PDA

View Full Version : newbie question

walt33
04-26-2006, 09:32 PM
hey all long time viewer, dont post alot but i have a question. i redeemed on upperdeck.com a Alex Rodriguez game used hat w/ upperdeck coa.that i had won from a pack of their cards. that was back in november. Apparently it was very limited possibly even a 1 of 1 item. i recieved a call from upperdeck that they had ruined the arod hat and they need to replace it. they will said they will replace the arod with something of equal or most likely greater value. my question is WHat should i ask for as a replacement from them? ud and i agreed that the hat was pretty valuable. any ideas or help is appreciated.
walt

both-teams-played-hard
04-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Hire a lawyer to write a nice letter and shoot for the moon. I know little about the law, but your UDA redemption card is like a contract, right? Determine fair market value (whatever that might be) and ask them to scratch a check...then buy some nice game used stuff of your choice.

suave1477
04-26-2006, 11:22 PM
here are some suggestions why not a:

arod jersey
arod bat
pujols jersey
pujols bat

anyone of these i would be happy with

BULBUS
04-27-2006, 07:40 AM
If you like AROD, I would definetly start with something else of his (of greater value), like a bat or jersey. If they dont have that, ask for a bat or jersey of a star player that you like. Make a list ranking them. Or maybe you should make UD give you a list to chose from. You can post the list here on the forum, and take a poll what the members think you should take.

icollectDCsports
04-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Whatever you decide, if you believe that Upper Deck does not treat you fairly in resolving this, post again on the forum to obtain ideas about what to do. They need to make good on this.

PK
04-27-2006, 10:16 AM
I agree with having UD give you a list of what they can offer in place of the A Rod hat. If you do not like the list tell them that you have an appointment to talk with a lawyer in the morning and you will be recording any further converastions with them:D

What is the title of the person you are speaking with? I would take it all the way up to a VP.

Nice pull on the card!!!!

walt33
04-27-2006, 11:02 AM
hi all,
thanks for the help. ud is having a meeting on monday with the managers of customer service to come up with a replacement. i will def. post what they tell me. how much value do you think the hat has? they have been as helpful as they can be right now and even saying they will exceed the value. i just hope its something good. ill keep ya posted

earlywynnfan
04-27-2006, 11:56 AM
I would think the hat would be worth $3-400, perhaps $500 tops?? You may want to look up on vintageauthentics.com or americanmemorabilia.com to see if they've sold similars. I would be frustrated if I were you, but i think that asking for a pujols jersey or AROD jersey or the like (like some are recommending) is a bit excessive. I'm sure getting a replacement with a comparable value or maybe a little more is acceptable, since they messed up, but they can't be expected to turn over the keys to the vault.

Just my opinion,
Ken

walt33
04-27-2006, 01:18 PM
yea i agree. i just want whats equal, thats why i was asking for ideas what to ask for. although im a fan of toby hall i dont think ill be asking for anything of him. lol.

both-teams-played-hard
04-27-2006, 01:23 PM
http://www.steinersports.com/ssm/control/product/~pcategory=1001/~category=10320/~pid=200511950800000013;jsessionid=AF4B41CBABEFE7D A1A94CBBAD62499BE.steinerweb1

I don't know if the UDA redemption was a Yankees hat, but Steiner has one for five thousand dollars and zero cents (yes, this price makes zero cents). Print this link that I provided and get a copy to the suits at UDA. DO NOT SETTLE FOR NO FIVE HUNDGIE! Upper Deck makes money, right. They're just sittin' there waiting to low-ball you! Just Business!!!!!

walt33
04-27-2006, 01:26 PM
lol 5,000! i wish it was a yankee hat then lol. i believe its a rangers or mariners hat the redemption came out of 2003 sweetspot. however i printed the steiner listing

both-teams-played-hard
04-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Ask for the hat that they "ruined". Say it's the hat that you and your attorney had your hearts set on. Make'em squirm!

walt33
04-27-2006, 01:36 PM
i am still wondering what they did to the hat that i wouldnt want it lol.

suave1477
04-27-2006, 01:49 PM
As far as for asking for too much there is nothing wrong with that, the worst they can tell you is NO or that it is way over valued for the item there trying to replace and who knos they might end up giving you something similar to that.

As someone said here its JUST BUSINESS and there is nothing wrong with asking.

At least if you shoot for the stars you might not get it but you might do pretty well. if you shoot for something mid level you might end up with crap.

