PDA

View Full Version : Old catcher's mask

whoaholly
04-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi, I'm a new member & I have an old catcher's mask that I am trying to get info on, like how old it is & who made it . It is put together very well with a diamond on the lower mouth cage & has heavy weld beading & has no tags. Can anyone help!
thanks
Bert
whoaholly@gmail.com

b.heagy
04-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Very nice mask. Diamond "spitter", excellent welds. and "Spiderman style" eyes. 1920 or earlier. I love that style, I currently do not have a diamond spitter with spiderman eyes in my collection.

Fnazxc0114
04-05-2009, 08:20 PM
i have always been infactuated with these types of masks. i might have to pick one up.

FSUnconquered
04-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Thats a really nice mask. As mentioned, circa 1910's-20's. It has a lot going for it; original head-strap, nice complete padding, heavy bead welds, "google" eyes, and diamond shaped spitter. Everything a collector would want. Congrats on owning this mask.

whoaholly
04-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the info on mask! I thought it was very old. Since it has no tag does anyone have any idea who made it, was it company made or custom made. Was it common to put a mfg tag on it?
Bert

xpress34
04-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Most tagging would have been done on the straps or stamped into the leather (normally in the chin area).

Great mask - unusually large spitter area though. Most spitters I've seen generally have a smaller circular opening.

Just wondering - can a ball fit through that diamond? The picturea make it appear that it is large enough that one might be able to.

All the best -

Chris

whoaholly
04-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Chris, The pix makes it look larger than it is, no way a ball can get in. Re-checked & there is nothing stamped in the chin so the tag must have been on the straps & lost.
thanks
Bert