PDA

View Full Version : 1949 LS bats with 1950 center brand -- HELP!

Birdbats
04-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Does anybody have a Louisville Slugger bat with 1950-60 labeling that can be pinpointed, without question, to 1949 shipping records? If so, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

There is a bat currently at auction that has 1950-60 labeling, but the last recorded order date for that model for that player was 6/17/49. In its letter, MEARS says the most logical explanation is that the bat is a "transition" bat -- in other words, that the 1950 label was in use as early as June 1949.

The research I've been able to do does not necessarily support this. Here's what I've learned:
The model in question was the player's pro stock model. It could have been ordered by teams for pitchers, other players or minor leaguers after 1950 (the player was a star and his career lasted throughout the '50s).
The two All-Star Game bats I've found from 1949, likely made after 6/17, have the appropriate 1949 center brand.
At least two other bats made in August 1949, a Musial and a Slaughter, have the appropriate 1949 center brand.
MEARS has no evidence of any other "transition" bat from 1949, even though hundreds of bats must have been produced after 6/17.MEARS is comfortable that the bat at auction is from an order of 12 on 6/17/49 because its length and weight (34.75", 32.1 oz.) are consistent with order records (35", 32 oz.).

I am familiar with another bat from this same player with the same labeling anomaly -- which also was sold as a gamer. It's a full 35" and currently weighs 34 oz. To accept it also was from the 6/17/49 shipment, we'd have to accept that it's slightly longer than another bat from the same shipment and has gained two ounces in 60 years.

The point of this thread is not to bash MEARS. I've been trading e-mails with Troy, sharing my concerns and replying to his responses. I've also been corresponding with the auction house. The point of this thread is to find out if something exists that, so far, has not been proven to exist beyond a shadow of a doubt -- and that's a 1950s-labeled bat that can be pinpointed to 1949 records (and specifically, as early as June 1949).

I look forward to any constructive input you may be able to offer. And please, let's keep this on topic. Thanks.

Birdbats
04-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I've been made aware of a third All-Star Game bat with the correct 1940s-era labeling (thanks, Greg). The three I now know about are Robinson, Slaughter and Doby.

I'm still seeking input. If you have a '50s labeled bat that pinpoints to 1949 records, or if you have a 1949 ASG bat, please let me know. Thanks!