PDA

View Full Version : Authentic Oakland A's Jerseys?

BHawk
04-10-2009, 11:40 PM
I have 3 1970's A's jerseys that are questionable one way or another, and I'd like to see if there are any easy ways to determine authenticity. They are:

1. I bought 4 A's jerseys in the 1990s from the 1980 and 1981 seasons. One has the name Cox and the number 19. Jeff Cox was number 19 in 1980 and '81. However, the year tag is 1975. That would make it Campaneris. The tags look right (I have a dozen McAuliffe A's jerseys for the A's), but it seems unlikely anyone would sell a Campaneris jersey as a Jeff Cox jersey. It's size 40, which Campaneris wore sometimes.
2. A 1977 Dick Allen jersey. Tagging looks right, size 42, year tag is 1977 and it is number 60. It has a new looking NOB which says D. Allen. I think his jerseys usually said Wampum instead of Allen. However, that doesn't mean it's not his jersey.
3. 1977 Dock Ellis jersey. It is a 1977 jersey,number 36 with NOB that looks a little off. Tagging looks good, size 44.

I know I can send them in for authentication - I'm looking for any obvious disqualifiers first. Thanks.

Moustache Gang
04-11-2009, 01:23 PM
BHawk,

Welcome to the GUF Board and it is great to see another A's McAuliffe jersey. I have roughly 75 McAuliffe A's jerseys and most our knits from '72 to '76 with a about a dozen flannels.

I do have four Campys....3 knits and 1 flannel. All the knits are size 38 and the flannel is a size 40. Not to say Campy did not wear a size 40 in a knit, with the A's he may have in his later years. I do have one 1975 green Campy jersey that I purchased in the last year. It had the original A's on the front, no name on back and the #30 on back as well. Without the name on the back you could clearly see the name "CAMPANERIS" on the back. I had the #30 removed and Lon Lewis, the best restoration guy in out there restored the jersey back to a Campy #19.

There are all sorts of items to look at when making a determination if the A's McAuliffe is game used or not. I have seen 2 A's Dick Allen jerseys and they looked "doctored". Dick did use WAMPUM, but as you state he may have had D. Allen's as well.

I have seen one Dock Ellis and it too looked like it was either restored or "doctored" up a bit.

You can send me photos of your jerseys and I can give you my best opinion.

Also if you are looking to sell or trade A's jersey let me know as well.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Weimerskirch
weimerskirch95@aol.com