PDA

View Full Version : Want to See An Insane Hockey Charity Auction?

trsent
04-06-2009, 05:42 AM
My wife and I drove to Rockford, IL Saturday night to watch a hockey game and maybe bid on some of the jerseys off the players back after the Rockford IceHogs game.

Look at the prices they paid in Rockford, IL for jerseys in the following link:

http://icehogs.com/news/index.html?article_id=1230

Pretty amazing prices. The coach wearing an "09" jersey for just the auction sold for $500 which was cheap. We left after Jack Skille sold for $3600 and he didn't even play in the game that night so I had no clue if he even wore the jersey. The player I wanted, Akim Aliu would sell for more than I was willing to spend, which it did at $1000!

Anyway, I guess if you are a charity selling something, Rockford, IL has some disposable income!

At least we got to see this neat piece of hardware there that evening:

TriplexXxSports
04-06-2009, 06:49 AM
TRSENT, you were in the neighborhood! You should have posted this a couple days before. You could have gotten a free dinner out of us, LOL! The auction was a big success and I'm glad that our community outreach is making its way outside of the area.

I did not attend this event but did catch the briefing on our local news. They had some very nice jerseys and they all went for really good prices, despite our current economy. All the proceeds went to help the children of the community. The $3600 jersey was the most expensive purchase, but it is known that all goalie jerseys hold a higher retail value.

I am glad to see that they were able to raise that much money. By no means does Rockford have disposable income. We just have a very large community heart that will always be there to help the kids.

Thanks for the post, and stopping by our fine little town!

lund6771
04-06-2009, 11:28 AM
wow!

godwulf
04-06-2009, 11:42 AM
I learned a long time ago that charity auctions are generally not the place to go for bargains.

The only real bargains I've ever gotten in connection with charity auctions have been those instances where I've purchased something from a charity auction winner, a couple of years later, for a third of what they paid for it. :rolleyes:

trsent
04-06-2009, 01:56 PM
TRSENT, you were in the neighborhood! You should have posted this a couple days before. You could have gotten a free dinner out of us, LOL! The auction was a big success and I'm glad that our community outreach is making its way outside of the area.

I did not attend this event but did catch the briefing on our local news. They had some very nice jerseys and they all went for really good prices, despite our current economy. All the proceeds went to help the children of the community. The $3600 jersey was the most expensive purchase, but it is known that all goalie jerseys hold a higher retail value.

I am glad to see that they were able to raise that much money. By no means does Rockford have disposable income. We just have a very large community heart that will always be there to help the kids.

Thanks for the post, and stopping by our fine little town!

My Blackhawks season ticket manager told me, as he went to school in Rockford that there are no good steak houses in Rockford, so we ate at the game. The food there is better (and cheaper) than at The United Center! The hot dogs were just ok, but the chicken strips were great, the fetch fries were great and the popcorn tasted fresh and buttered!

I wish I had know you were out that way, I would have gladly had dinner.