JUST BUSINESS!!!

suave1477
04-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Walt they gave it out to someone else!!!

trsent
04-27-2006, 02:08 PM
If you use that Steiner hat with Upper Deck, I bet they'll make you happy somehow. What great work BTPH finding that link for this guy, it should be perfect to help set the value of a genuine cap!

BULBUS
04-27-2006, 02:15 PM
I agree with using that Steiner hat as a bargaining chip. UD's prices are even more ridiculous than Steiner's. There is now way that they would sell a hat like that for "$3-400, perhaps $500 tops". Make sure you tell them how excited you were when you pulled that card, then they ripped your heart out! LOL ;) Definitely ask them for a list though. Good luck!

earlywynnfan
04-27-2006, 02:30 PM
and they call the 80's the decade of greed? a company makes money, so they should get gouged? shoot for the moon, aim high, and if all else fails, call a lawyer? everyone on here knows that Steiner's prices are asinine, we all laugh at them, and yet now we're going to use them as the price standard?

Tell you what: I have an AROD hat from his Mariners days. I will not sell it for nothing less than $50,000. Print that and take it to them! It doesn't matter what the asking price is, value is set by the actual sales price.

Perhaps this thread is why so many are sickened by the new American ideals: someone screwed up, so they must PAY PAY PAY!!! Let's throw any sense of fairness out the window: Tell them you'll settle for nothing less than an AROD GW jersey AND you want extra for all your pain and suffering, all your mental anguish! If not, you'll call in the lawyers and then the ante will be upped: nothing short of a Babe Ruth GW cap will do, preferably pulled right off of David Wells' head.

Ken

suave1477
04-27-2006, 02:50 PM
early you totally blew that out of proportion no one said settle for nothing less then the premium items but whether you awnt to admit it or not UD is a company not your local family owned candy store and if you think they are going to go out of there way to bring you the best your wrong. So there is nothing wrong with asking, hes not demanding these items, hes just asking. You might be surprised and end up with something really really nice then even what he expected.

walt33
04-27-2006, 03:03 PM
hey guys ,
i didnt mean to start anything i just wanted to know what to ask for as a replacement and just to say it sucks they damaged the hat (i bet they made a card out of it lol)
walt

BULBUS
04-27-2006, 03:04 PM
I agree with suave. That post was a little extreme. I was just kidding around. UD is a solid company with a solid reputation. They made a mistake and I'm sure they will make good on it. They know what things are worth and a worthy replacement will be offered. I don't think there is going to be any need for threats of a lawyer or anything like that. walt33, keep us posted.

trsent
04-27-2006, 03:06 PM
and they call the 80's the decade of greed? a company makes money, so they should get gouged? shoot for the moon, aim high, and if all else fails, call a lawyer? everyone on here knows that Steiner's prices are asinine, we all laugh at them, and yet now we're going to use them as the price standard?

Tell you what: I have an AROD hat from his Mariners days. I will not sell it for nothing less than $50,000. Print that and take it to them! It doesn't matter what the asking price is, value is set by the actual sales price.

Perhaps this thread is why so many are sickened by the new American ideals: someone screwed up, so they must PAY PAY PAY!!! Let's throw any sense of fairness out the window: Tell them you'll settle for nothing less than an AROD GW jersey AND you want extra for all your pain and suffering, all your mental anguish! If not, you'll call in the lawyers and then the ante will be upped: nothing short of a Babe Ruth GW cap will do, preferably pulled right off of David Wells' head.

Ken

Ken, I understand your point, but this guy now can find a similar hat with great authentication from Steiner Sports for sale at $5000.00. Why shouldn't he ask for something good in return? He pulled a card from a pack of Upper Deck product that promised they would send him a special piece of game used memorabilia, and they lost or destroyed the redemption item.

Why are you so upset that we recommend this guy asks for something reasonable and better in return? Upper Deck can't complete this transaction because of their error, the customer who pays between $3.00 and $500.00 for a single pack of trading cards should receive something similar or better than what they were originally promised since Upper Deck cannot complete the transaction due to their error.

Remember, this is now a customer who pulled a card promising a piece of memorabilia that verified from Steiner Sports retails for $5000.00. I do not know what the hat is worth on the open market, but I know to get a real deal hat, right now the only one we have found is retailing for $5000.00.

