PDA

View Full Version : If you could only keep ONE of your gamers...

33bird
04-05-2009, 06:29 PM
which one would you keep? Circumstances called for you to sell all your items but one. Tell us which is your keeper. I'm still thinking about it. It's a tuff call and one I hope I never have to make.
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

suave1477
04-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Wow thats a hard one but it would have to come down to these 3 I know you asked for 1 but since I am not in the situation now to really have to decide it is hard for me too. Especially since I have hundreds of items if not more I think narrowing down to e is pretty good.

These are my 3.

1) 1998 Yankee Jorge Posada World Series Game Used Jersey - many significances to this jersey for this season & player.
2) 1994 Giants Darryl Strawberry Game Used Jersey w/Anniversary patch - due to how rare it is and you hardly see anything come from his time with the Giants.
3) 1996 Yankees Regular season & World Series used Darryl Strawberry fielding glove - due to the significances of this season & Player

Those are mine!!:p

NegleyPirate
04-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Hello,
I would sell my whole collection. If I could watch my son play in the MLB. I think that would be the best gamer anyone could ever want.
Thanks,

metsbats
04-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Ed Hearn' s 1986 game used road jersey and his 1986 NLCS bat.

Everything else can go.

sylbry
04-05-2009, 07:45 PM
1949 Minneapolis Millers uniform worn by Otey Clark. When I bought it from Otey I told him I would never sell it. I intend to keep my word.

yanks12025
04-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Chris Chambliss game worn yankee hat from 1970's. And this ain't game used but 1926 Yankee team signed baseball(Ruth, Gehrig, Huggins and Lazzeri).

AWA85
04-05-2009, 07:54 PM
My selection would be my 2000 Ken Griffey Jr Cincinnati Reds jersey. First season in Cincy where he put up 40 home runs and 118 rbis.... oh what could have been.

godwulf
04-05-2009, 08:04 PM
A painfully difficult scenario to contemplate.

I think I would have to keep ahold of my Matt Williams 1999 white, pin-striped Diamondbacks home jersey.

markize
04-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Ok, if I really have to pick just 1, it would be my newly acquired Alfonso Soriano game used fielding glove from 2002-2003. Now, if I can sneak a few more in, I would keep a destroyed Soriano Yankees bat, and a hammered photomathed Soriano bat from 2006.

By the way Mike, when your son makes it, can I get a few gamers on the house?

Mark

suicide_squeeze
04-05-2009, 08:30 PM
A painfully difficult scenario to contemplate.

I think I would have to keep ahold of my Matt Williams 1999 white, pin-striped Diamondbacks home jersey.

godwulf, really?

Even after the steroid implications?

Matt went to my college and was a superstar (UNLV) and had a great career, and because I used to watch him play in the desert, I have a special liking for the guy too.

But because of this painful era these guys all played in, I have a tendency to lean more toward the vintage stuff of the dead guys.

Mine would be Babe Ruth's last game used bat...his last at bat of his career, picked up off the field by Wally Berger who, upon hearing Babe Ruth utter the infamous words ending the most hallowed career in baseball history, "I quit", asked him if he could keep his bat as a momento. "Sure kid" babe replied. I have the letter from Wally Berger's wife, who gave the bat to Barry Halper, who eventually had his historic 1999 auction. Wally had kept that bat all the way to his death.

The winner of that auction put the bat up for sale a year later in Robert Edwards Auctions, where I was the lucky winner.

I'll either be taking it to my grave with me, or having my kids promise they'll always keep it in the family.

markize
04-05-2009, 08:43 PM
godwulf, really?

Matt went to my college and was a superstar (UNLV) and had a great career, and because I used to watch him play in the desert, I have a special liking for the guy too.

But because of this painful era these guys all played in, I have a tendency to lean more toward the vintage stuff of the dead guys.

Mine would be Babe Ruth's last game used bat...his last at bat of his career, picked up off the field by Wally Berger who, upon hearing Babe Ruth utter the infamous words ending the most hallowed career in baseball history, "I quit", asked him if he could keep his bat as a momento. "Sure kid" babe replied. I have the letter from Wally Berger's wife, who gave the bat to Barry Halper, who eventually had his historic 1999 auction. Wally had kept that bat all the way to his death.

The winner of that auction put the bat up for sale a year later in Robert Edwards Auctions, where I was the lucky winner.

I'll either be taking it to my grave with me, or having my kids promise they'll always keep it in the family.

I would love to see some pics of the Ruth club. Can you post a few here?

Mark

gingi79
04-05-2009, 09:05 PM
My Pavel Bure 93/94 jersey. It has MeiGray Docs. They made the finals. My man-crush on Pavel was never so intense.

Bure is my MoFo. As far as I'm concerned, there are two collections. This jersey and everything else.

bigtruck260
04-05-2009, 09:21 PM
If I was in a situation to sell off my collection - I would certainly NOT keep the Pujols, Edmonds, Kile, etc.

I would keep my Ray Lankford C271. Ray was the best Cardinals player of a dead era for the team, and was underrated - even when he put up MVP numbers for several years.

