more accesible, then when they came to the U.S. americans and asian collectors jump all over them but after a while the novelty dies down and the true value is realized.

Sadaharu Oh I think there is more to it then him just being a good signer while I am sure he has a bigger suppply in Japan. Here in the U.S. I hardly see anything autographed by him. But then againi I am not a 100% looking but still you don't see much in your local card shop or too mauch anywhere else.

But I think the biggest reason for him having a higher selling value here is the home run record and that he is underlying home run king behind Babe Ruth

allstarsplus
03-27-2009, 06:21 PM
http://wbc.auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=103618640&prmenbr=60768104&aunbr=103965350

Harasan is High Bid on this McCann USA jersey. He is branching out!!! ;)

godwulf
03-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Several years ago, I bought an R.J. Reynolds Pirates batting helmet from a memorabilia dealer, who mentioned that he had sold a number of Reynolds items in the recent past, obtained from the player, and that one of the items was a Japanese League Gold Glove award. I would have liked to have had an opportunity to bid on that, or at least seen it.

I think that Japanese uniform items, worn by American players whose names we know, would sell very well over here, if we had access to them.

godwulf
03-27-2009, 06:33 PM
I haven't seen any WBC items yet that I really covet. If anyone sees that they've listed jerseys of Trent Oeltjen (Australia) or Augie Ojeda (Mexico), please send up a flair, 'cause those are the ones I want.

suave1477
03-27-2009, 06:45 PM
http://wbc.auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=103618640&prmenbr=60768104&aunbr=103965350

Harasan is High Bid on this McCann USA jersey. He is branching out!!! ;)

NOW THAT REALLY BITES!!!:mad:

Damn I wanted to bid on that Jersey. I got a picture of McCann when I met him wearing that Jersey!!!

suave1477
03-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Several years ago, I bought an R.J. Reynolds Pirates batting helmet from a memorabilia dealer, who mentioned that he had sold a number of Reynolds items in the recent past, obtained from the player, and that one of the items was a Japanese League Gold Glove award. I would have liked to have had an opportunity to bid on that, or at least seen it.

I think that Japanese uniform items, worn by American players whose names we know, would sell very well over here, if we had access to them.

I agree I would love to get a Game Used Jersey of Robinson Cano's dad Jose Cano. He has been pitching in Japan for many years. I think he just recently retired within the passed couple of years.

suave1477
03-27-2009, 06:53 PM
I meant Jose Cano played for Taiwan

godwulf
03-27-2009, 10:38 PM
One of my favorite players, Andy Green, played for the Nippon Ham Fighters in '07, and I'd love to get ahold of one of his jerseys from that team.