PDA

View Full Version : Way O/t - Who Is Col. James Rast?

TriplexXxSports
04-09-2009, 06:59 PM
O.K, I guess I am a little naive, or haven't been a member long enough to know the 'history' of this, but who the hell is he? Where did he come from? And why does his name randomly keep popping up in threads?

Can any of the old timers here fill me in so I don't feel like such an A**?

Thanks guys! I had to ask this. It's been driving me bonkers since LUND accused me and him of being buddy's! LMAO:D

sammy
04-09-2009, 07:22 PM
A lot of members at the time he introduced himself and began posting, thought he was a shill for American Memorabilia.

If you do a search in regard to AMI, you will find him.

Go to the oldest posts first.

metsbats
04-09-2009, 07:23 PM
https://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/archive/index.php/t-866.html

Here's an old thread.

Eric
04-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Col. James A Rast was the user name which had an IP address showing it came from one of the computers at American Memorabilia. At the time, one of AMI's staffers would post helpful information on this site and apparently someone was using that same computer to come on here as Col Rast, say great things about American Memorabilia and bash the collectors who share information on this site (many of whom were AMI customers or potential customers) Great business move!

TriplexXxSports
04-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Col. James A Rast was the user name which had an IP address showing it came from one of the computers at American Memorabilia. At the time, one of AMI's staffers would post helpful information on this site and apparently someone was using that same computer to come on here as Col Rast, say great things about American Memorabilia and bash the collectors who share information on this site (many of whom were AMI customers or potential customers) Great business move!

Thanks Eric,

I ran across this while I was doing my research about this 'mystery man.' You may remember this. For any others who are interested in this story, it makes for very good reading material.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/379976/thread/1127947912/The+%26quot%3BJames+A+Rast%26quot%3B+Situation-+9-28+update

both-teams-played-hard
04-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Here is a cut&paste of my April 1, 2007 interview with the Colonel:

Recently, I had the pleasure of conducting a sit-down interview with noted sports collector, James A. Rast.

BTPH: Hello, I understand that you just moved to California.
JAR: Greetings, buddy. Yes, I just relocated to Sacramento. It’s a nice place to live, but it is poor as far as sports memorabilia is concerned. A few card shops, but that’s it.
BTPH: I know you have some strong opinions on the current state of game-used memorabilia. What types of items do you collect these days?
JAR: Glad you asked. I am an avid fan and collector of Pacific Coast League Baseball, especially the San Francisco Seals.
BTPH:I saw a Seals flannel jersey for sale a while ago...but it was expensive!
JAR: I have the money to spend, if you have the product I want.
BTPH: Are there many collectors of Pacifc Coast League memorabilia?
JAR: Yes, there are a few. I tried to contact collectors on some sports forum on the internet. Most wanted to gossip and argue. They were like wash-women, who just liked to fight.
BTPH: That’s too bad. Sorry to hear of your experiences.
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5065/rast1wl4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
JAR: As you know, good buddy, I am retired from the U.S. Air Force.
BTPH: Yes sir. I am well aware of your military background.
JAR: If the USAF has taught me one thing its this: cut thru the B.S. and get to the point.
BTPH: I understand you have a passion for the Brooklyn Dodgers.
JAR: Yes! I’m buying anything related to the Dodgers with an emphasis on Jackie Robinson.
BTPH: He played for Brooklyn, right?
JAR: Yes, I think so. He’s a legend.
BTPH: That’s great. Thanks so much for your time, Jim.
JAR: Thanks, good buddy. Glad I could help so many collectors out there.

Anyone interested in helping Mr. Rast with his collection, can e-mail him at: JARast@aol.com

trsent
04-10-2009, 01:31 AM

It is amazing how much I find most sports memorabilia related auction houses have issues with the posts on the GUU Forum. Sometimes the auction houses are not given a fair shake, other times they deserve the questioning they receive.

I find too many auction houses will not discuss issues with members of the forum either on the forum itself or even off the forum. Why I do not understand.

Here is a neat example of positive change - Notice Troy and Dave M. from MEARS have recently started posting on here from time to time? It is nice to see their input on items that may or many not concern MEARS but add to the experts we find on here.

I wish more auction houses would attempt to be a friend of Game Used Universe and work with the members of this forum to better the industry but I do not see that happening more at this time. Many auction houses see this community as an evil which we all know is not true. The information found on these web pages is very informative to collectors and dealers alike. New methods of authenticating have been discovered from this forum and we all should be proud of new ways to investigate items and help prevent items of question in the industry. Not every find is perfect but it has helped more than any other avenue in this industry.