PDA

View Full Version : It's getting serious.....

suicide_squeeze
04-05-2009, 02:37 PM
O.K., so I'm done posting my venom for awhile towards Grey Flannel, and I figure I'll just go check out their newest "garbage" allotment opening up for unsuspecting people who call themselves collectors.....who will eventually be seperated from their hard-earned cash only to eventually end up on People Court to attempt to get it back, and it takes me all of, oh, I don't know......3 minutes to find this beaut.....

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=21270

It's a 1952 Mantle Home Yankees jersey.

Starting at only $50,000.00? So cheap? I'm in!!

It's signed by someone who did their best to represent Mantle's signature. (Okay, I'm not going to go there. YOU can all make your best guess on whether the sig is real.)

But here's the part that makes me vomit......then get's me angry as I'm hosing down my breakfast on my shoes...

"Accompanying this jersey is a 16” x 20” autographed photo of Mickey wearing this very shirt."

That's right out of their description.

Why not take a gander at the picture. Blow it up, and line up the pinstripes at the bottom of the "NY" on the face of the jersey with the offered jersey.

I'm not claiming to know that this jersey isn't an authentic Mantle, game issued, game used, or whatever. But it isn't the one pictured in the "accompanying" photo, as the lines don't even come CLOSE to matching up.

Yet just another example of the sincere efforts of Russek and his "rats".

I have a lot of respect for MEARS....I'd like to see a copy of their letter on this. I'll bet anyone a HUGE amount of money there is NO COMMENT WHATSOEVER about any photo match, or the accompanying 16" x 20" coming from GF. It's just another pathetic attempt to mislead the collecting public into over-paying for an item that is improperly hyped up, and although may be real, is misrepresented by this pathetic auction house.

And for the record, I do NOT like the signature. But that's just me.

yanks12025
04-05-2009, 02:46 PM
This is from the description also.

"On the left breast is the interlocking “NY” logo embroidered in navy blue felt letters which has been professionally restored."

I dont know if they were able to put it in the same spot as the old one or not.

suicide_squeeze
04-05-2009, 03:08 PM
This is from the description also.

"On the left breast is the interlocking “NY” logo embroidered in navy blue felt letters which has been professionally restored."

I dont know if they were able to put it in the same spot as the old one or not.

Next time I'll spend more than 3 minutes looking at the auction. I make no hesitation is stating it is the same now. I was wrong. I didn't see that.

It is the same one!:o The pinstripes appear to line up at the shoulders, and along the button line.

I guess I'm just so used to reading that same garbage line "and there appears to be no alterations of any kind"....my bad!

Like I said.....you've got to have a few good ones to keep up the reputation. It would make sense that on a big item like this, they would have to be right. My apologies for this wasted space.

Danny899
04-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Next time I'll spend more than 3 minutes looking at the auction. .

That might be a good idea.

aeneas01
04-06-2009, 12:34 AM
I have a lot of respect for MEARS....I'd like to see a copy of their letter on this. I'll bet anyone a HUGE amount of money there is NO COMMENT WHATSOEVER about any photo match, or the accompanying 16" x 20" coming from GF.

yeah, i know what you mean - mears would never claim that an item they've authenticated matched a photo when it didn't... :rolleyes:

here's a 1997 bonds jersey that kinunen and bushing signed off on a couple of years ago, a jersey they both confirmed was "style photo matched" to a few circa 1997 getty images they dug up. not only were the getty images they referenced and itemized in their "letter of opinion" utterly useless in terms of offering anything conclusive, but the one framed in blue (below) was particularly interesting.

according to kinunen and bushing, getty image 1785376 supported the "bond short nob set" that the jersey in question featured. the thing is, getty image 1785376 was actually a shot of bonds sporting a jersey with a nob set that looked nothing like the jersey in question. but given getty image 1785376 was not a closeup shot, it's actually impossible to tell with any degree of certainty what the nob set looked like - yet kinunen and bushing went ahead and called it a "short nob set". other photos from the same game, closeup photos, confirm that the nob set wasn't a match, not even close.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/bondsguf01.jpg

the top photo shows getty image 1785376 that kinunen and bushing claimed supported the "bonds short nob set". the bottom photo, a closeup photo from the same game, tells quite a different story...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/bondsguf03.jpg

sammy
04-06-2009, 05:59 AM
The Mickey Mantle "autograph" on the jersey is horrendous, and is not authentic in my opinion.

mvandor
04-06-2009, 07:56 AM
I believe they're saying it's an early 50's sig, like most of us I'm sure Mantle's sig changed from his days as a rook until his death.

Not saying it is or isn't legit, but that offers some plausible explanation, and they did get a JSA cert on it.

sammy
04-06-2009, 08:25 AM
It is not a 1950s or 60s style signature either, in my opinion.

It might be a really drunk Mantle signature.

That is possible . ;)

But hey, it has a JSA cert so it must be good, right?

Regardless of who wrote it, it really ruins the look of that shirt.

mvandor
04-06-2009, 08:45 AM
It is not a 1950s or 60s style signature either, in my opinion.

It might be a really drunk Mantle signature.

That is possible . ;)

But hey, it has a JSA cert so it must be good, right?

Regardless of who wrote it, it really ruins the look of that shirt.

None of us are signature experts (I know you could argue that many of the employees at the authentication companies aren't either), and certainly Mantle signed alot and drank like a fish even moreso, so who knows in the early 50's???

But I agree, doesn't look nice on the shirt.