This is the trading card industry in 2006, I don't like it myself, but this is what it has become. People walk into the store all day and buy packs of cards as if they were putting money into a slot machine.

both-teams-played-hard
04-27-2006, 03:56 PM
...I recieved a call from upperdeck that they had ruined the arod hat and they need to replace it.
Is it possible that this hat was cut into pieces and attached to "game used" Upper Deck cards? Now there's a reason to stick it to Upper Deck. Does UDA cut up jerseys to make cards? Is there an A-Rod Mariners or Rangers game used cap card? From any company?

walt33
04-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Is it possible that this hat was cut into pieces and attached to "game used" Upper Deck cards? Now there's a reason to stick it to Upper Deck. Does UDA cut up jerseys to make cards? Is there an A-Rod Mariners or Rangers game used cap card? From any company?

thats what i thought lol. they couldnt give me a print number on how many they had for this redemption but since they cant replace the arod hat with another it was a good chance it was a 1 of 1. if anything i should get something to use for trade.
anyone have a devil rays team signed ball or toby hall game used items?

suave1477
04-27-2006, 08:57 PM
if you check out items for sale under the thread "Game used jerseys and bats For Sale" in my listing i have 2 devil rays game used items for sale.

Spiezio23
04-28-2006, 01:37 AM
$5000 is way too much and everyone knows it. It's only affordable to those with a 6-7 figure income, or if you just like to eat lots of Top Ramen Noodles for months just so you can have a hat.

Back when the product was released Upper Deck had 3 redemptions for Arod Game Used hats in that product, I'm assuming it was Sweet Spot 2003 that you're talking about. Two of them back then had a retail value of $199.00, this was the retail value UD placed on them, don't blast me for it. The third hat they had was given a retail market value of $500.00, I do not know what the differences were in the hats but I would guess the first 2 were BP hats and the third was an actual gamer.

Prices change and fluctuate but they don't go from $500 up to $5000 in a few years, not for Arod who is still playing and putting out more game worn hats each year.

I doubt anyone at Uppder Deck could even tell you why the 2 prices were so different, I called back in 2004 a couple of times to figure out what jersey a redemption card was for, not one person I spoke with could tell me nor apparently knew where to find the answer. I eventually passed on buying the redemption and never knew what jersey it eventually was.

Shoot for a comparible replacement but I wouldn't go for a $5000 replacement item, that's just me though.

trsent
04-28-2006, 11:06 AM
$5000 is way too much and everyone knows it. It's only affordable to those with a 6-7 figure income, or if you just like to eat lots of Top Ramen Noodles for months just so you can have a hat.

Back when the product was released Upper Deck had 3 redemptions for Arod Game Used hats in that product, I'm assuming it was Sweet Spot 2003 that you're talking about. Two of them back then had a retail value of $199.00, this was the retail value UD placed on them, don't blast me for it. The third hat they had was given a retail market value of $500.00, I do not know what the differences were in the hats but I would guess the first 2 were BP hats and the third was an actual gamer.

Prices change and fluctuate but they don't go from $500 up to $5000 in a few years, not for Arod who is still playing and putting out more game worn hats each year.

I doubt anyone at Uppder Deck could even tell you why the 2 prices were so different, I called back in 2004 a couple of times to figure out what jersey a redemption card was for, not one person I spoke with could tell me nor apparently knew where to find the answer. I eventually passed on buying the redemption and never knew what jersey it eventually was.

Shoot for a comparible replacement but I wouldn't go for a $5000 replacement item, that's just me though.

The only authentic hat we can currently find for sale (and by authentic, I mean solid proof) is available for $5000.00. Please find another with rock solid history to compare, otherwise, I like this guy's argument with Upper Deck for a nice replacement item.

Remember, this is a lost item from a redemption set. If I was the owner of the missing item I would mention to Upper Deck that I can only find a similar replacement for the asking price of Steiner. Then I'd ask for an Alex Rodriguez game used jersey or something of that nature!

Now, if you ask what I'd pay for that Steiner A-Rod hat, that would be a different story, but the original question dealt with how to address Upper Deck since they cannot fill a redemption card. Remember, their packs retail for between $3.00 and $500.00 each, so as a customer you should shoot for the moon and settle on New York City.

stlbats
04-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Hey Walt33,

You might benefit more if you were interested in a player that UD represents. Such as a Griffey Jr bat or jersey. I would guess that they have more of his memorabilia lying around than most other players.

