PDA

View Full Version : Disproportionate Supply

kingjammy24
04-08-2009, 02:06 PM
over the years, i'm sure all of us have noticed that jerseys from certain players/years/styles seem to pop up far more than any of their counterparts from other years/styles. far more than would seem to make any logical sense at least. i'm curious what items people have noticed this sort of disproportionate supply of?

i'll start with the ones that i keep seeing over and over and over..:

1) 2001 Pujols home jerseys. No auction would be complete without one! i've seen so many of these i'm inclined to think pujols didn't wear any road jerseys at all in 2001.

2) 1992 Puckett road jerseys.

3) 1991 Rickey Henderson home jerseys. of the roughly 15 different ones i've seen, none seemed to show serious use. i've seen so many i almost wonder if henderson was a scoreboard offering.

4) 1998 Wade Boggs home jerseys. sweet mother of mary, did wade wear a new jersey every inning in 1998?

what other items have people seen that seem to be in disproportionately large supply?

rudy.

DoctorLoomis
04-08-2009, 02:17 PM
How about LeBron "gamers"....especially from his rookie season....and almost all with zero paperwork. Also, wasnt there a John Elway turn-back-the-clock jersey from like 1994 that has shown up in multiple auctions...and with different sizes???

Jake51
04-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi,

1994 Elway road throwback - A local Denver memorabilia dealer ordered several of these from the manufacturer back in 1994 to sell as legitimate authentics, not gamers, however after they were purchased by the public and left his hands more than a few have bubbled up to the surface as game used.

Thanks,

Tom

xpress34
04-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Nolan Ryan - Rawlings Home White from either the 1990 or 1991 Season w/ proper tagging and all - usually Autographed on the front of the jersey and listed as GAME USED or TEAM ISSUED even though a TON of these jerseys were made available through some of those crazy late night Sports guys on HSI and QVC back in the day... and some even came from Scoreboard.

Less plentiful are his 1989 Rangers 'GU' Home Jerseys - Rawlings w/ Tagging, etc. Also some 1992 and 1993 Russell 'gamers' pop up from time to time.

The biggest issue with ANY Nolan Ryan Rawlings GU since he went to the Angels is that YES, Nolan 'may' have worn the jersey for a Photo Shoot, Spring Training, or during Pre Game Warm-ups, but ALL of his true GU jerseys since his time with the Angels are Goodman and Sons custom tailored jerseys.

Want better proof? Check any MLB Game pics and you will notice that NEITHER sleeve has a 'brand name' (i.e. Rawlings or Russell, etc) embroidered on it.

There was ONE picture a guy sent me once as PROOF that Nolan wore Rawlings in games... Yes, you could see the Rawlings logo on the sleeve of Nolan's Home White jersey - the only problem is that there ere NO Palm Trees in the background at Arlington Stadium like in his photo. Clearly is was from Port Charlotte, FL - again, a Spring Training jersey.

I am still looking for a Goodman and Sons '89 or '93 GU Ryan (prefer Home White) from the collection... and for the '93 jerseys, there are some Goodman and Sons ISSUED that were never worn due to Nolan's arm problems shortening his Final Season. One thing that Nolan did smart though was he figured he would have roughly 30 something starts in 1993, so he had custom tagging done for each jersey (Home and Away) so each one has a NUMBERED Tag - #1/??, #2/??, #3/??, etc... I have seen one marked #2/18 Set 2 making me think he did 36 jerseys Home and 36 away, but I am NOT certain on that point.

- Chris

kirkb
04-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Yesssss. Barry Sanders 1992 game worn home. 1 exists. I own it. Yet I've seen it sold approx. 25 times. Unbelevable. More to follow on this issue. Also Barry's '91 home(1 exists, I own it.). Gotta do your photo matching folks.

aeneas01
04-08-2009, 04:03 PM
johnny unitas game used helmets - guaranteed to fetch 5 figures regardless of what it looks like. frankly it would be quicker to the list the auction houses that haven't featured a unitas lid during the last couple of years than it would be to list the ones that have! ebay 1, hunt 2, gfc 1, mastro 2 and not a compelling one in the bunch - no matter, they still raked in about $125,000 combined...

allstarsplus
04-08-2009, 04:04 PM
1 & 2) The infamous Cal Ripken TBTC jerseys and the 2001 Ripkens that were post-9/11 with the flag on the back.

