PDA

View Full Version : GFC Lot #197: 1992 Michael Jordan Olympic Dream Team Game-Used Road Jersey

jordan23collectibles
04-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Hi,

GFC currently has on their Summer 2009 auction, Lot #197: 1992 Michael Jordan Olympic Dream Team Game-Used Road Jersey.

http://greyflannelauctions.com/catalog.aspx?category=42

While looking into to the jersey, I noticed that there is no registered trademark on the lower/right hand corner of the USA BASKETBALL Logo.

I am attaching a close up photo on my GU 92 Away Dream Team jersey

I checked some pictures of Jordan wearing this jersey from GETTY's Images and you can see that the registered trademark is present.

Any thoughts on this?

kingjammy24
04-11-2009, 12:52 PM
i think that's pretty interesting. i guess the big question is why wouldn't there be a registered mark? i can't see it being a mfr error because the registered mark would be part of the whole "usa basketball" pattern that was heat-pressed on. it's not like the registered mark was heat-pressed seperately. so the pattern that was heat-pressed on the GFC jersey was lacking the registered mark. perhaps at the time that specific GFC pattern was heat-pressed, the logo hadn't yet been registered? perhaps the jersey is a sample or prototype that pre-dated the registering of the logo?

very interesting. can anyone show any pics of any of the members of the 1992 US squad wearing a blue jersey without a registered mark?

rudy.

kingjammy24
04-11-2009, 12:59 PM
i noticed the white jerseys (yours and the one that sold for over $38k at REA) don't have any registered logo. i wonder why the blue ones do but not the white ones?

rudy.

both-teams-played-hard
04-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Could someone post or list the Getty photo number of the jersey WITH a trademark. I always thought the registered trademark was on retail jerseys.

kingjammy24
04-11-2009, 01:35 PM
i included an extra off-topic shot i found of jordan lacing up his sneakers because it's a rare pic showing the tagging.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5569/silly.jpg

rudy.

jordan23collectibles
04-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Could someone post or list the Getty photo number of the jersey WITH a trademark. I always thought the registered trademark was on retail jerseys.

Here are some of the Getty Photo Numbers that you can check:

1215072 - not too clear but if you enlarge it you'll see it..

I really do not know why there is no registered trademark on the Home jerseys

trsent
04-11-2009, 02:28 PM
You folks should contact Champion and ask your questions.

jordan23collectibles
04-11-2009, 03:28 PM
You folks should contact Champion and ask your questions.

Joel,

Just curious, will Champion ever respond to a collector if they ask about any of the jerseys that they manufactured between 1990 to 1997, especially the Dream Team jersey or any ASG jersey?

If you have a contact at Champion USA, I would definitely send them an email and request a clarification regarding the registered trademark which is evident in the pictures from Gettys Images.

Regards,
jordan23collectibles

trsent
04-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Joel,

Just curious, will Champion ever respond to a collector if they ask about any of the jerseys that they manufactured between 1990 to 1997, especially the Dream Team jersey or any ASG jersey?

If you have a contact at Champion USA, I would definitely send them an email and request a clarification regarding the registered trademark which is evident in the pictures from Gettys Images.

Regards,
jordan23collectibles

Theo, I have never personally contacted Champion but it just seems if there are so many concerns, maybe Champion would know why some jerseys had an extra logo and others's don't.

I often remind people that the companies that make jerseys are not as anal as we are about tags and logos, as often there is a genuine diffrence because no one making the jerseys cared to look.

This is not always the case, but it is a reasonable thought process.

Nice to hear from you - Are you going to Springfield, MA this summer for the inductions?

mvandor
04-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Joel,

Regards,
jordan23collectibles

It's a longshot and I'm sure Joel knows that, however, I actually did get help from Nike when researching my Jerry Rice cleats and they were helpful much to my amazement.

kingjammy24
04-12-2009, 11:02 AM
i think it would've been really neat if the people paid to authenticate the jersey and who stand to profit from selling it would've a) noticed the missing registered mark b) contacted Champion and c) poured over extensive video and photos to try to see if any of the dream teamers wore jerseys without a registered mark. maybe that's too much to expect from the "authenticators for the HOF" and "standard of the industry" though, even with a 20% buyers premium.

it's like a restaurant that requires you to cook your own meal and then leave a tip for the chef.

rudy.

both-teams-played-hard
04-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Rudy and Jordan23collectibles
Thanks for the photos and links.

