PDA

View Full Version : Kalas, longtime Phillies voice, dies at 73

dodgersfan
04-13-2009, 02:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4064793

cordovacollector
04-13-2009, 02:51 PM
How sad! RIP, Harry. Say Hello to Herb for me.

harpt
04-13-2009, 03:25 PM
I sat with him at lunch one day (1998) in the press room at old County Satadium when the Phillies were in town. I was just a lowly ticket sales kid, but we got to eat in the press room before games.

I didn't realize who I had sat down next to until he started talking. WOW, what a voice.

bigtruck260
04-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Very sad indeed. At least he saw one more championship before moving onto bigger and better things....

RIP

Chris78
04-13-2009, 08:59 PM
A very sad day for Philadelphia and anyone that is a Phillies fan. Harry Kalas to many (players, fans, etc.) WAS the Phillies. I received the call at work today from my father. Coming home just now I was listening to what others were saying and he surely will be missed. I was able to get an autographed baseball last year with HOF 2002 on it and never would have thought that less than a year later he would be gone. He may be gone, but will never be forgotten. His last call for a home run will be "outta here Home Run Matt Stairs" for a Phillies Player.

Chris

allstarsplus
04-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Unbelievable. I am next to the Phillies dugout when the camera crews had descended on the dugout. We didn't know what was going on as it was about 1PM. The Phillies team was pulled off of the field. Then somebody got a headline on their cellphone that Harry Kalas had died.

Then they had a long moment of silence during the game.

After the game, I heard on the radio how Kalas was a big fan of the old Washington Senators and his long friendship with Mickey Vernon.

A sad day for the sports world.