X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lokee
    Banned
    • May 2008

1992 Juan Gonzalez Gamer

Just curious does it not look like the inscription was added by someone other than Juan ? It just looks different PLUS jersey shows no use.

• suicide_squeeze
    • Dec 2008

Re: 1992 Juan Gonzalez Gamer

Lokee,

Please email me with an email address I can answer to. I would like to talk...

Thanks,

Steve
    suicide_squeeze@roadrunner.com

Comment

• joelsabi
      • Aug 2005

maybe its a coincidence but there is a letter addressed to a tony in one of the documents of reference. so i thought maybe the letter was addressed to 3arod13. regardless maybe tony can help.
      Regards,
      Joel S.
      joelsabi @ gmail.com
      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• 3arod13
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by joelsabi
        maybe its a coincidence but there is a letter addressed to a tony in one of the documents of reference. so i thought maybe the letter was addressed to 3arod13. regardless maybe tony can help.
        Joel, you're correct. The letter from Bob Case is addressed to me. All documentation from D.C. Collectibles, Scott Welkowsky, and Bob Case in this auction was obtained by myself. I also talked to Bob Case back then about the jersey. I purchased the jersey in early 1997, which was later published in Baseball Beckett in November 1997.

The signature on the jersey is Juan's signature from 1992. The inscription was also made by Juan. There were many photographs Juan signed back then with the same inscription, which were identical to this one.

I took a polaroid of the jersey, and sent the jersey and all documentation to Juan. He authenticated the jersey and signed the polaroid for me.

The seller of this jersey is/was also a big Juan Gonzalez collector. He bought most of my Juan Gonzalez game used items.

Hope this helps,

Tony
        Attached Files
        Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• Lokee
          Banned
          • May 2008

Tony,

Thanks for the information. I would love to add this to my collection.

So was the inscription signed at a later date by Juan or the same time he autographed it ?

Thanks

Comment

• 3arod13
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Lokee
            Tony,

Thanks for the information. I would love to add this to my collection.

So was the inscription signed at a later date by Juan or the same time he autographed it ?

Thanks
            Lokee,

Here's my thoughts about the inscription. The documentation from Bob Case states Juan signed the jersey under the "AS" in Texas after the game. He does not mention anything about the inscription. I also questioned why the inscription was darker than the signature. Maybe because the signature is larger, it's not as dark. Where the inscription is smaller, it came out darker. Not sure.

I can say that Juan made the inscription. Maybe that same day. Maybe at a later date. I matched the same indentical inscription with many photos that Juan signed in 1992-93, and it's his handwriting.

Anyway, for my own piece of mind, I took a polaroid of the jersey, sent the jersey and all documentation to Juan, and he signed the polaroid.

I can tell you that I sent items to Juan in the past, and he wouldn't sign them if he questioned them.

Unless you want to question Bob Cases' story, which I don't. Or that the jersey doesn't show obvious use. The jersey is legit. I talked to Bob Case at length back in 1997, and was very satisifed.

Tony
            Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• 3arod13
              • Apr 2006

The signature is definately from 1992. It's also possible that Juan didn't wear that jersey but for that game, hence why no obvious game use.
              Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• kingjammy24
                • Nov 2005

personally, i can see some wash wear on the russell tag. what i do have some trouble believing is bob case's statement that this is "the jersey he wore on the road all of 92". case seems to be saying that gonzalez wore 1 road jersey for all of 1992 and this one is it. gonzalez played in 155 games in 1992. a little far fetched. but a nice jersey nonetheless.

rudy.

Comment

• 3arod13
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by kingjammy24
                  personally, i can see some wash wear on the russell tag. what i do have some trouble believing is bob case's statement that this is "the jersey he wore on the road all of 92". case seems to be saying that gonzalez wore 1 road jersey for all of 1992 and this one is it. gonzalez played in 155 games in 1992. a little far fetched. but a nice jersey nonetheless.

rudy.
                  Rudy,

I agree with your statement. If worn on the road all of 92, it would definately show some obvious use.
                  Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• Lokee
                    Banned
                    • May 2008

fair enough

thanks Tony & rudy

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by 3arod13
                      Lokee,

Here's my thoughts about the inscription. The documentation from Bob Case states Juan signed the jersey under the "AS" in Texas after the game. He does not mention anything about the inscription. I also questioned why the inscription was darker than the signature. Maybe because the signature is larger, it's not as dark. Where the inscription is smaller, it came out darker. Not sure.

I can say that Juan made the inscription. Maybe that same day. Maybe at a later date. I matched the same indentical inscription with many photos that Juan signed in 1992-93, and it's his handwriting.

