X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suicide_squeeze
    • Dec 2008

All members, listen up...(MUST read)...

To all GUU members.....If there are still any of you who doesn't think this forum has significant importance in the memorabilia industry....think again.

Yesterday, by pure chance, I was home from work. First day off I've taken in over 6 months. So the mail comes, and I see a letter addressed to me, return address is that of a law firm locally.

I open it, and it's addressed to me. Not suicide_squeeze....my user name here.....MY real name.

It was a cease and desist letter. I called the attorney, had a brief and cordial conversation, and informed him I would not make any more "over-the-top" comments about Grey Flannel, their client, going forward.

Yesterday morning, while I'm home, I get a call on my cell phone from Victor Moreno of AMI. He says he wanted to talk to me about an interesting "Rose" item he just received. He left a number to return his call. I called him back this morning, but have not received a return call.

Today, some guy who introduced himself as "Bob Lacy" who works for AMI shows up at my house. My wife just called to tell me this. The guy wants to talk to me. I told her to call the police and get them there immediately, and make a full report. My wife saw this guy looking through our windows... and mailbox....

I called his cell number and left a message. He has not returned my phone call.

Needless to say, this is alarming. Scarey stuff. I am posting this here in case something happens to me.

Listen people, I just want to say that when times get tough, and disgruntled people are pressed, sometimes it all ends badly. I have some seriously profound feelings that something bad is going down. For obvious reasons, if I am wrong, and all ends up O.K., then we'll speak again here. If not, I suggest you listen to this tread....and live by the "caveat emptor" rule.....just be aware of what you are buying because YOU are the only one who can be responsible for it.

Steve Mears......remember the name
  • dodgersfan
    • Nov 2005

Re: All members, listen up...(MUST read)...

Wow!
    This sounds very scary,I hope everything works out for you and yours.
    Have you done anything else but speak your mind?

Rudy

Comment

• justinlm24
      • Mar 2006

I think there is more to this than you are telling. You must have done something to prompt the visit, and for you to be so worried about it, or to think that you may be in danger. Certainly all of this wouldn't be going on over some comments you made on this forum.....I may be wrong, but there seems to be more to tell.....

Comment

• kylehess10
        • Feb 2006

...something tells me Lou Lampson might be showing up at my door one of these days. I'd ofcoarse invite him in, and show him my bat collection, then beat him over the head with one.
        kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
        http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/

Comment

• momen55
          • Aug 2006

what is this in reference to? i am just curious, not nosey?

Comment

• TriplexXxSports
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by suicide_squeeze
            .....Steve Mears......remember the name
            Is this 'Mears' as in MEARS AUTHENTICATION?

Comment

• allstarsplus
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by suicide_squeeze
              To all GUU members.....If there are still any of you who doesn't think this forum has significant importance in the memorabilia industry....think again.

Yesterday, by pure chance, I was home from work. First day off I've taken in over 6 months. So the mail comes, and I see a letter addressed to me, return address is that of a law firm locally.

I open it, and it's addressed to me. Not suicide_squeeze....my user name here.....MY real name.

It was a cease and desist letter. I called the attorney, had a brief and cordial conversation, and informed him I would not make any more "over-the-top" comments about Grey Flannel, their client, going forward.

Steve Mears......remember the name
              Steve - How do you think they got your real name and address? Are you registered with GFC or is someone playing a prank on you?

Hope all works out!!!
              Regards,
              Andrew Lang
              AllstarsPlus@aol.com
              202-716-8500

Comment

• otismalibu
                • Nov 2005

Note to self...

Add suicide squeeze to my Dead Pool on May 1st.

Only kidding, Steve.

Steve?

Steve?
                Greg
                DrJStuff.com

Comment

• kingjammy24
                  • Nov 2005

you're lucky they didn't send col. rast!

anyway i think howard wolf once received a cease-n-desist from GFC's (real estate) attorney. maybe the implication was that if howard didn't clam up, they would delay his escrow or petition to have his property taxes reassessed.

i, on the other hand, have never been found by any of the houses. maybe it's because i never leave the house without my shrub costume?

rudy.

Comment

• Lokee
                    Banned
                    • May 2008

WOW

words cannot express this thread

Stay safe man desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures.

