• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suave1477
    Banned
    • Jan 2006

How much to ship to Italy?

Hey Guys,

Someone has asked me if I could ship them an item to Italy and what would I charge them.

I have never shipped to Italy before, just wanted to see if anyone else has or if someone can tell me what the cost should translate too?
    Also what the process is?

I did ship once a long time ago to Canada, so I am not sure if it is the same. But since it was so long ago I barely remember what I even did then.

The item is fairly light. I am in New York and to pretty much ship it anywhere here in the U.S. would cost me roughly about $4.00.

Should I charge double to ship to Italy? Should I charge for Insurance? Isn't there something where I have to mark value for an item when sending International?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thank you.
  • stretch
    • Mar 2009

Re: How much to ship to Italy?

At the most $20, but I doubt it's even that high, and you probably won't be able to insure it. Make sure the buyers understands that your willing to scan and email them the receipt that you mailed it, but that your not responsible if it doesn't make it to him/her. Unless, your willing to refund them.

I've only good experiences shipping outside the United States.

Comment

• gnishiyama
      • Aug 2006

Suave,
      I ship no less than 30 packages a week to Japan. USPS is by the far
      the most economical when it comes to international shipping. For any item
      over $150 I use Express Mail service which has a tracking number and
      quite costly however, much less than UPS or FedEx.

Here is a pricing chart for Italy.

This should help.
      Also please note that if the buyer pays via paypal more than likely
      he/she has an unconfirmed address so Paypal will only protect you
      if you use Express Mail with tracking or Registered Mail.

Hope this helps.
      Goh Nishiyama
      Goh Nishiyama

Always buying Japanese Game Used Memorablia

gnishiyama@gmail.com

Comment

• BULBUS
        • Nov 2005

You just have to fill out a customs form at the Post Office. You can calculate postage online:

Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
        sigpic
        donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• trsent
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

Here is a simple page to calculate shipping to any country via US Mail. It is too expensive to use any service other than US Mail. Under four pounds can be shipping at the Post Office via First Class Mail International, but there is no tracking or insurance available for this service.

New rules are that over four pounds must be shipped via US Priority or Express Mail international. This service usually includes some insurance, around $75 - $80 based on the country. If you need more insurance, it is cheaper for Express Mail then Priority Mail to add insurance.

I also recommend printing your postage at home as it is cheaper than doing so at The Post Office. You will need a plastic clear see-through post office documents envelope to ship the box.

Comment

• suave1477
            Banned
            • Jan 2006

Thanks everyone

Goh also thank you for the chart. I was looking it over and I am a bit confused as there is quite a few charts to go through.

To my understanding and please let me know if I am understanding this correctly?
            The cheapest I could send would be for a 1 lb at $1.40

If that is correct? Is that a $1.40 on top of regular shipping cost or is it a $1.40 all together?

Comment

• trsent
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by BULBUS
              You just have to fill out a customs form at the Post Office. You can calculate postage online:

http://ircalc.usps.gov/default.aspx?...ngle&CID=10212
              Just to reiterate: It is much cheaper to print your postage at home and print your customs online. It is neat, clean, and it is so simple there is no reason to pay them more at the post office.

It also prints your customs online which is easier than writing all that junk.

Comment

• suave1477
                Banned
                • Jan 2006

Ok according to the usps calculator it comes out to be $10.30

Am I understanding that correctly? If that is the correct amount should I be expecting other charges once I get to the Post Office? Or does that include everything?

Thank you all for your help

Comment

• trsent
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by suave1477
                  Ok according to the usps calculator it comes out to be $10.30

Am I understanding that correctly? If that is the correct amount should I be expecting other charges once I get to the Post Office? Or does that include everything?

Thank you all for your help
                  Yes, it should be $10.30 for a one pound box for First Class Mail International. You will have to fill out the small customer forum which takes just a minute. If it is small you can use these new Small Flat-Rate Boxes which includes tracking (I am not sure about insurance) for $12.30 online and they print the whole label for you.

These boxes are about the size of a VHS video tape.

Comment

• David
                    • Sep 2024

It isn't that much more to ship to Europe than to the US, unless it's a big package. In my experience, European buyers are as reliable buyers and sellers as American.

Comment

• quiggle28
                      Banned
                      • May 2008

did the buyer ask you to label the package only as "gift" or they will get taxed and nag you to reimburse them.

Comment

• trsent
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by quiggle28
                        did the buyer ask you to label the package only as "gift" or they will get taxed and nag you to reimburse them.
                        I always felt it is the buyers responsibility to know about their own country's export and import policies - How could the shipper be responsible?

They want you to lie and say the item is a gift and then declare the value less than the item is worth so if it gets lost you cannot declare proper value for insurance?

Sounds risky for the shipper to me.

Comment

• suave1477
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by quiggle28
                          Actually he did not ask, that was one of my concerns when it comes to shipping the item.

Comment

• uhgrad2002
                            • Mar 2007

You might want to research how much trouble people have had with shipments going through the Italian postal system. I had a purchase from there get to the Rome post office and disappear. Sender provided a tracking number but no further assistance. PayPal would not follow through with its buyer's protection because the sender had proof of shipment (though they took weeks to come to that conclusion). Only after the purchase did I research problems reported with the Italian postal system and there were a lot of them. Stuff disappears.

Best of luck on it -- Mark

Comment

• quiggle28
                              Banned
                              • May 2008

I sent mine with a tracking number using USPS and the furthest update they gave was that the item was being processed in their postal facilities. The purchaser e-mailed me to let me know he received it, which I was happy about, but also that he wanted me to reimburse him 100$ USD in tax fees that incurred because I did not write "gift" but instead "jersey".

Comment

Working...