3) All those 2006 and 2007 Jeter game used with perfect tagging but missing any Steiner hologram. Maybe these are those Steiner game issued where the holograms were flicked off, hmmmmmm ;)

4) Michael Jordan gamers from the USA team, the Bulls. Sure there are some that are legit while others have very shakey provenance

sylbry
04-08-2009, 04:42 PM
mid-80's home Walter Payton jersey
mid-80's home Eric Dickerson Rams jersey
2000 or 2002-03 Johan Santana alternate jersey
2003 Justin Morneau road jersey
2004 Joe Mauer road jersey

gnishiyama
04-08-2009, 04:51 PM
In my market:

1. Hideo Nomo 1995 Rookie Dodgers jersey with Grey Flannel letters. Boy GF must have been real tight with Nomo.

2. Hideo Nomo 2002-2004 Dodgers jersey with team letters. I have seen over 40 jerseys with my own eyes.

3. Of course, the list wouldn't be complete with the ever so popular Ichiro
2001 Game-Used Jerseys and Team Issued Jerseys. Ichiro must have worn
a different jersey every game and issued hundreds of jerseys.

4. Ichiro 2004 Team-Issued/Pr0-cut Jerseys

5. Hideo Nomo autographed baseballs with GAI Certs~One knows Nomo hardly ever signs especially on the sweetspot yet there seems to be at least 1-2 a week.

6. Hideki Matsui "Game-Issued" bats missing the A and/or M on the knob. These were not issued to Matsui. They were issued to Upper Deck.:p Upper
Deck sold the unsigned bats to dealers after their contract with Matsui ran
out. I know because I was offered them. At best they are game model bats.

Goh Nishiyama

kingjammy24
04-08-2009, 05:44 PM
wow, lots of great responses. robert, how did i know you were going to say unitas' helmets?

re: 2001 pujols jerseys.
i just remembered this post with a 1 dealer offering 14 of them (yes, 14) for $72,800: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=13107

re: lebron jerseys
the ones sized 52+4 likely came from jersey-joe.com who was selling as many as you liked for about $500 a pop. other than them being the wrong size, everything else on them seemed legit. i think lots of folks bought them with dreams of turning them into $4k+ lebron rookie shirts only to be left hanging when it became apparent that lebron wears a 50+2.

re: non-steiner jeter shirts
most of them seem to end up at historic auctions for some reason. many seem to be pre-2005 which i suspect is intended to pre-date the yankees/steiner deal thereby affording an excuse.

re: payton and santana jerseys
another good call. i don't collect football shirts but it seemed like everywhere you looked around 2006/2007 someone was selling a payton bears gamer. i couldn't believe how many there were constantly on ebay and at auctions. in a 5 month span, you could pick up 10 if you wanted to. they seemed to have quieted down. i also remember the preponderance of santana alt jerseys.

re: goh's list
goh interesting list. the '02-'04 nomo jerseys with team letters: given that they came with team letters, how is it that there were so many? were the letters forged or..??

i forgot one of the greatest floods: 2006 david ortiz shirts. busloads.

so the second part of all this that i'm curious about is if anyone has any specific explanations behind any of these particular shirts? the '94 elway throwbacks can be explained via a dealer ordering a mass quantity from the mfr. the lebrons can be explained via jersey-joe. anyone know why there's a glut of '01 pujols home shirts or santana alt. jerseys specifically? obviously superstars are naturally going to inspire gluts but in these cases we're talking about specific years and/or specific styles.

rudy.

suicide_squeeze
04-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Let's not forget the infamous "Barry Bonds home run jerseys".

....................as much as you're all trying too.

Rob L
04-08-2009, 05:58 PM
How about the 2004 Manny BoSox jerseys with his large year flag on them!