Comment

• BULBUS
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by kingjammy24
                      you're lucky they didn't send col. rast!

anyway i think howard wolf once received a cease-n-desist from GFC's (real estate) attorney. maybe the implication was that if howard didn't clam up, they would delay his escrow or petition to have his property taxes reassessed.

i, on the other hand, have never been found by any of the houses. maybe it's because i never leave the house without my shrub costume?

rudy.

rudy, that was you. we met almost two years ago in san fran. then you yelled at me saying it wasnt a free show!
                      Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
                      sigpic
                      donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• dodgersfan
                        • Nov 2005

Thats right!
                        Fishermans Wharf.

Rudy

Comment

• Eric
                          • Jan 1970

As long as we deal with facts then there's nothing wrong with asking questions about items these auction houses are selling. This site has been instrumental in making some of these companies accountable for the first time. I would hate to think they are using intimidation tactics to get people here to stop talking.

Oh, and hey auction house geniuses- the FBI reads this site!

Eric
                          Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                            • Dec 2008

I am home, and everything is O.K.

But I am shaken, and have a lot of questions.

I did receive a call back from this guy who came over to my house today. I did not get his name completely correct, as my wife may have misheard him when he pronounced it. But as it turns out, he is a local neighbor of mine, and had heard that I was in "trouble" with Grey Flannel. I will have another conversation tonight with him, as I still don't understand his "urgency" to contact me today, or especially the way he went about it.

My wife didn't open the door when he knocked, she asked "Who's there?" He asked for me, by name, and inquired if I was home. She asked "Who are you, do you know my husband?" He said "I'm Bob "XXXX", I know AMI, I'm in the business." She may have thought that meant he worked for them. In any case, in light of receiving the letter I received from Grey Flannel's attorney, this all seemed to be too coincidental.

I am very unsettled in regards to what has transpired in the last 24 hours. I am not naive. I know it's a big bad world out there. But I also thought there were privacy laws that were supposed to be followed. It is upsetting to know that anyone can find out basically anything they want to know about anyone.....with little effort these days.

That said, I have nothing to hide. But it is a sobering thought when reality rears it's ugly head, and the thought you may have pissed off somebody badly enough that they may be participating in some sort of retalitory activity.....seems to have come your way.

I am not here for the B.S. drama. And certainly I have no intentions or desires to have my children brought up in an orphanage, or to participate in any legal action because of my participation on a forum in a hobby I love. I am not making any accusations against anyone here. There has been a bunch of threads lately posting opinions and questions about a bunch of jerseys in Grey Flannels current auction. It is of the opinion of someone at Grey Flannel that lines have potentially been approached that lean on the "defamation of character" ground. I for one want to make it clear that what has been posted, albeit colorful in words and "opinions", are nothing but just that. Opinions and questions.

Apparently Mr. Russek is upset. I will be calling him tomorrow to attempt to clear this thing up. I hope I am successful in reaching him.

You can speak the words of GOD himself as his messenger....but rest assured, if you say something that pisses someone off, you're asking for it.

I also did have a very nice and lenghthy conversation with Victor. I do not believe that my personal info was given out by him. I am comfortable saying that. And lastly, I want everyone to know that, whatever is going on here, I want it to end.

I don't think that the events of the last 24 hours are all merely a "coincidence". I was shaken by what happened today. I had three relatives (who are in the LAPD) race to my house to protect my wife if need be. As it turns out, that may have been in haste, but GEEZUZ. After receiving a warning from an attorney, then out of the blue there is a guy knocking on my door asking for me? What would you guys have thought?

I still have questions. I still want to know who gave him my address. I still want to know why it was so urgent to contact me today.

Like I said before, I'm not in this hobby for the drama. I would suggest to any of you who want to post thoughts on items.....please make sure you follow the rules spelled out by Chris Cavalier. And don't for one minute think if you upset somebody in this business, there isn't going to be ramifications for it. I didn't sign up for this s#!t, and I certainly don't want to end up in a mess because I shared a bit of history, anguish, and thoughts in my years of collecting. I am here for the pleasure, and to learn.

And I learned from this. I don't want the drama. My posts will be carefully thought out, and far fewer, going forward.

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by TriplexXxSports
                              Is this 'Mears' as in MEARS AUTHENTICATION?
                              Same name, but that, I assure you, is pure coincidence.

I am in no way, shape, or form affiliated with MEARS authentication service (but I did think it was cool their initials spelled out my last name when I first heard of them.)

Comment

Working...