PDA

View Full Version : Geddy Lee collects game used!

gatorcollector
04-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Geddy Lee, the lead singer and bassist for Rush, is pictured in the current issue of Spin magazine in his den. Clearly visible in the photo are several autographed and game used bats. The one in the foreground belonged to Shoeless Joe Jackson. Here's Geddy's description:
"It's believed that this was still in his possession after he was banned from baseball. The theory is that when he was playing in the industrial leagues, he was going under an assumed name and still had bats left over from Major League baseball, and this was one of them. You can see where his name has kind of been shaved away a little."

metsbats
04-07-2009, 06:31 PM
That's cool!

Thanks for sharing.

Ozric
04-07-2009, 07:28 PM
He's been collecting this stuff for years and just recently donated a ton of signed balls to the Negro League Museum.

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2249&Itemid=42

Masimen
04-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Yea, he is a huge baseball fan. Watch just about any Blue Jays game when Rush isn't on tour and you will see him sitting right behind home.

nycsports
04-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Here is an article about Geddy Lee's extensive baseball collection:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=broder/070410

cjw
05-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Yea, he is a huge baseball fan. Watch just about any Blue Jays game when Rush isn't on tour and you will see him sitting right behind home.

My buddy lives next to Geddy's brother in Toronto and went with the brother to the Jays and tigers game today - in Geddy's seats - and witnessed Verlander's no-no from right behind home plate. Only second no hitter at SkyDome/Rogers Centre and first in 21 seasons!

Geddy missed it, and I understand, is not pleased!

Rob L
05-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Very cool. Johnny Ramone was a baseball memorabilia collector and I always wondered if it included game used items.

GoTigers
05-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Off topic, but I thought it was interesting... the yellow book in the stack on his desk by Saul Bellow is titled Henderson the Rain King. This was the book that Adam Duritz from the Counting Crows wrote the song Rain King about. Just thought it was interesting that two lead singers from large bands would be into that book.. its not really that popular

Billy77
05-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Yes...To answer your question with Johnny Ramone. He was a collecter...He was a great friend and we also traded many items with each other.

I miss my bud...

Billy

scottanservitz
05-08-2011, 09:38 PM
I was already a huge Rush fan and Geddy Lee has just risen to a new level in my book!

esamples83
05-09-2011, 12:29 AM
I already have my Rush tickets for when they come to Phoenix in July.