Regardless of any trademark variation, letter of authenticity or impeccable source of provenance; Champion littered the hobby with countless 1992 NBA and Olympic jerseys that were essentially salesman samples that were made for Champion insiders and later passed off as "game-worn". I would not trust a single, solitary example, even if sold by Michael's mother in a charity auction.
I remember an ad in SCD where you could even get a customized scrub with extra length and exclusive tags.

kingjammy24
04-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Regardless of any trademark variation, letter of authenticity or impeccable source of provenance; Champion littered the hobby with countless 1992 NBA and Olympic jerseys that were essentially salesman samples that were made for Champion insiders and later passed off as "game-worn". I would not trust a single, solitary example, even if sold by Michael's mother in a charity auction.
I remember an ad in SCD where you could even get a customized scrub with extra length and exclusive tags.

warren h.,

i'm not a basketball guy. what i've seen of the 1992 jordan olympic shirts is that some have a nob with a clearly incorrect arch/font and very few others have the correct arch/font. everything else, including the tagging and the extra length tag, is the same on both versions. to my layman's eyes, it's the nob arch that provides the biggest clue. so the big question for me is did the jerseys that champion released to non-players have the correct vertical arch on the nob? if yes, then i guess there's an issue. if no, then i guess there isn't an issue. i'm wondering how reliable the vertical arch is in discerning between legit gamers and "other jerseys" (eg. the ones you speak of).

here's a 1992 olympic shirt with an incorrectly arched nob:
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2008/1574.html

here's a 1992 olympic shirt with a correctly arched nob:
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2007/1413.html

i don't suppose you've got that SCD ad scanned and ready to post?

rudy.

both-teams-played-hard
04-12-2009, 02:07 PM
i don't suppose you've got that SCD ad scanned and ready to post?

rudy.

Negatory good buddy. No more silverfish bait. Maybe another member can back me up. 10-4

trsent
04-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Negatory good buddy. No more silverfish bait. Maybe another member can back me up. 10-4

I got your back Warren.

jordan23collectibles
04-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Theo, I have never personally contacted Champion but it just seems if there are so many concerns, maybe Champion would know why some jerseys had an extra logo and others's don't.

I often remind people that the companies that make jerseys are not as anal as we are about tags and logos, as often there is a genuine diffrence because no one making the jerseys cared to look.

This is not always the case, but it is a reasonable thought process.

Nice to hear from you - Are you going to Springfield, MA this summer for the inductions?

Joel,

It's nice to hear from you too... I will try to contact Champion USA anytime soon, but it seems odd to see that some jerseys have the registered trademark and the others don't have it all.

There might be 2 templates used for the DT1 jerseys for both the blue and white jerseys, and maybe that is why the registered trademark appears only on the blue jersey.

I remember the Blue jersey on the www.mjauthentic.com (http://www.mjauthentic.com) website and that jersey also has the registered trademark.

With regards to Springfield, MA induction, I am not sure if I can go there due to work committment, but it is my dream to see MJ in the Naismith BHOF.

Regards,
Theo

trsent
04-13-2009, 11:39 PM
With regards to Springfield, MA induction, I am not sure if I can go there due to work committment, but it is my dream to see MJ in the Naismith BHOF.

Regards,
Theo

You should be there - Time and money can always be found to follow something you truly appreciate and love.

kingjammy24
04-13-2009, 11:50 PM
There might be 2 templates used for the DT1 jerseys for both the blue and white jerseys, and maybe that is why the registered trademark appears only on the blue jersey.

what if there's only 1 template? that is, what if the template used on the blue jerseys is the same as was used on the white and the white jerseys do in fact have the registered mark but it's simply not easily visible because the mark itself is white (white registered mark on a white jersey), as it is on the blue jerseys? jordan23, can you check your white jersey and see if there really is no registered mark present?

rudy.

jordan23collectibles
04-14-2009, 03:12 PM
You should be there - Time and money can always be found to follow something you truly appreciate and love.
Joel,
I am still working it out and I really would love to go since this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see my idol "MJ" step on that stage.
Theo

jordan23collectibles
04-14-2009, 03:15 PM
what if there's only 1 template? that is, what if the template used on the blue jerseys is the same as was used on the white and the white jerseys do in fact have the registered mark but it's simply not easily visible because the mark itself is white (white registered mark on a white jersey), as it is on the blue jerseys? jordan23, can you check your white jersey and see if there really is no registered mark present?

rudy.

Rudy,
I looked at my white jersey and there is no trademark that is visible to the naked eye..
I think the next step is to find somebody from Champion USA to confirm why there is no trademark in the white jersey...
Thank you for all you photos and your insight to this thread.
Regards,
Theo

nickacs
04-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Interesting, has anyone noticed that GF threw up as their last pic in the GF 2009 auction with the Jordan blue road Olympics jersey with a blowup of a Getty pic showing no registered trademark?!

So, were there different print runs of the Olympic road jerseys now, some with and without the registered trademark?? Grrr.. just when you think you found something now it's making me think it "might" be legit??

Hmmm...