PDA

View Full Version : Help with early 90's Yankees bat - Mattingly used?

Dewey2007
04-13-2009, 11:46 PM
I remember reading on a few threads that Mattingly used to mark the knob of his bats with retired Yankees #'s. I recently purchased a Kevin Maas Mizuno bat atributed to the 1990 season that the seller said had a #8 marked on the knob.

Were other Yankees players in the early 90's known to mark the knob of their bats with retired numbers as well? Was Mattingly known to use teammates bats on occasion? What are general characteristics of Mattingly gamers as far as pine tar application, etc.

I'll post pics of the bat when I get it but just thought of Mattingly when the seller mentioned the number on the knob.

Thanks!

nomarmauerfan
04-14-2009, 06:35 AM
Dewey,
Mattingly mainly wrote the numbers of retired Yankee greats on his bats from the 86-89 season to stop people from stealing his bats. However, I have yet to see a bat of his past 1989 with a number other than 23 on the knob. I doubt that you have a Mattingly bat based on what you've stated. However, after you post a picture, I'd be happy to chime in (as I'm sure George, RJ, and Jim Caravello would as well).

Mike

Dewey2007
04-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Mike, thanks for the info! I knew he marked his bats with retired #'s but wasn't sure of the time frame. I'll be sure to post pics and see what others think.

Dewey

JETEFAN
04-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Dewey,

Mattingly did use retirered numbers on his bats into the 90's. I own a couple of them, one once belonging to Whitey Ford. I have never seen any "good" Donnie bats with numbers other than 3, 5 or 7 in reference to retirered players. Then again I don't think I have seen "all" of Donnie's bats nor do I own them all......not yet anyway.;) I think Jim and others would agree that anything is possible with use and characteristics being the key. Jim any other numbers?

George