AndersonAuthentics
04-08-2009, 07:48 PM
over the years, i'm sure all of us have noticed that jerseys from certain players/years/styles seem to pop up far more than any of their counterparts from other years/styles. far more than would seem to make any logical sense at least. i'm curious what items people have noticed this sort of disproportionate supply of?

i'll start with the ones that i keep seeing over and over and over..:

1) 2001 Pujols home jerseys. No auction would be complete without one! i've seen so many of these i'm inclined to think pujols didn't wear any road jerseys at all in 2001.

2) 1992 Puckett road jerseys.

3) 1991 Rickey Henderson home jerseys. of the roughly 15 different ones i've seen, none seemed to show serious use. i've seen so many i almost wonder if henderson was a scoreboard offering.

4) 1998 Wade Boggs home jerseys. sweet mother of mary, did wade wear a new jersey every inning in 1998?

what other items have people seen that seem to be in disproportionately large supply?

rudy.

Regarding the Boggs jerseys, I don't know how many have sold at auction or reside in collections, but I do know Boggs wore a ton of jerseys while on the Rays. Know there are at minimum 20 jerseys he wore in 1999, so can base an estimate on his 1998 totals from there.

xpress34
04-08-2009, 10:47 PM
wow, lots of great responses. robert, how did i know you were going to say unitas' helmets?

re: 2001 pujols jerseys.
i just remembered this post with a 1 dealer offering 14 of them (yes, 14) for $72,800: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=13107

I read this thread ans saw a comment about cut tails. I do remember chatting with a few guys back in 2002 and seeing multiple pics of verified Pujols gamers and ALL of them had the bottom of the jersey cut across in a straight line and hemmed - no tails. These were all professional tailoring jobs from either Rawlings, Majestic or the Cards staff.

Just my .02.

- Chris

helmets
04-09-2009, 08:15 AM
To go along with Robert's post - I know he is more of a vintage "lid" guy while I track some of the modern "helmets."

Michael Vick helmets. Seems like every month one of the larger auction houses were selling Michael Vick helmets.

Favre helmets. None of them right - wrong model, wrong size, wrong details, yet they keep popping up.

Ray Lewis helmets. Same deal as the Vick.

Other that seem to pop up often - Michael Strahan helmets, Marshall Faulk helmets, Dan Marino and John Elway helmets.

allstarsplus
04-09-2009, 08:19 AM
In my market:

6. Hideki Matsui "Game-Issued" bats missing the A and/or M on the knob. These were not issued to Matsui. They were issued to Upper Deck.:p Upper
Deck sold the unsigned bats to dealers after their contract with Matsui ran
out. I know because I was offered them. At best they are game model bats.

Goh Nishiyama

Goh - Great point. I had a collector looking for a real Matsui bat. I started doing research on what a true Matsui gamer was. I saw the exact bats you are talking about on eBay w/ NY 55 only listed at $350 to $450.

I called John Taube who said like you that they need the NY 55 plus the A and/or the M.

I was able to pick up a nice one!

allstarsplus
04-11-2009, 09:33 PM
re: non-steiner jeter shirts
most of them seem to end up at historic auctions for some reason. many seem to be pre-2005 which i suspect is intended to pre-date the yankees/steiner deal thereby affording an excuse.

rudy.2006 Jeter.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-New-York-Yankee-Derek-Jeter-Game-Worn-Used-Jersey_W0QQitemZ260377527835QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item260377527835&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

Eric
04-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Tiki Barber, Michael Strahan and assorted New York Giants from the past few years. Different cuts, different customizations.

cohibasmoker
04-12-2009, 07:43 AM
I've always enjoyed the 1980's Angels road jerseys. There were plenty of road jerseys (Jackson, Carew etc) on the market but very few home jerseys were available. By the way, the roads were made by Goodman and were untagged while the home versions were made by Wilson and had year tags on them. Humn....

And the debate still rages on about McAuliffe tagging - who's right and who's wrong - who knows? Personally, I'd still like to see a common player jersey from 1975-78 with a collar tag without the blue trim.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net