PDA

View Full Version : O/T - What's the DEAL w/ UDA Autograph Signings?

TriplexXxSports
03-30-2009, 06:53 AM
I know this is off topic, but I was hoping that someone might know about this.....:rolleyes:

Why is it that UDA never advertises public signings? How would one find a UDA signing that is public? Do they even have them?

I know that some players go exclusive with companies like, Schwartz/MountedMemories, but they still have public signings. When is the last time someone heard of a Tiger Wood's or Michael Jordan signing that you can get some tickets, grab some items, and go?

Has anyone ever been to a UDA signing, or have any information about how to get some of your stuff signed by UDA exclusive athelets?

Thanks In Advance

otismalibu
03-30-2009, 07:20 AM
I don't know if they do it anymore, but Upper Deck used to offer a UDA COA at some shows...right after your item was signed. I bought a Dr. J. signed Nets yearbook on eBay (from a show in VA, I think) and it came with the sticker and certificate. This was quite a few years back.

allstarsplus
03-30-2009, 08:34 AM
I know this is off topic, but I was hoping that someone might know about this.....:rolleyes:

Why is it that UDA never advertises public signings? How would one find a UDA signing that is public? Do they even have them?

I know that some players go exclusive with companies like, Schwartz/MountedMemories, but they still have public signings. When is the last time someone heard of a Tiger Wood's or Michael Jordan signing that you can get some tickets, grab some items, and go?

Has anyone ever been to a UDA signing, or have any information about how to get some of your stuff signed by UDA exclusive athelets?

Thanks In Advance

I am a UDA authorized dealer and for their higher tier dealers they try to fill in signings with "pre-approved" send-ins for Tiger, Kobe, and Michael Jordan and probably LeBron too but I haven't done much with LeBron. I have also done some exclusive signings with artwork with both MJ and Tiger.

The pre-approved process is important because they do turn down a lot of items. I know Dan C. from LA talked about how he gets Michael Jordan stuff signed at the Jordan BBall Camps which everything seems to get signed.

I remember someone on here with a great Michael Jordan golf photo. Those are the type of items that are great send-ins.

If anyone needs something signed, let me know as I would be happy to help out.

BTW, I did such a large signing with Michael Jordan that I wanted to attend and they said I couldn't.

Texans
03-30-2009, 09:30 AM
They once in awhile have public signing at there retail store in Huntington Beach. Only local players though. They had recently a couple of Lakers and Angels players. I went over there to meet Shawn Merriman of the Chargers.

http://www.upperdeckretail.com/?DCMP=BAC-PortalPage&wsta=Retail+Store

Jojo

trsent
03-30-2009, 10:05 AM
I believe the Upper Deck Authenticated Sticker and COA are accepted in the industry of autographed sports memorabilia as the best and highest authentic in the industry.

Never any controversy over any of there memorabilia since UDA states every item is autographed in the presence of an UDA employee. It is an expensive process, no one doubts that.

It would be fun to see a Michael Jordan UDA public signing, but since around 1992 when they started the branch of UDA I have never heard of anything close except from his basketball camp, which is not like a card show appearance but a bonus for campers.

Even a Tiger Woods appearance. It would be expensive, say $500.00 - $1000.00 an autograph, but I bet there would be a nice line. Everyone in line would want a photograph. :)

allstarsplus
03-30-2009, 10:29 AM
They once in awhile have public signing at there retail store in Huntington Beach. Only local players though. They had recently a couple of Lakers and Angels players. I went over there to meet Shawn Merriman of the Chargers.

http://www.upperdeckretail.com/?DCMP=BAC-PortalPage&wsta=Retail+Store

Jojo

Jojo - Thanks for the post. I didn't even know they had a Retail store.

Have you all seen that new 5 foot wide litho they did signed by Ali, Jordan and Tiger? Its $5,999 Retail. Tough sell in this market at that price but it is an amazing piece. I bought one of these already as it is amazing having Ali with MJ and Tiger as 3 of the most dominating athletes in their sport.
http://store.upperdeck.com/Products/Upper+Deck+Default+Catalog/PID-59472.aspx

trsent
03-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Jojo - Thanks for the post. I didn't even know they had a Retail store.

Have you all seen that new 5 foot wide litho they did signed by Ali, Jordan and Tiger? Its $5,999 Retail. Tough sell in this market at that price but it is an amazing piece. I bought one of these already as it is amazing having Ali with MJ and Tiger as 3 of the most dominating athletes in their sport.
http://store.upperdeck.com/Products/Upper+Deck+Default+Catalog/PID-59472.aspx

Andrew, can you post a picture of your Muhammad Ali autograph from that piece? Some of them are really rough. The one on the link above from the UDA web site looks nice.

It is an amazing piece. The best 3-some they have done yet, and I am impressed with the Tiger-Jack Nicklaus-Arnold Palmer pieces and the Olympic Basketball Locker Room shot of Jordan-Larry Bird-Magic Johnson (even though many of these were only signed by Larry Bird or Larry Bird and Michael Jordan).

allstarsplus
03-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Andrew, can you post a picture of your Muhammad Ali autograph from that piece? Some of them are really rough. The one on the link above from the UDA web site looks nice.

It is an amazing piece. The best 3-some they have done yet, and I am impressed with the Tiger-Jack Nicklaus-Arnold Palmer pieces and the Olympic Basketball Locker Room shot of Jordan-Larry Bird-Magic Johnson (even though many of these were only signed by Larry Bird or Larry Bird and Michael Jordan).