Vintagedeputy
04-05-2009, 10:08 PM
I would keep one of my Posada bats. The guy is a ballplayer, all day long.

godwulf
04-05-2009, 10:31 PM
godwulf, really?

Matty's last couple of seasons were plagued by injury, and he tried to speed the healing with HGH. The fact that he continued to use it for several years after he retired says a lot.

As for being a hard-nosed, no-nonsense ballplayer, who always played The Game right, stood up for his teammates and respected the fans, I'll put Matty up next to the Babe, or anyone else, any time.

Capital-Sports
04-06-2009, 12:14 AM
suicide_squeeze..... wow what an item to own! what do you do for a living lol

Mine would probably be a Jeter game used bat I received from him back in 2000 when the Yankees were playing the Rays. Jeter was always cool and I met this girl there who had 5 Jeter bats that she received from him. I offered her $300 for one, and she denied me lol

thomecollector
04-06-2009, 01:15 AM
Mine would have to be my Thome '95 World Series jersey. I have only seen another '95 . But that was a Baerga a few years back. Those were the days!:D

cordovacollector
04-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Because of health reasons, unfortunately, I have had to make this choice a few times. But then am always grateful to have the chance to start collecting over again and find a new favorite I hope to never part with. I do always choose the favorite with no regard to monetary value and I have some odd things in my collection not "worth" a thing to anyone else.

Current gamer, if it came down to only one item, is because it is the earliest item I have of Cordova ... a homerun baseball from a Senior League Tournament in 1984.

xpress34
04-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Ed Hearn' s 1986 game used road jersey and his 1986 NLCS bat.

Everything else can go.

Mets -

Just an FYI - If you are interested in an AUTO Ed Hearns business card (real estate) that I got in a collection of Autos, let me know.

- Chris
xpress34@comcast.net

Rob L
04-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Jeez. A nearly impossible question to answer. Let see, I have four Percival separate jerseys, one uniform and one of his hats. I think I would stuff four of the jerseys and hat in the pants and take the uniform!!

TAFKADixie
04-06-2009, 06:21 PM
My item would HAVE to be a Clemson jersey, not a pro one of a former Tiger, so I guess I would have to go with my purple Khalil Greene gamer. I think. I'm pretty sure. Yeah, fairly certain. Unless of course...............nope it's KG.

FanofGriffey3
04-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Not the rarist item out their. But I would have to say my Griffey game used mariners bat. My first game used purchase and still my favorite.

nycsports
04-06-2009, 07:29 PM
David Beckham's first MLS goal ball.

tigerdale
04-06-2009, 08:04 PM
very tough choice.....hard to ever top that ruth bat...wow!!
I would say one of my 2006 tiger used world series jerseys...only because for years (as all us tiger fans know), I never thought I would ever see them in a series again...it was a special season even though they lost to the cardinals.

momen55
04-06-2009, 08:06 PM
"momen" clemente gamer. :)

corsairs22
04-06-2009, 09:28 PM
When I was about nine, my grandfather had passed away, and I was helping my parents clean out his basement. I found several old baseball bats and was drawn to one in particular. It was huge and covered in tar. I remember sitting on the grass and chipping away at the tar until I found the trademark and, eventually the name at the end. It read "FELSCH." I didn't recognice the name, so I looked him up that night in my Baseball Encyclopedia. I was disappointed to learn that he had been banned from baseball, but it led me to read Eight Men Out and finally to understand whose bat it was. Now, for me, it is not only a great bat but also a link to my grandfather, who was also a big baseball fan.

suicide_squeeze
04-06-2009, 10:55 PM
I would love to see some pics of the Ruth club. Can you post a few here?

Mark

I'd be happy to. Only thing is, it will have to be this weekend, as it is in a safe at the parents house.....they have a MUCH better security system than I do. But after my next home upgrade, it will be on display!

33bird
04-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I've thought about this for awhile and it's too tuff, but I got it down to 3 items: 97-98 Kerr Bulls Finals jerseys and shorts; Kukoc 95-96 Black pinstripped gamer; Bird 90-91 home gamer. I also have two pair of 95-96 MJ game used signed shoes, but I like jerseys better than shoes. I hope I never have to decide!
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

markize
04-08-2009, 06:23 PM
I'd be happy to. Only thing is, it will have to be this weekend, as it is in a safe at the parents house.....they have a MUCH better security system than I do. But after my next home upgrade, it will be on display!

I can understand the need for high quality security on an item like that!! I look foward to seeing it. Seems like a gamer that is deserving of it's own thread too.

My elite security system consists of a 17 year old Easton aluminum bat from my last year of americal legion baseball!! I have wanted to upgrade to a S&W product, but sweet gamers keep popping up.

Mark

BernBabyBern
04-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Sorry. I know I'm a little late on this one. I have some Mattingly and Bernie Williams gamers I will keep for sure. But, this Jeter 2006 gamer is my center piece. Steiner/Jeter LOA and uncracked.

MAP