PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Chris Leak jersey

gatorcollector
03-30-2009, 08:09 PM
A 2004 gamer would have the A-Ross commemorative patch. Not sure about this one yet...

hblakewolf
03-30-2009, 08:26 PM
A 2004 gamer would have the A-Ross commemorative patch. Not sure about this one yet...

As noted:

Grey Flannel jersey (No A-Ross patch)

Getty Images, showing patch.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

lund6771
03-30-2009, 09:07 PM
evidentily a temendous amount of research done.

DoctorLoomis
03-31-2009, 06:30 PM
I am not trying to be arrogant in any way, shape or form. But, when it comes to recent college football jerseys...ESPECIALLY Nike jerseys, I consider myself an expert. As I have stated in other posts, I have insider information directly from Nike's promo department. I, after seeing this so called Leak jersey, contacted my person at Nike and I can assure you with 100% absolute confidence this jersey is bogus. Just for the record, I also have Leak's exact specs on his game jerseys....including size and any additional length. If anyone cares to know I will be happy to divulge.

hblakewolf
04-01-2009, 09:08 AM
As follow-up to my initial post, 3 separate emails were sent to Grey Flannel (gfcsports@aol.com (gfcsports@aol.com)), one for each item in question. Based on the lack of any response from previous emails sent to Grey Flannel, I also had my colleague forward an email (through his personal email account) voicing concern about one of the items in question. Surly, a replay would be made to one of us? Although 24 hours has well passed, I’m not in receipt of a reply nor has my colleague received a reply.

As I always preach, it’s crucial to try to accomplish as much “homework” as possible before purchasing/bidding on any game worn equipment. In this case, I had questions on 3 items, and took the first step by seeking specific information from Grey Flannel via 3 separate emails. I have concerns with the George Brett Rawlings tag (open stitch holes), Chris Leak Gators jersey (void of the memorial patch) and Billy Martin jersey (manufacturer noted for the year). Grey Flannel, who proclaims themselves on their website as “The Standard of the Industry” and also the official authenticator for the Basketball Hall of Fame, surly must have some type of research or information that supports their descriptions, “The jersey shows good game-use and appears to have no alterations of any kind”?

How can a Florida Gators jersey void of a memorial patch be described as “no alterations”? Is there some type of information attributed to this particular shirt that allows it to be listed as such? Did Grey Flannel have additional supporting information they used when determining this as “no alterations”? Although my “homework” indicated that Chris Leak wore this patch the entire season, possibly the folks at Grey Flannel have other supporting facts that dismisses this or at least can prove otherwise. My email specifically sought answers to the lack of patch. Although no reply has been received to my email, the Chris Leak jersey has been removed from their auction.

When I’ve had similar questions about equipment with other auction houses, I’ve employed the same type of communication via a quick email question. I’ve been extremely pleased with the reply’s I’ve received from such auction houses as MEARS (Troy/Dave Bushing), Hunts (Jeremy and Dave Hunt), Huggins and Scott (Bill Huggins), and Lelands (Keith Vari) to name a few. These individuals understand the value of collectors trying to determine authenticity, and strive to assist by sending additional photos, forwarding research used in making their determination of legitimacy and so forth. Several of the auction houses noted above have acknowledged that items in question may have an issue, and as such, remove them from their auction and also appreciate the “homework” conducted by me and others in the collecting hobby, allowing their credibility to remain strong.

What I find doubly troubling with the lack of response to my emails to Grey Flannel is the fact that they are unwilling to provide any answers to specific questions and also that their auction rules note “RETURN POLICY: ALL LOTS ARE SOLD AS IS. ALL SALES ARE FINAL. NO RETURNS. Each and every lot in this auction has been viewed by a minimum of two hobby experts. Many of our auction items are already framed. Without removing the frame, it is impossible to know the condition of the areas not seen. Therefore, Grey Flannel Auctions does not assume responsibility for the condition of areas hidden by the framing or matting on these specific item(s). For this reason, our catalog descriptions on these auction items are written extremely carefully, paying acute attention to detail. Please refer to our introductory letter on Page 4.”

Other auction houses have similar “all sales final”, however, understand the need for collectors to gather as much information as possible before bidding, trying to alleviate any potential problems and also avoid issues related to “all sales final”. By having open and candid communication, it not only protects buyer, but also ensures auction houses are providing items that are exactly as represented and if not, provides both parties with an opportunity to discuss issues and ultimately determine authenticity, or lack of.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

gatorcollector
04-01-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm glad they pulled the Chris Leak jersey, but that action brings up another thought. The fact that they pulled it so quickly (without a fight, so to speak) makes me wonder if they knew from the start that the jersey wasn't a gamer and just tried to sneak it by. If GF had done any kind of research at all to support their assertion that this is a game used jersey, then why wouldn't they defend their position? Why wouldn't they reply to Howard's email with their supporting evidence? Because maybe they never had any reason to believe their own description.

When I e-mailed them my concerns about the Jevon Kearse Gators jersey in their last auction, they did respond by explaining that the jersey was part of a bulk buy of UF jerseys and they trusted their source. They ended up pulling the Kearse, but at least they articulated why they thought it was legit. With the Leak, they didn't even bother to do that.

There are 4 other lots in this auction that I have a serious interest in (Danny Wuerffel, Lito Sheppard, Al Horford, and Corey Brewer). For me to bid on any of them, I will have to be absolutely convinced they're legit - and that won't be easy to do. If anyone has any thoughts on the 4 jerseys I mentioned, please post them.

GoGators
04-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Glad to see that the Leak jersey was pulled, no matter how disappointing it is to come up dry again in my search for one of his jerseys. As far as I know, Leak never wore the loose-fitting sleeves on his jerseys like they are in the Grey Flannel photo. As far as the A-ROSS patch goes, I have come across a number of gators jerseys (and own quite a few as well) that have had the patch removed, but it's usually pretty clear where the used to be. Also, most of the 2004 jerseys I've come across have "04" written on the size tag in permanent marker, and most of the '04 jerseys have the A-ROSS patch removed - most likely to serve as a backup set during 2005 when the team switched to a new jersey material and sewn-on numbers.

Bobby