Joel - You are right on the Ali auto as there was even a disclaimer on the variance of the Ali sig:

(Note: Muhammad Ali was enthusiastic to participate in a project of this magnitude, and despite the effects of his illness, was meticulous in signing each print. Signature size and style may vary; however, each is a true representation of the Ali signature collectors have come to know.)

I am lucky to have an Olympic Torch painting of Ali that has a gold sig that is about 10 inches wide and absolutely incredible. It was signed 3 years ago.

That Tiger Woods w/ Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer is a great piece and they also did a photo of the 3 together.

TriplexXxSports
03-30-2009, 11:14 AM
WOW guys, thanks for the posts. In regards to ALLSTARS original post, that's about what I figured. By no means would I be able to fill up a tall enough order to get one of those guys to sign for TriplexXxSports. And, I must add, if they will not let you attend the signing that you just dumped $100k into, then I will just wait until something hits eBay or something.

Their prices are HORRENDOUS! I am guessing that very few vendors do alot of signings through UDA. That would be so much money up front. The cost per sig, cost of items being sent, and think of the insurance cost of needing 100 TW, or Jordan autographs insured through the mail! Holy Hell! No way would I put that kind of bread up front and not be able to attend.

ALLSTARS - Next time you throw a batch of stuff together for Jordan or Woods let me know. By no means will I fill half your order, but I do have a few things that I'd like to get signed.

Thanks again guys for all your posts:D

allstarsplus
03-30-2009, 11:35 AM
WOW guys, thanks for the posts. In regards to ALLSTARS original post, that's about what I figured. By no means would I be able to fill up a tall enough order to get one of those guys to sign for TriplexXxSports. And, I must add, if they will not let you attend the signing that you just dumped $100k into, then I will just wait until something hits eBay or something.

Their prices are HORRENDOUS! I am guessing that very few vendors do alot of signings through UDA. That would be so much money up front. The cost per sig, cost of items being sent, and think of the insurance cost of needing 100 TW, or Jordan autographs insured through the mail! Holy Hell! No way would I put that kind of bread up front and not be able to attend.

ALLSTARS - Next time you throw a batch of stuff together for Jordan or Woods let me know. By no means will I fill half your order, but I do have a few things that I'd like to get signed.

Thanks again guys for all your posts:D

They have allowed me to do 2 pairs of Michael Jordan shoes before so sometimes I can do just a couple of items as send-ins. The main thing is getting me a photo as soon as possible of what you want signed so I can get it pre-approved and scheduled and priced.

The largest order I did at one signing was over 100 Michael Jordan paintings on canvas and the original painting and thought for sure I was spending enough money to attend the signing and they said they don't do that on Tiger or MJ signings. Worse than that was I couldn't even get a "promo" photo of MJ signing the pieces :( .

They just did a signing with Tiger in February and I got some amazing signed shirts. The sigs are huge and really nice.

All in all, UDA does a great job. They are pricey but my customers are willing to pay a little more for the quality.

Call me any time. 202-716-8500

TriplexXxSports
03-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Call me any time. 202-716-8500

Thanks! I will here, around the first of the month

David
03-30-2009, 01:36 PM
UDA primarily does private signings for their retail products. A company like Tri-Star does both a lot of private and public signings, including show-- so a collector can find Tri-Star shows.

As trsent said, the UDA brand is valuable for their in-person signings as they have an elaborate security system-- signers are under contract, steps and filming the signing. Tri-Star is also a reliable autograph company/hologram.

kneerat
03-31-2009, 04:17 PM
I think part of the reason why the UDA guys don't do public signings is because they don't want to have their signature watered down like some of the signers who do public signings... Look at a guy like Jim Brown who does many public signings with TriStar... You can buy an authentic Brown signature on eBay for less than 50 bucks. Try doing that with Lebron, Kobe or Jordan. Also, I think that if any of those UDA guys chose to do a public signing that UD would get so much bad pub for charging so much.

Tiger would probably have to charge more than
$1000 per auto. Doest look good. I wrote an article a couple years ago stating that UD could charge $3000 for Jordan in a public signing. I got the most hate mail I ever got just for writing the article.
Chris

TriplexXxSports
03-31-2009, 04:44 PM
I think part of the reason why the UDA guys don't do public signings is because they don't want to have their signature watered down like some of the signers who do public signings... Look at a guy like Jim Brown who does many public signings with TriStar... You can buy an authentic Brown signature on eBay for less than 50 bucks. Try doing that with Lebron, Kobe or Jordan. Also, I think that if any of those UDA guys chose to do a public signing that UD would get so much bad pub for charging so much.

Tiger would probably have to charge more than
$1000 per auto. Doest look good. I wrote an article a couple years ago stating that UD could charge $3000 for Jordan in a public signing. I got the most hate mail I ever got just for writing the article.
Chris

....but do think think that the astronomical prices for these athletes autos are set by UDA, or are the athletes dictating to UDA they want say, $900 a sig, then UDA does a mark up, making it $1000 or $1500 an auto for the public?

I would hate to think that these athletes like LeBron, or MJ, or TW are so 'money hungry' that they would set their own prices that high for an auto. Maybe they do.....

I think you made a very good point about flooding the market. Urlacher, another example, charges about $100 for an auto at a show, but he has done so many appearances over the years, you can hit eBay and pick up an autographed helmet for a heck of alot less. Even though there are just as many, if not more, pages on eBay for Jordan or Woods auto's, the prices for those guys' signatures never seem to bend. It makes no sense!

Are we paying for a 'UDA Markup' signature or the players signature? $100 - $200 for a star athlete is reasonable, but thousands!! HELL NO! I guess that is why they won't do public signings. They'd never sell a ticket.