Anyway, for my own piece of mind, I took a polaroid of the jersey, sent the jersey and all documentation to Juan, and he signed the polaroid.

I can tell you that I sent items to Juan in the past, and he wouldn't sign them if he questioned them.

Unless you want to question Bob Cases' story, which I don't. Or that the jersey doesn't show obvious use. The jersey is legit. I talked to Bob Case at length back in 1997, and was very satisifed.

Tony
                      Tony,

I'm just curious. As a former big-time Juan Gonzalez collector, how come you never tried to meet up with him and ask him about the jersey.

It seems obvious to me, IMO, that the inscription was not originally on the jersey, and was added at a later date. Since you have no documentation that addresses that fact, wouldn't you want to know the facts behind it?

On the other hand, you do have documentation declaring it was signed by Juan under the "A S" of "T E X A S".

Did the fact that you couldn't obtain any rock solid confirmation (other than trying to match his handwriting from other inscriptions and such) that the inscription on the jersey was in fact added by Juan Gonzalez himself play a part in you deciding to eventually sell it?

And could that also be the main reason it is now being offered again?

Thanks for any comments you care to share...

Steve

Comment

• 3arod13
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by suicide_squeeze
                        Tony,

I'm just curious. As a former big-time Juan Gonzalez collector, how come you never tried to meet up with him and ask him about the jersey.

It seems obvious to me, IMO, that the inscription was not originally on the jersey, and was added at a later date. Since you have no documentation that addresses that fact, wouldn't you want to know the facts behind it?

On the other hand, you do have documentation declaring it was signed by Juan under the "A S" of "T E X A S".

Did the fact that you couldn't obtain any rock solid confirmation (other than trying to match his handwriting from other inscriptions and such) that the inscription on the jersey was in fact added by Juan Gonzalez himself play a part in you deciding to eventually sell it?

And could that also be the main reason it is now being offered again?

Thanks for any comments you care to share...

Steve
                        Steve,

Never had the opportunity to meet Juan. But becasue of my persistent in writing to Juan, and my large collection, I was able to keep in contact with someone who was close to Juan. Both he and Juan were impressed with my collection of him.

when I bought the jersey, I also questioned by the signature was different (lighter) that the inscription (darker). I did take a polaroid of the jersey. Sent the jersey, all documentation, and the polaroid of the jersey to Juan for verification, which he signed for me. I can tell you that Juan just didn't sign anything and everything. There were a some pieces I sent to him for verification, and he didn't, because he either wasn't sure or it wasn't good. Never provided an explanation, but a note would be attached stating that he could not sign the item or documentation I sent.

There's no question IMO that Juan made the inscription. I'm just not sure if it was made then or later. The difference in the signature and inscription makes me believe it was made at a later time.

The reason I sold the jersey, was because I sold my entire Juan Gonzalez collection, with the exception of a few pieces, in order to collect Alex Rodriguez. During the time I was collecting Juan Gonzalez, there was an up and coming player, Alex Rodriguez, that I started collecting. At that time, I was collecting autographs, sports cards, and started game used. It was getting too expensive, so I decided to sell my Juan Gonzalez collection, and begin collecting Alex Rodriguez. Juan was getting hurt alot and missing a lot of games.

There are many different type collectors. Some collect to collect, and don't care about potential value and/or investing. Some do both. I do both. I enjoy collecting, but also do it for investment purposes. Some pieces I keep because I like them.

IMO, the jersey, signature, and inscription are authentic.

Regards, Tony
                        Attached Files
                        Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by 3arod13

The seller of this jersey is/was also a big Juan Gonzalez collector. He bought most of my Juan Gonzalez game used items.

Hope this helps,

Tony
                          Hi Tony,

Thank you for the thorough and sincere reply.

Just for my clarification, the seller on ebay is the very same guy you sold the jersey to? I want to ask him a question or two. Thanks again,

Steve

Comment

• BULBUS
                            • Nov 2005

I seriously doubt that the inscription was added at a "later date". Why would someone do that???? My guess is that he switched markers after the signature, or he turned/rotated the marker after the signature.
                            Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
                            sigpic
                            donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• 3arod13
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by suicide_squeeze
                              Hi Tony,

Thank you for the thorough and sincere reply.

Just for my clarification, the seller on ebay is the very same guy you sold the jersey to? I want to ask him a question or two. Thanks again,

Steve
                              Steve,

Yes. The jersey left my hands to his, and he's had it ever since.

Regards, Tony
                              Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

Working...