I might know someone who has a toby hall bat.
Jason

walt33
04-28-2006, 08:16 PM
thanks alot for all of your input. as long as its equal in value i think ill let ud "surprise" me. if anything i can use it for trades. but im just curious now. is it monday yet ? =).
hey stlbats let me know on the toby. i had the worlds biggest toby g/u collection until last year =(. so im starting from scratch to get back into this awesome hobby.i did tell ud though not to do griffey jr items from the sweetspot redemption because i have some of the items. thanks again for all your input.

2000mvpfan
04-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Walt-
I have a signed '06 Topps Opening Day Toby Hall autograph card (seeded 1/1,185 packs) that I just pulled from a box of Opening Day Baseball.If you're interested,it's yours for $20 including shipping via USPS with delivery confirmation.

Best,
Joe

2000mvpfan
04-29-2006, 03:39 PM
...also found this one on E-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toby-Hall-SIGNED-auto-GAME-USED-ROOKIE-Baseball-Bat-ASI_W0QQitemZ8796578225QQcategoryZ27261QQssPageNam eZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Joe

walt33
05-03-2006, 07:56 AM
thanks joe! im good on the hall auto tho.

so as i said. ud said they would call me monday with a answer (i talked to Jose on thursday) Monday comes and goes no call, no sweat. tuesday about 4 pm their time i call them just to see. i call Jose on his direct line he gave me. He had no clue who i was and it was like he hadnt known anything about this situation. i understand they get alot of calls im very laid back but come on how many people are calling about a ruined arod game used hat? especially since it was "very limited"
so after going through the whole thing again and refreshing his memory i got to speak with Chad who was pretty cool. solution hmmm not yet!
However they will have a list made for me on friday am that i can choose from. if you dont mind or if you want ill post the list.
i did ask about the value of the hat but he couldnt give an answer because he said he usually can judge card value replacements by "that auction site" and book value. so just for a laugh( i had a couple adult beverages before hand lol) i brought up the steiner hat for 5,000 and we shared a laugh. but chad assured me they will exceed the value of the arod whether i choose 1 item or multiple items.
Thanks for the Long read
walt

BULBUS
05-03-2006, 09:15 AM
walt,

thanks for the update. definitely post that list. i'm very interested to see what they offer.

-chris

suave1477
05-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Walt I am pretty surprised your not interested in the Toby Hall Game Used Rookie bat autographed? I just found that one myself and was about to point it out to you untill I saw Joe already posted it.

Looks like a pretty nice piece.

walt33
05-03-2006, 10:54 AM
hey suave,
i am interested but i have 16 of his bats several rookie. i usually go through locker room memo. im looking for his first and only grand slam bat

suave1477
05-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Walt if your looking for his first and only Grand Slam bat dont you think he would have that?

So if I were you on a weekend when you have nothing to do take a drive over to his house, knock on his door and say "Hey Toby can I have your only Grand Slam bat?"

got a crazy feeling he will hand it right over lol lol lol:D :D

walt33
05-03-2006, 11:30 AM
maybe upper deck has his grand salm bat and will give it to me!:D
i believe it will show up some where

suave1477
05-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Walt I think you missing my point, unless Toby is desperate for money I am sure your not gong to see that bat any time soon. Think to yourself, that is a pretty significant accomplishment would you just let it go?

I am not saying its not possible I am just saying in the near future it is highly unlikely.

So I hope you have plenty of patience and time.

walt33
05-03-2006, 12:04 PM
nah i understood what ya meant and i agree i can always hope to find it. i did have his japan jersey at one point when they opened against thee yanks in japan few years back

both-teams-played-hard
05-03-2006, 01:12 PM
so just for a laugh( i had a couple adult beverages before hand lol) i brought up the steiner hat for 5,000 and we shared a laugh. but chad assured me they will exceed the value of the arod whether i choose 1 item or multiple items.

Walt
This is, of course, none of my business. However, it seems from your posts that you are afraid of stepping on UDA's toes. You paid for the pack of cards. You essentially won the "lottery" that these card company pimps try to push on 12-year-olds. If some of you think its a stretch comparing redemption cards to lotto, then we disagree. You have a contract. No time for laughs or small talk...just redeem my redemption card! What did they say when you mentioned the law, courtrooms and cash settlements? Don't be afraid to ruffle some feathers, crack some eggs, etc. Ask them if they'll buy back all your Upper Deck cards at "book value"? HA!

