PDA

View Full Version : what are they attempting to pull here?

ryant7
04-12-2009, 08:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mark-McGuire-Cardinals-Signed-Louisville-Slugger-Bat_W0QQitemZ230336361353QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item230336361353&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A3%7C294%3A50

I don't know about the signature as i am not a autograph wiz when it comes to big mac, but being signed on a "custom" bat they had 1982 St Louis Cardinals burned into ? i mean come on ......

Rossi46
04-12-2009, 08:39 PM
dude, i don't know what you're trying to get at here? They started the auction at .99 cents so I don't think there trying to fool anybody with what their selling. It doesn't say "Game Used" anywhere and it's not listed under the game used section so I don't see what the problem is?

tym
04-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Wow, that is the strangest "Louisville Slugger Bat" I have ever seen....

ryant7
04-12-2009, 08:53 PM
dude, i don't know what you're trying to get at here? They started the auction at .99 cents so I don't think there trying to fool anybody with what their selling. It doesn't say "Game Used" anywhere and it's not listed under the game used section so I don't see what the problem is?

What does game used have to do with anything i posted this under the auction forum and the problem with it is Mark Mcgwire (< proper spellnig of his name as it is not in the auction) never played for a major league team in 1982 let alone the cardinals who of gods green earth would have gotten this bat signed like this ? its just plain ignorant .

treant985
04-12-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't think it's that weird to get a Cardinals commemorative bat signed by one of the most popular Cardinals ever....

ryant7
04-12-2009, 09:45 PM
I don't think it's that weird to get a Cardinals commemorative bat signed by one of the most popular Cardinals ever....

1982 though? i mean he never could of imagined he was going to play for the cards in 1982 .......

metsbats
04-12-2009, 09:49 PM
I can see Ryant7's point. What is the connection between the 82 Cardinals and Mark Mcgwire?

Maybe if this bat was signed by Darrell Porter, Bruce Sutter, Keith Hernandez or Ozzie Smith we may see a connection that made sense.

Also given the status of McGwire and the steroid allegations what Cardinal fan in their right mind would even say McGwire and 82 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals in the same breath?

ndevlin
04-12-2009, 10:16 PM
I dont think its odd at all. Quite simple really.....

Its a 1982 Com. bat that McGwire supposedly signed.

The person that got it signed had an old Cards bat on him, so he had it signed. Something is better than nothing.

Its not uncommon for people to get low end/odd items signed when they dont have a whole lot of resources, or happen to catch a player off guard.

Im not saying the auto is real, but its definitely not an uncommon practice. Not one that should really need its own thread.

bigtruck260
04-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Nate is absolutely right.

I came across this bat, and thought 'this is really stupid' - but to each his own. I have seen stranger things...I will tell you this, if I liked the autograph and it was under $20 in the last 5 seconds - it would be mine.

But...

jobathenut
04-14-2009, 03:29 AM
My same thoughts,"this is really stubid".But i also have seen people ask for stubid things to be signed,like a postcard of a mountain by steve avery(pitched for braves).And i was at a steelers super bowl reunion show in 1999,and as i was standing in line for jack lambert,my girlfriend came back to me and told me someone just asked him to sign a dog coller.To me,.this is a waste of a good bat,as it would be worth more,if let's say,someone from that team signed it,but like big truck says-to each his own,:)

I came across this bat, and thought 'this is really stupid' - but to each his own. I have seen stranger things...I will tell you this, if I liked the autograph and it was under $20 in the last 5 seconds - it would be mine.

But...

suave1477
04-14-2009, 09:03 AM
I went to a Boston Red Sox memorabilia show in Mass. last year and I saw someone on line with a Derek Jeter Model bat waiting to have David Ortiz sign it?????:rolleyes:

people do some strange things

ndevlin
04-14-2009, 10:27 AM
An older friend of mine met Bob Feller in the late 1980's at a minor league game. Chatted with him and pulled out the first thing he had, a piece of paper and asked Feller to sign it. He did. Then reached and pulled the next thing out and it was a business card and had him sign that. Then had him sign his program. Then took off his hat and he signed that.

Pretty much anything can be signed, especially when you arent expecting it.

And anyone that knows Feller knows he signs anything.

skipcarayislegend
04-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Mac on an '82 bat isn't a big deal. Paul Assenmacher once did a show here when I was a kid. It snowed that day so it took about 3 minutes for Paul to sign for everyone waiting. Since he had already autographed our cards and baseballs, my brother and I asked him to sign our hats, which he did. Being the sophisticated collectors we were, we then asked him to sign our hightops. (The nasty ones we were still wearing.) And he did.

suicide_squeeze
04-16-2009, 03:09 PM

But...

Dave,

I have to agree with you.....There are brief moments of recognition in McGwire-esque characteristics of the autograph.....but the more you stand back and look at the whole thing.......eesch.

I'll pass too.