PDA

View Full Version : A good mystery...

topekabob
04-24-2006, 10:35 PM
Check out the 1981 Cubs jersey. Looks awesome to me. But who wore it? My sleuthing has only taken me so far. In 1982 #4 belonged to new manager Lee Elia, so the jersey number was changed to #3. The name "Chip" on the back makes me think that it was then used as a batboy jersey as some teams often put bat boys first names on the backs of jerseys. But, what about in 1981? Nobody was #4 on the player and manager roster, but I don't have the list of coaches. Also, isn't a size 46 awful big for a batboy? If anyone has a 1981 or 1982 Cubs program or scorecard we might be able to eliminate coaches. Any opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1981-Chicago-Cubs-Home-Jersey-GAME-USED-L-K_W0QQitemZ8801408270QQcategoryZ60597QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem

BoneRubbedBat
04-25-2006, 07:41 AM
According to Baseball by the Numbers by Mark Okkonen, #4 was utilized by Jack Hiatt in 1981, and Lee Elia in 1982-83. #3 was used by Gene Clines in 1981, and by Billy Connors in 1982-86.

Marcus

Birdbats
04-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Harry Caray joined the Cubs' broadcast team in 1982, I believe. He had a grandson named Chip, who would have been about 17 years old at that time. Maybe this was made up for Chip when Harry joined the team. Just a guess.

Jeff
http://www.birdbats.com

trsent
04-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Harry Caray joined the Cubs' broadcast team in 1982, I believe. He had a grandson named Chip, who would have been about 17 years old at that time. Maybe this was made up for Chip when Harry joined the team. Just a guess.

Jeff, that was the first thing I though last night when I read this post (and placed a bid on the jersey). Chip just recently left The Cubs and is now working for The Atlanta Braves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_Caray

http://tbs.com/stories/story/0,,44182,00.html

It was 1982 that Harry joined the Cubs, where he became a legend. I always felt Harry was at his best in his years announcing White Sox games with Jimmy Piersal, but on The North Side of Chicago he became a legend.

topekabob
04-25-2006, 11:00 PM
You guys are good. Very good! My guess is that it was worn by Hiatt in 1981 and then Connors in spring training in 1982 - hence the number change (teams often wore their previous seasons jerseys in spring training and then unveiled their new ones when the regular season opened). I looked up my 1982 Topps baseball cards and the Cubs are indeed wearing that style jersey in the spring training photos, with the sun-drenched Mesa fans in the background. Since the jerseys weren't used in 1982 (according to the Henderson guide), the Cubs probably handed them out as "gifts" to people and Chip Carey must have gotten this one. I bet Chip thinks every now and then "Darn, I can't believe I gave that girl my 1981 Cubs jersey!

Again, nice job guys.

I've had some fun discovering the past of jerseys that were re-used in spring training but originally worn by regulars. A couple of years ago I bought a 1978 KC Royals pullover off ebay with RENICK on the back for a very reasonable $100. Renick never actually played for KC but I love the style. When I put it up to the light I could easily make out SPLITTORFF on the back and his number ghosted too. I also acquired a 1973 Indians pullover with BERRY on the back (hold your breath...I bought it at a garage sale from Ken Berry himself. He lived down the street! I asked him 5 times if he was sure he wanted to sell it, he said yes, he had other things he was keeping. Can you believe ever finding a 1973 Indians pullover at a garage sale!). Anyway, Berry had used it in spring training 1975 and held up to the light you could see LAMB on the back. Ray Lamb, pitcher in 1973.
Ok, one more: I was at Phillies spring training last year and they were selling minor league jerseys in the team store for $75. I found one that had had several patches taken off it, which intrigued me, and that was my size and bought it. When I got home and took off the nameplate of the obscure minor leaguer the name MUNOZ was stitched on the jersey. Bobby Munoz of the Phillies.

Anyone else have "hold jersey up to the light" discovery stories and/or garage sale shocker stories?

suave1477
04-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Topeka my only hold up to the light story is this. I bought Darryl Strawberrys first jersey of the Yankees, It was #39. Now when darryl first joined the Yankees in 1995 they gave him #26 until 1996 when he switched to #39. With the jersey I bought, if you hold it up to the light you can see it used to have #26 stitched in and the arm band that was on it in 1995 you can see them and it was removed for 1996.

I am extremely happy about this becuz i was always hoping to find one of his #26 jerseys but to find out i actually did get it but with the #39 on it now!!!

Yankwood
04-26-2006, 09:16 AM
If only Bill Clinton had held up Monica's blue dress...........

Vintagedeputy
04-26-2006, 08:34 PM
I bought a Tom Underwood game used bat (1977-79) at an antique store for $15.

That's about it for me.

suave1477
04-26-2006, 11:29 PM
i met tom a month ago he looks nothing like what he did back then and he would probaly be able to walk right passed any of us and we would have no clue of who he was

topekabob
04-26-2006, 11:38 PM
I think the Lewinsky dress definitely qualifies as "game used" versus "game issued"

That's cool about the Strawberry jersey and the number change.

Not as exciting, but in the light genre: Bought a 1973 Cardinals road pullover for a good price because it had the name of a spring training coach on the back. Held it up to the light and the name BRADFORD had been on the back. Buddy Bradford. Not exactly Darryl Strawberry, but fun to find out. I'm amazed that so many sellers don't hold the jerseys up...maybe I'm just strange.