Yankwood
05-03-2006, 02:20 PM
And above all, what is so hard about having Arod wear a different hat for a few games and call it even?:confused:

suave1477
05-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Yankwood I dont quite understand your statement but ok

walt33
05-08-2006, 06:24 PM
well,
i just got off the phone with upper deck and im gonna be sick. i cant even bring myself to list what stuff they had to offer. im gonna go vomit and if you want to discuss this my aim name is wormrules.
walt =(

both-teams-played-hard
05-08-2006, 06:42 PM
i cant even bring myself to list what stuff they had to offer

c'mon, humor us.

trsent
05-08-2006, 06:49 PM
If it is that bad, you should suggest to them to buy you the same item from Steiner Sports since it will replace your missing item without issues, right?

otismalibu
05-08-2006, 06:52 PM
I recall reading a thread on eBay a few years back where a fellow (thru a redemption) was supposed to get something that held some decent value. I want to say it was a Joe DiMaggio signed item. Anyway, they no longer had that item and what they gave him instead didn't exactly seem like equivalent value.

Wish I could remember some details. But I always think of that when I see those UD redemption cards on eBay.

Greg

walt33
05-08-2006, 06:55 PM
it is that bad and i actually feel sick. we did discuss the hat on steiner (sold out i think he said) and he couldnt believe they went for that much. he did use the steiner hat to look at value but the list he gave me that came from inventory was just putrid. he did tell me one reason is that they are getting away from game used memorabilia. i knew it was bad when the first line of conversation is the players are bad but im gonna read the list anyway

trsent
05-09-2006, 10:46 AM
it is that bad and i actually feel sick. we did discuss the hat on steiner (sold out i think he said) and he couldnt believe they went for that much. he did use the steiner hat to look at value but the list he gave me that came from inventory was just putrid. he did tell me one reason is that they are getting away from game used memorabilia. i knew it was bad when the first line of conversation is the players are bad but im gonna read the list anyway

Ask him to send you a case of Trilogy Basketball...

walt33
05-09-2006, 03:28 PM
is trilogy basketball very hot? i usually follow all sports cards but havent heard of this one.
right now we are discussing a few bats as a replacement

walt33
05-09-2006, 08:37 PM
need some help with this one how rare is a UDA michael jordan game used bat? ive been looking online but havent seen one yet . any help is appreciated.
walt

trsent
05-10-2006, 01:06 AM
need some help with this one how rare is a UDA michael jordan game used bat? ive been looking online but havent seen one yet . any help is appreciated.
walt

Walt, they are offering you a Michael Jordan game used bat?

Take it and email me pictures and I'll make an offer.

walt33
05-10-2006, 07:10 AM
yes thats one of the items ill be getting. i ddont believe its signed though just game used w/ uda coa. ive been looking around for one to compare it to but cant seem to find one. it should be shipped this week or next. ill take a pic of it.

BULBUS
05-10-2006, 08:40 AM
a jordan game used bat ?!?!? thats awesome! and they're sending you something else? what is it? that worked out well :)

walt33
05-10-2006, 09:01 AM
a griffey jr game used hat and another bat ill be picking off a list like albert belle or someone of that caliber.

BULBUS
05-10-2006, 09:07 AM
so i guess mentioning steiners arod hat for 5k worked???

walt33
05-10-2006, 09:12 AM
i think chad took it into consideration. he spent some time looking up some game used items (as hes not familiar with game used, he collects cards and balls). he was amazed at what somethings go for and how little some things go for.

its no arod hat, but i thought a jordan bat would be hard to come by especially from uda. i still would like to learn more about the jordan bat and how decent it is.

earlywynnfan
05-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Uh, you got a MUCH better deal than an AROD hat! Be thankful you got a card guy instead of someone who has a clue about memorabilia!

Ken

suave1477
05-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Walt I would definitely be interested in the Jordan bat!! If you are interested in selling it let me know? Please send me pics - suave1477@yahoo.com

I can even trade you for that bat!!!

walt33
05-10-2006, 10:42 AM
ok ill send out pics when it comes just leave your meail addys on here. or drop me a line @ tobyhall44@optonline.net for pics or to discuss

walt33
05-12-2006, 11:40 AM
hey guys,
here is a link to the photobucket page with some pics of the Jordan bat that arrived , the grffey hat and such will be here monday. if you need more let me know.
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/walt33/
walt

BULBUS
05-12-2006, 01:20 PM
walt, great bat. dont let anyone "steal" it!

you did very well!

walt33
05-12-2006, 01:23 PM
thanks, it is great. it has alot more use than the pics show, blall marks and indentations ,fully uncracked. would like to photo match it.

both-teams-played-hard
05-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Glad UDA came through, and everything worked out well!