X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hblakewolf
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Kevin Garnett Rookie Jersey-thoughts?

Would appreciate any comments on the offered Kevin Garnett Rookie jersey in the Grey Flannel auction.

My area of expertise is not Minnesota Timberwolves equipment and my client is seeking rookie gamers from the best NBA players.

The Hobby's premier auction site for game-worn jerseys, graded cards, championship rings, and Hall of Fame autographs.

Thanks.
    Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net
  • trsent
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: Kevin Garnett Rookie Jersey-thoughts?

Originally posted by hblakewolf
    Would appreciate any comments on the offered Kevin Garnett Rookie jersey in the Grey Flannel auction.

My area of expertise is not Minnesota Timberwolves equipment and my client is seeking rookie gamers from the best NBA players.

The Hobby's premier auction site for game-worn jerseys, graded cards, championship rings, and Hall of Fame autographs.

Thanks.
    Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net
    Howard, I would say the Grey Flannel jersey with Basketball Hall of Fame LOA matches up pretty well to the one Lelands.com sold for over $7100 (including Buyer's Premium and with a pair of shoes) in November 2008:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	650475

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	650476

Comment

• otismalibu
      • Nov 2005

With regard to the NOB...

The Ts are different - the R could be too.

Just sayin'
      Greg
      DrJStuff.com

Comment

• trsent
        Banned
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by otismalibu
        With regard to the NOB...

The Ts are different - the R could be too.

Just sayin'
        Good catch.

The "R"s look ok to me, but now that you make me look, there is more space between the "GARNETT" and "21" on the Lelands auction than in the Grey Flannel auction.

I emailed an associate who has a bunch of Timberwolves stuff and asked if he could find any other hand written Set numbers of any of his items so we can compare the handwriting. I will post pictures if I receive any photos in return.

I couldn't find any pictures of Garnett's back on Getty Images from that era. Maybe someone can help us find some to help match the fonts.

Comment

• lund6771
          • Dec 2006

Howard...

There is a expert on year that goes by the name Bigticket...

Here is the post that he made concerning Garnett rookie jerseys

Does the GF one come with a Team LOA?....if not, it looks like there should be some concern

I would contact GF and ask them if it comes with a team LOA

Comment

• Dewey2007
            • Dec 2007

Here goes '95-96 Isaiah Rider jersey tagging with handwritten Set 1 on it.
            Attached Files
            sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• trsent
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Dewey2007
              Here goes '95-96 Isaiah Rider jersey tagging with handwritten Set 1 on it.
              Great find there!

I would say, if it means anything, that this jersey matches similar handwriting to the Grey Flannel jersey and not the Lelands jersey. It doesn't make a jersey good or bad, but notice the style of the letter "S" in "Set" is similar on your jersey and the Grey Flannel jersey. The Lelands jersey has a different style of writing. This doesn't mean different people didn't write on these jerseys, but that it is interesting.

Also, the different thickness of pens used in your jersey from the Grey Flannel jersey is quite noticeable.

Finally, for those discussing it - The Grey Flannel jersey is advertised as: Accompanied by a LOA from the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Comment

• kingjammy24
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by trsent
                The Grey Flannel jersey is advertised as: Accompanied by a LOA from the Basketball Hall of Fame.
                i don't understand what that really means. LOAs are usually issued by either the original source or the authenticator. did the HOF sell this jersey to GFC? did they originally acquire it from garnett? or did they simply authenticate it? i don't understand what role the HOF plays in either the acquisition or authentication of this jersey. it'd be interesting to actually see what the letter says.

rudy.

Comment

• lund6771
                  • Dec 2006

Read through Bigtickets post again about the history of KG rookie jerseys.....

forget the the block handwriting, look at the font on the back of the jersey and the fact that there is no team letter...this jersey is a fake...guarenteed

Comment

• mfsquirrelmaster
                    • Jan 2007

When Grey Flannel has their yearly auction at the HOF all of the jerseys come with LOA's from the HOF. Grey Flannel is the "official" authenticator for the HOF. I think they stated that it comes with a HOF letter to make the jersey look more "authentic". If you search previous posts there were problems with other jerseys in that auction. From memory I think there was that bad Worthy UNC jersey.

Comment

• hblakewolf
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mfsquirrelmaster
                      When Grey Flannel has their yearly auction at the HOF all of the jerseys come with LOA's from the HOF. Grey Flannel is the "official" authenticator for the HOF. I think they stated that it comes with a HOF letter to make the jersey look more "authentic". If you search previous posts there were problems with other jerseys in that auction. From memory I think there was that bad Worthy UNC jersey.
                      Is this the thread you reference?

Not only is the Worthy jersey discussed, but also a Chris Webber and Larry Bird warm-up. Very interesting information.

Howard Wolf
                      hblakewolf@comcast.net

Comment

• dcgreg25
                        • Jan 2008

Interesting development, Grey Flannel sent out an update on the auction. It reads in part:

"Lot 135, a 1995-96 Kevin Garnett Rookie Timberwolves Game-Used Road Jersey, was shown via photographs to the former T-Wolves equipment manager who, without reservation, approved of the shirt."

I have no interest in the jersey one way or the other but thought this was relevant.

Comment

• hblakewolf
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by dcgreg25
                          Interesting development, Grey Flannel sent out an update on the auction. It reads in part:

"Lot 135, a 1995-96 Kevin Garnett Rookie Timberwolves Game-Used Road Jersey, was shown via photographs to the former T-Wolves equipment manager who, without reservation, approved of the shirt."

I have no interest in the jersey one way or the other but thought this was relevant.
                          Talk about uncanny timing!

My next door neighbor and former candy delivery man Don Daluca was just shown my mid 1980's Phillies mesh jersey with screened 66 on front, and, without reservation, approved the shirt. He's a little uneasy with the adjustable Phillies hat but also approved it.

Name:	DSCF3019.JPG
Size:	480.3 KB
ID:	650508

My neighbor Don is the best!

FYI

Howard Wolf
                          hblakewolf@comcast.net

Comment

• otismalibu
                            • Nov 2005

Howard,

Don wouldn't happen to be the impeccable source that 'acquired' the jersey on your behalf, to begin with?
                            Greg
                            DrJStuff.com

Comment

• lund6771
                              • Dec 2006

I wonder if the former EM was also asked if it's possible that fonts can vary as well....

Comment

Working...